Lag in the coming days and potential downtime

Announcements about changes/updates/downtime/etc
Yukar9
Admin

Lag in the coming days and potential downtime

Post by Yukar9 »

Hi everybody, I have some bad news for everybody. The server currently has a problem with the filesystem, I'm working to try to resolve it, which means running some disk-intensive programs that may cause some big lag spikes especially when chunks are loaded. This will likely be the case for the next 2-4 days. Try to avoid traveling fast or walking into unloaded chunks, as you may then fall through to the void and die. We will not be restoring items if this occurs.

If all else fails, the server will need to be taken down for a few days as we reformat the drive.

I'd like to apologize beforehand for the lag and the potential downtime, but this is quite simply necessary to keep the server running. Lag and downtime is annoying, but data loss would be even worse. We should be back to 100% in no more than a week.
yoganick
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

Re: Lag in the coming days and potential downtime

Post by yoganick »

is there a backup of the map in case all else fails?

thanks for great work btw and good luck with the disk, i'm keeping fingers crossed.
Azdin
still building aboveground

Post by Azdin »

I'm having trouble logging in and now the wiki is sometimes not loading properly
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

Yes, we have weekly backups stored in two different locations. It's not so much a risk of everything crashing and burning, it's more silent corruption that would be a problem.
Azdin
still building aboveground

Post by Azdin »

Yukar, do the other admins have the login info for the server host, backup, and domain names? If something were to happen to you. I know this is kind of personal info you probably don't want to give out but would you?
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

Yes, all admins have access.
MisterStrawman
Donator

Post by MisterStrawman »

If it would speed this up, I'd be in favor of just shutting the server down. Most people in-game that I've asked agreed, it's practically unplayable now, so unless it's pretty close to being done, I'm thinking we should do that.
WolfBitten
[rawr]

Post by WolfBitten »

If this is going to take much longer, I agree with Straw. Maybe we could open a little 1000x1000 temporary world to mess around on? Meet new people, build new places, and then go back to hating each other?
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

What I'm doing right now should be finished within 12 hours. But we may still need downtime afterwards.
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

To avoid doing this on the weekend, I'm gonna take the server offline on Tuesday. Should be down for less than 24 hours.