Server downtime for world upgrade

Announcements about changes/updates/downtime/etc
Yukar9
Admin

Server downtime for world upgrade

Post by Yukar9 »

Originally we planned to do the world upgrade in the background, at all times. But as it turns out, the upgrader did not add a constant factor of lag, it caused occasional hickups in the server, so this plan did not work.

We've now been trying to do the upgrade only when nobody is online, but there have been almost no such times.

So we're now going to try the next solution, taking the server temporarily offline to do the upgrade at full speed. I estimate that this will take no more than 5-7 days.

The server will be taken down 1 week from now, on December 5th. It will remain down until the world upgrade is complete, unless progress is slower than expected, in which case we'll reopen the server and figure out our next step.

While the main server is down, a temporary server will be open in its place. This temporary server will be in a completely fresh world. Nothing from the temporary server will carry over to the main server. We've done these temporary servers before, and there's usually a lot of activity as everybody is near spawn and it's low consequences compared to the main server.
Yukar9
Admin

Re: Server downtime for world upgrade

Post by Yukar9 »

Temporary server is now up.
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

Main server is now back up.
NecroaisCC
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

Post by NecroaisCC »

i'm new so, sorry if you already said something about this...
i started playing in the server like 4 days ago ("temporary server"), and when the <main server> open up again i didn´t have any of my items... it's that ok or not??

<Chile.(it quite hard to me to write in english, but i can read :) )>
DakkaDok
OP

Post by DakkaDok »

Yes, the temporary server has no impact on the main (regular) server. No items or experience should be brought over.
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

However everything you do now (on main server) will never be reset.
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

Does anybody want the files for the temp server? Or should I just post them publicly?