TNT duping

Announcements about changes/updates/downtime/etc
Yukar9
Admin

TNT duping

Post by Yukar9 »

As most of you know, tnt duping stopped working recently.

Lots of you have been upset at that, and I agree it was wrong of us to disable it with no warning. I do not however agree that tnt duping should be enabled. It is both definitely a glitch and overpowered, even if it is useful for certain things.

We disabled it when a mechanism for disabling it became possible through papermc. Papermc has now moved toward disabling it without a config option, unless they reverse that decision the time in which we'll be able to enable it is limited. (https://github.com/PaperMC/Paper/pull/3550 - We're not going to run a custom fork with it enabled.)

We want to correct our mistake of disabling it without giving players any warning, to do that we're likely to enable tnt duping again soon. But it will only be enabled temporarily. It will with almost certainly be disabled by 1.16, and possibly earlier than that if we should have a need to update paper past the version that unconditionally disables it.
SengornLeopard
[rawr]

Re: TNT duping

Post by SengornLeopard »

I applaud the decision to remove duping, for far too long it has been inconsistent with the wording of the rule on exploits, and a frustration to those who could not do the much more harmless and less destructive duping of rails and carpet for map arts
VetoTheNeato
[rawr]

Post by VetoTheNeato »

Personally, i think TNT duping is a necessary albeit overpowered mechanic in an anarchy environment. While I don’t agree with the change, I respect the decision to do so. However, the same cannot be said about the manner of which the change came. These changes should be announced weeks or even months in advance.
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

Additional paper link: https://github.com/PaperMC/Paper/pull/3544

Veto: I agree with you.
Azdin
still building aboveground

Post by Azdin »

I use TNT duping to remove lavacasts. I suggest you greatly increase this setting water-over-lava-flow-speed https://paper.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ ... ation.html at least make it much more annoying for them
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

TNT duping is enabled again for now.
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

Shouldn't we decrease the setting if we want to make it harder to make lavacasts?
egnaroky
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

Post by egnaroky »

tnt duping should definitely be a thing because it is an aspect that adds so much to the game and has practically become a part of it at this point regardless of whether it was intended or not. i see tnt duping like bud pistons.
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Post by KoriJenkins »

Here comes a rare forum response from me. I'm not big on this change, not because I want to use it for griefing or anything like that, but because it breaks farms that have been in the game for years. I'll present one thing to consider. If it is a glitch, why is it still in the game? Why has Mojang not patched TNT duping out of the game?

Dupes get patched, broken villager trades get patched, but TNT duping has been left in intentionally. Mojang knows what it is, they aren't dumb, but the coral fan bomber is about to reach a third update without patching.

What farms are overpowered because of TNT duping? Cobblestone farms? Ice? Realistically there are not many farms that are left overpowered from TNT duping, so the next conclusion is that it's being removed because of griefing.

TNT duping to grief is incredibly inefficient time-wise. You save resources, but a bomber can only destroy a small area at a time, in a single direction, and takes some time to construct. It is much easier to empty a shulker of TNT to destroy a base. Additionally, if the plan is to use multiple bombers to grief an area, all of them need to be constructed, and all of them need to run at the same time.

TNT is not a rare resource. TNT bombers are not fast nor easy to build for most of the server. Very few farms NEED TNT duping to be functional. Mojang would've patched it if they considered it a bug.

I rest my case.