This server's new rule: Dealing with trolling that crosses the line

Announcements about changes/updates/downtime/etc
Yukar9
Admin

This server's new rule: Dealing with trolling that crosses the line

Post by Yukar9 »

We're going to change the 3rd rule of this server. While I think the current joke rule is appreciated, some issues have presented themselves in recent times that I think call for a new official server rule, and to avoid having to have 4 rules, this new rule will take the place of the old 3rd rule. The text of this new rule is:

Do not share any real life information or content, whether fake or not, about people without permission. Do not contact people outside the game without permission. This is a game, let's keep it a game.

So what this rule means is that you shouldn't share any kind of non-Minecraft-related information or content about people, whether as a joke or not, without permission. Don't post fake pictures/information about people. Don't give out people's real names. Linking to somebody's Minecraft-related YouTube is fine. Linking to somebody's namemc listing is ok. Linking to somebody's private facebook is not. You should not contact people or any of their acquaintances outside the game without their permission. You should not be using real life information or content to troll people. You shouldn't harass or blackmail people with any real life information or content, whether fake or not. Photoshopping somebody's avatar is ok. Photoshopping their real image unless they're ok with it is not ok.

We all play on this server because we enjoy the chaos of anybody being able to come and kill us. We all know our base could get griefed at any time, and I think we all accept that as part of playing on this server. But what most people are not prepared for is suddenly being attacked in real life. That is not a fun experience, and while the people on the other end may find it to be very funny, what we've seen with the recent incidents here is that the people on the receiving end become truly scared. That's a very shitty feeling to have, and one that should certainly not come about as a result of playing a video game. People playing on this server should not have to worry about facing real-life consequences for ingame actions.

This rule will not be retroactive, but will be in effect from now on.

Punishment is entirely up to admin discretion. This rule is not entirely rigid, as it's hard to define exactly where the border is. Some things technically against it will not be punished, and some things not explicitly forbidden by it may be forbidden. If possible, we will prefer to talk it out with the parties involved. If necessary, we may tempban and rarely permaban.

With regards to mumble, some people have expressed concern about the recording of audio there. Mumble publically announces when somebody starts recording. If you do not want to be recorded, right-click the person and click deafen. If you know in advance that somebody does not want to be recorded, give some warning first.
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Re: This server's new rule: Dealing with trolling that crosses the line

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

this is why you regularly try to dox yourself to see if someone can find your address on the internet
RevStoningpot
Moron
Location: first star to the right and straight on till morning

Re: This server's new rule: Dealing with trolling that crosses the line

Post by RevStoningpot »

i don't have an address. people would find it hard to find me.