Nether Roof Re-enabling (again)

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started

Should the nether roof be made accessible again?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:40 pm

Yes
41%
No
41%
I have no strong feelings one way or the other
18%

Total votes: 22

clipchip
Honorary Admin

Re: Nether Roof Re-enabling (again)

Post by clipchip »

tupik wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:19 am You cant get a horse above the nether, silly man.
  • horse in a minecart then activator rail (easiest and cheapest probably)
  • break the bedrock, not super difficult with pistons
  • use the intended entity teleporting feature of /portals
I guess this is probably where you respond with 'HAHA i TROLL u FUCKING RETARD" since I've never actually seen you (and doubt you ever will) even attempt to add anything of value to a discussion since you joined
koeng
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

Post by koeng »

Seems like a niche technical part of the game that the developer's intend to stay in - sort of like TNT duping. That goes along with my opinion of what vanilla should be (they do pretty often remove straight duping though).

The main reason I like it is because lag has rendered slime ships useless in overworld - and I'm a big fan of AFK type machines - and I'd like there to be an AFK travel mechanic available for use.
UltraOrc
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

Post by UltraOrc »

The nether roof being disabled is one of those "strict no cheating" things that simpvp has that almost no other server represents. I would prefer for it to stay disabled - the game is plenty functional with fast travel through /portals, and I have personally found flying through the nether to be pretty doable as it is, dodging lag and lava isn't terrifically difficult to set up bases 4million out or what have you.

I feel so strongly about this I finally made a forum account.

Also I haven't had hardly any time to play lately so I understand if this is a low impact opinion, heh.
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Post by A. Pippenger »

kind of hilarious how people care so much about banning nether roof travel. especially when we already added the completely non vanilla portals and /world. it's like legalizing murder but freaking out if someone wants to legalize jaywalking
MisterStrawman
Donator

Post by MisterStrawman »

I don't know how everyone voted, but I'd guess that the trend is that older players tend toward "no" and newer players tend toward "yes". Newer players want getting to a far out base to be handed to them, where all the older players have already had to work for it. If we enable this, large distances will be trivialized, and there will be a greater risk to long-established bases, which will lead to a situation where the older players are much closer to spawn, and newer players are all halfway or more toward the world border. So it should come as no surprise that I vote "no".

Naturally the older players would mostly eventually rebuild everything further out, much like what happened when elytras were introduced to the game (in my opinion, they also ruin the game to this extent). This server used to be somewhat difficult to start out on, and now you can pretty much get to 90% of where the regulars are in terms of wealth in like 2 weeks. I think making it that much easier would be overkill.
DakkaDok
OP

Post by DakkaDok »

The poll has now run for a week, and the result is an even split. I don’t see a good reason to open the nether roof based on this.
See y’all next year.
Azdin
still building aboveground

Post by Azdin »

I vote no but the poll seems to be closed