2021 Map Art Competition

General simplicitypvp.net related topics
ostrich1414
Wiki Janitor

2021 Map Art Competition

Post by ostrich1414 »

Over the last year, map arts have become a fast-growing staple of SimPvP. They range in size from 1x1 to 8x6, and feature a variety of themes from pop culture references to server teams to original designs. As such, we have decided to host the server's first ever Map Art Competition, in the hopes of promoting these artistic endeavors!

Starting today, March 5th, 2021 until March 31st, 2021, SimPvP players will have the opportunity to create and submit their very own map art creations to this official competition! The basic rules are listed below:

-All map art submissions must be 1x1; no more, no less.
-In order to vote for the winner, one must donate one diamond block minimum.
-The voting process will begin on March 31st, and will implement an approval voting style, meaning that players may vote for as many contenders as they choose.
-Map arts may be submitted by contacting an admin to take it.

The winner of the competition will receive the following:

-Their map art featured as a permanent fixture at spawn.
-The contents of a free-for-all donation box, also located at spawn.

To donate to this location box, either arrive at spawn and dump your contents into the labeled chest, or contact an admin to take it for you (preferably ostrich1414).

There is no specific theme for this map art competition, but it is highly suggested that players who submit map arts put time and effort into their creation. Essentially: a solid grey map art with words on it is less likely to win against a well-crafted, intricate piece of artwork. However, as stated before, there is no theme--it is up to the approved voters as to who wins.

Once all map arts are submitted on March 31st, I will begin the voting process (more information will be given later), which will essentially rely on approval voting to decide the winner. The map arts will be placed in a special exhibition in the events world, where the votes will be meticulously counted.

For more information on SimPvP's current library of map arts, see this link: https://simplicitypvp.net/w/Map_Art

For a detailed, easy-to-follow tutorial on how to create great map arts, see Burger_Malone's guide: https://simplicitypvp.net/w/Burger%27s_ ... ng_Map_Art

We look forward to seeing your submissions, and good luck to all participants in SimPvP's first-ever 2021 Map Art Competition!
Yukar9
Admin

Re: 2021 Map Art Competition

Post by Yukar9 »

Can you submit map art that is already built or does it have to be made specifically for this competition?
ostrich1414
Wiki Janitor

Post by ostrich1414 »

Yukar9 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:34 pm Can you submit map art that is already built or does it have to be made specifically for this competition?
Lol, I was just logging back on to the forum to clarify this exact point...

The map art must be specifically made for this competition. Essentially, if it already exists on the Map Art wiki page as of March 5th, 2021, it is ineligible for submission.
Burger
in iron armor

Post by Burger »

I also really hope larger clans don't just vote their own members to victory.

Here's what I'll personally define as a good submission when I vote!! :)
- objective quality - deliberately bad map arts (i.e. truck) are great (i.e. truck) but hopefully submissions are actually artistically beautiful o_o
- timelessness - e.g. no memes which won't be funny in a month's time XD

I might briefly return to participate o_O
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Post by KoriJenkins »

Burger wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:01 am I also really hope larger clans don't just vote their own members to victory.

Here's what I'll personally define as a good submission when I vote!! :)
- objective quality - deliberately bad map arts (i.e. truck) are great (i.e. truck) but hopefully submissions are actually artistically beautiful o_o
- timelessness - e.g. no memes which won't be funny in a month's time XD

I might briefly return to participate o_O
Yeah I'm already positive we're just gonna see groups saying not to vote for any map that isn't their own.

The ultimate flaw in the approval system I think. There might be a way around it somehow.
ostrich1414
Wiki Janitor

Post by ostrich1414 »

The results are in! Say congratulations to iLxgend, the very first winner of the 2021 SimPvP Map Art Competition, with his entry "SimPvP"! This was a very close competition, with iLxgend's piece winning by a mere one vote! iLxgend's map art will now be on display permanently at spawn, and he will also be gifted all of the contents of the donation box and the 1DB voting fees.

Thank you to everyone who voted in the competition, and a special thank you to everyone who submitted a map art, all 13 of you! This was a very fun and successful competition! Also: all of those who submitted a map art will be gifted all 13 submissions as a special reward.

I will be listing the voting results below, from first to last, with all of the map arts finally revealed. Once again, thank you to all participants and congratulations to iLxgend! Let's do this again next year!

---

1st: "SimPvP" by iLxgend (28 votes)
2nd: "Portland Head Light" by ostrich1414 (27 votes)
3rd & 4th: A tie between "Dragon's Outrage" by NirkieSFR and "Anna Lee Fisher" by M_BRIX (26 votes each)
5th: "Worship" by Korijenkins (21 votes)
6th: "You Were The Chosen One" by Lord1 (20 votes)
7th: "Map Art" by Burger_Malone (14 votes)
8th: "WANTED" by 4PIlot (13 votes)
9th, 10th, & 11th: A tie between "#BanAntHand" by diGGing4Gold, "The Wyvernblade" by Nebuelaz, and "Kmmm" by 4540 (11 votes each)
12th & 13th: A tie between "ALL HAIL KING YUKARION THE GREAT!!!" by SkullerG and "HE COMETH" by Redacted_Virus (10 votes each)
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Post by KoriJenkins »

This was clearly rigged. iLxgend's and ostrich1414's map arts were not even finished. Nirkie rigged the vote by having his entire inactive group give him votes. M_BRIX probably did the same though I have no evidence for that (tbh I suspect he did it which is all that matters).

I should've won because the 4 people ahead of me all cheated or didn't finish their maps.
Burger
in iron armor

Post by Burger »

You're telling me iLxgend designs the voting machines and then just so happens to win by one vote!? Disgraceful.
MisterStrawman
Donator

Post by MisterStrawman »

KoriJenkins wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:05 pm This was clearly rigged. iLxgend's and ostrich1414's map arts were not even finished. Nirkie rigged the vote by having his entire inactive group give him votes. M_BRIX probably did the same though I have no evidence for that (tbh I suspect he did it which is all that matters).

I should've won because the 4 people ahead of me all cheated or didn't finish their maps.
You did win. BY A LOT. I'm still waiting for an explanation on why ostrich pulled a suitcase full of extra votes from under the table when I /vanished and was still watching him. Also, why were there more votes than voters? I've heard rumors that many, in fact, almost all of the voters voted for SEVERAL submissions!
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Post by KoriJenkins »

MisterStrawman wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:00 am
KoriJenkins wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:05 pm This was clearly rigged. iLxgend's and ostrich1414's map arts were not even finished. Nirkie rigged the vote by having his entire inactive group give him votes. M_BRIX probably did the same though I have no evidence for that (tbh I suspect he did it which is all that matters).

You did win. BY A LOT. I'm still waiting for an explanation on why ostrich pulled a suitcase full of extra votes from under the table when I /vanished and was still watching him. Also, why were there more votes than voters? I've heard rumors that many, in fact, almost all of the voters voted for SEVERAL submissions!
There were ZERO observers allowed into the voting map while the votes were tallied. The designer of the map itself is the winner? No doubt he had votes funneled into his map from others. This is ludicrous.