Discord & Forum & News

General simplicitypvp.net related topics
KarantaniaAurae
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

Discord & Forum & News

Post by KarantaniaAurae »

News about the server and different important polls aren't all posted on forum (which all players have acces to - even new ones). Forum is also linked on official SimPvP website. Instead they are posted inside Discord server, to which there is no link to, and inside which certain players (like me) aren't allowed because of my political views and opinions. I was told the discord server is not official, but DakkaDok's private discord, which i have no problem with and i don't seek to go into places i am not welcome at.

The thing is for example some polls and news like Ostrich1414 becoming admin and probably many others still aren't posted on forum. Now this makes it very subjective and unfair on admins side and makes one think if admins are truly objective or biased towards other players not in game, but with other things, which admin has power to do.

Now possible solutions would be:

- Create new public discord and put link on website so every player has access to - it doesn't need to have chat or voicechanels, just news and polls channels (If there is problem that players that only played for 1 hour or whatever shouldn't vote on certain stuff, restrictions regarding playhours can always be made)

- Start posting all polls and news on forum (many people say noone uses forums anymore)

- Accept the fact that that discord server isn't private and make it public (least optimal option imo)

- Start posting news and polls(i am not exactly sure if its possible to make polls) on official website

Again my intentions aren't to get my way to DakkaDok's discord, but rather to be informed and have a say in certain polls. I don't see why my political opinions make me not being able to decide on stuff other players can.
Azdin
still building aboveground

Re: Discord & Forum & News

Post by Azdin »

I’d prefer announcement be made in game when you join. If not there then here on the forum. Some people like me don’t use discord because their policy says they record everything. I like to avoid Facebook and discord and things like that.
KarantaniaAurae

I don't really care on which channel or in what way it is done, the point is it has to be coherent and continuous. Not: oh we will post this on forum, but this will go to discord... As for discord recording everything i understand what you mean. But i have some bad news for you regarding privacy and anonimity:

- Today's computers are vulnerable on hardware level, there are intentional (although they will never admit it) backdoors put there so certain people have access - for example just google intel backdoors.
- You have exploits on BIOS level, although "supposedly" UEFI should help with that
- Windows, Apple and now certain Linux distros, even BSD's are collecting your info (Windows 10 for example collects a lot of your info - some say including your keystrokes and similar stuff in encrypted packages to microsoft. And even when you turn off all these options, they still send some of the info to themselves, while win10 also forces you to update if you were to somehow try to prevent telemetry data being sent)
- There data being sent from aplications (browsers, minecraft ...) and you are certainly vulnerable on that front

Even if you were to get computer with physical hardware that has no backdoors (good luck in finding it), install OpenBSD (one of operating systems made to be really secure) and/or use TOR with bridges and perfect OpSec theres still probably some of TOR exit nodes being controled by people you don't want your data in their hands.
You might use Qubes or Tails systems or Whonix but still, you are vulnerable to those exit nodes being controlled and hosted and monitored by someone you don't want to.
VPN will and does collect your data and they will and have in the past given that data to authorities when demanded. They also busted some of them selling your data for advertising etc...

I suppose you use smartphone, don't even get me started on that. There is no true security, especially today and especially when agencies like NSA and many others have big fundings and very smart people working for them. If you start reading some leaked documents and what whistle blowers say this is just scraping the surface, they do many many "dirty" things you wouldn't even imagine. Not to mention those agencies are actively trying and probably already have at least some form of physical monitoring setups over the certain internet atlantic cables and some framework on Deutsche telekom, AT&T and many others big ISP's which are on the highest levels of composure of internet.

I understand you don't want your information to be in someone else's hands, because i want the same as you. But using discord and/or facebook won't actually be any more information treathening than using browser or playing minecraft or using smartphone/normal phone. The only way for you to be safe is have no electronic devices or build faraday cage around your house and disconect all cables.
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Post by A. Pippenger »

I think it would be good if admins started using the forum more for official posts and polls.
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

I agree with this. I think what we'll try doing from now is to always post announcements in https://simplicitypvp.net/w/News - so that they show up in wiki frontpage.

They may be linked to a post on the forum, elsewhere, or nowhere at all.
KarantaniaAurae

Alright then, thank you!