Admins should remove lavacasts at spawn.

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started
SengornLeopard
[rawr]

Admins should remove lavacasts at spawn.

Post by SengornLeopard »

If a player were to make a lag machine, admins would remove it.
If a player were to make a machine that ruins FPS, admins would remove it.
Admin interference is not uncommon on Simpvp.

Spawn is a place all players must pass through.
Even if it is nothing more innocuous than cobble, using a method ingrained into vanilla mechanics...
The lavacasts at spawn have a severe impact on the performance of a player's client, rendering FPS from 0 to 3 for a very large area. This is indistinguishable from lag or the effects of an intentional FPS machine.

An admin should maintain the condition of spawn so that it does not impact a player's game performance. Even if it is a task so strenuous as typing a command every day to clean it. Or simply forbid the creation of lavacasts around spawn.

Having mobs around spawn stop spawning was a real thing, there is a time honored tradition of admin interference to make spawn suitable for new players. I argue that lavacasts have now approached such severity that admin action is acceptable.
MutualistManiac
[rawr]

Re: Admins should remove lavacasts at spawn.

Post by MutualistManiac »

I wouldn't be the best person to give an opinion on this because my computer is too good to feel any of these effects. Personally, I do not think it is that big of an issue, but I would leave that up to others to decide. If it really is making the server unplayable to new players then I would support, but I would want to see evidence of this being the case first.
SengornLeopard
[rawr]

Post by SengornLeopard »

MutualistManiac wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:12 am I wouldn't be the best person to give an opinion on this because my computer is too good to feel any of these effects. Personally, I do not think it is that big of an issue, but I would leave that up to others to decide. If it really is making the server unplayable to new players then I would support, but I would want to see evidence of this being the case first.
My computer is no potato, but I get incredibly bad FPS around spawn, several hundred down each spawn road. If there's any holes in the road, I'll teleport into it before I notice. I tap A or D and i jump several blocks sideways, nearly unplayable. In my opinion it shouldn't even be noticed on lower end computers. Same as Lag shouldn't even be around 18 TPS, we shouldn't wait till lag is 1 tick per second before finding a lag machine!
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Post by KoriJenkins »

Maybe the vines should be removed. DKC seems to believe they're as damaging as cobblestone and they serve no purpose.
SengornLeopard
[rawr]

Post by SengornLeopard »

KoriJenkins wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:59 pm Maybe the vines should be removed. DKC seems to believe they're as damaging as cobblestone and they serve no purpose.
Have there been any tests on their impact?
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Post by KoriJenkins »

SengornLeopard wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:08 pm
KoriJenkins wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:59 pm Maybe the vines should be removed. DKC seems to believe they're as damaging as cobblestone and they serve no purpose.
Have there been any tests on their impact?
I mean they definitely have some impact as things to render. Big or small idk. Most were removed anyway recently by someone.

Here's the problem with us just snapping lavacasts out of existence. It's far far too easy. The alternative issue is removing is far far too hard for players. Alternatively we could disable making lavacasts in the spawn region (which is like the first 100 blocks out of Spawn) but what's the point? So people can do the same thing slightly further out?

Or we bring TNT duping back and that counters it I guess? There's no easy answer.
SengornLeopard
[rawr]

Post by SengornLeopard »

KoriJenkins wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:18 pm
KoriJenkins wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:59 pm

Here's the problem with us just snapping lavacasts out of existence. It's far far too easy.
I don't see how this is in any way a bad thing. It being easy means admins have less of an excuse not to do it. It's not like admins never world edit on sim haha, especially if something is impacting players

I had an argument with someone who claimed they never heard anyone complain about fps issues at spawn, ergo it wasn't a real issue. So I sat at spawn for a day and asked new players if they had issues. They indeed did. It's enough to drive players away, being unable to navigate spawn with 3 frames per second for a few hundred blocks in every direction is terrible
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Post by KoriJenkins »

SengornLeopard wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:15 pm
KoriJenkins wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:18 pm
KoriJenkins wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:59 pm

Here's the problem with us just snapping lavacasts out of existence. It's far far too easy.
I don't see how this is in any way a bad thing. It being easy means admins have less of an excuse not to do it. It's not like admins never world edit on sim haha, especially if something is impacting players

I had an argument with someone who claimed they never heard anyone complain about fps issues at spawn, ergo it wasn't a real issue. So I sat at spawn for a day and asked new players if they had issues. They indeed did. It's enough to drive players away, being unable to navigate spawn with 3 frames per second for a few hundred blocks in every direction is terrible
It's definitely an issue. But I want to find a way to resolve it that isn't just the admins typing something and making it go away. I also don't want TNT duping to return after my mind was changed on the issue.