Portals

Report bugs and request small uncontroversial plugin changes here
OdinFire
still building aboveground

Portals

Post by OdinFire »

The portals seem to have a glitch in which about 10% of the time i pass through a portal, I am either killed immediately or take heavy damage (sometimes in multiple hits, leading to my death). May this be fixed? Thank you
MisterStrawman
Donator

Re: Portals

Post by MisterStrawman »

You're not doing it right.
morl0ck
pinko commie bastard

Post by morl0ck »

This has never happened to me, it must just be your fault.
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Post by A. Pippenger »

This doesn't really happen to me, but it's occasionally laggy, especially if I try to use two portals in a row.

I have also heard of people dying if they go back and forth in a portal several times in a row.

MisterStrawman wrote:You're not doing it right.
morl0ck wrote:it must just be your fault.

lol great answers. It's possible for a glitch to affect some people more than others, so I don't see why this is necessarily Odin's fault.
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

I'm not sure about the instantly killed/heavy damage, I think that's just suffocation combined with lag. Lag will cause it to look like all the damage came at once.

The thing with teleporting is that it uses a kind of stupid system. Basically how world loading in multiplayer minecraft goes is this:

You teleport somewhere
Server tells you what coords you're at
Your client realizes it doesn't have that part of the map, requests them from server
Server sends requested chunks to your client

So when you teleport, the server sends a message to your client saying you are now at these coords. It's not until your client has received this message that it figures out it doesn't have that part of the world, and then requests it. So it takes a whole return trip (and possibly more because it can take a while to process 20^2 chunks at one time) to load the map when you teleport, during all of this, you will be falling through the map and will be taking damage.

I did report to bukkit several years ago that this is what happens, and that it would be much better if the server would send the chunk the teleport location is in to the client along with the message that they've been teleported there, but this was never implemented.
morl0ck
pinko commie bastard

Post by morl0ck »

I did report to bukkit
Oh yeah, I forgot the server used to be Bukkit. Why'd you make the switch?
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

Because the bukkit project died.
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

Yukar9 wrote:I'm not sure about the instantly killed/heavy damage, I think that's just suffocation combined with lag. Lag will cause it to look like all the damage came at once.

The thing with teleporting is that it uses a kind of stupid system. Basically how world loading in multiplayer minecraft goes is this:

You teleport somewhere
Server tells you what coords you're at
Your client realizes it doesn't have that part of the map, requests them from server
Server sends requested chunks to your client

So when you teleport, the server sends a message to your client saying you are now at these coords. It's not until your client has received this message that it figures out it doesn't have that part of the world, and then requests it. So it takes a whole return trip (and possibly more because it can take a while to process 20^2 chunks at one time) to load the map when you teleport, during all of this, you will be falling through the map and will be taking damage.

I did report to bukkit several years ago that this is what happens, and that it would be much better if the server would send the chunk the teleport location is in to the client along with the message that they've been teleported there, but this was never implemented.
has anyone actually made quality chunkloaders for this game? How does mojang think this roundtrip garbage is a good idea?
SilasOfBorg
Donator

Post by SilasOfBorg »

Legacy codebase. Corner case. There's probably a bug report opened for it but it will get triaged until doomsday.

That's just how big shops work. Trust me, I've worked at one for 20 years and M$ is no different.
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

even with ss13 we're constantly weeding out old inefficient shit from before byond version 500 where there weren't efficient procs to do stuff like that and making the game leaner and able to take more abuse
I can't imagine that mojang/microshit is too busy spriting and coding what the fuck ever stained glass bullshit that they don't have the time, resources, or manpower to take a look at notch's shit legacy code