Phantoms are just stupid

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started
trppbll
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

Phantoms are just stupid

Post by trppbll »

So let's break this down.
Phantoms made this game mineSLEEPcraft, and its so tedious.
So I thought about some ideas on how we can deal with them.
  • 1. BANISH THEM
Ok i got its the easiest way to deal the problem, but why not? We can all survive without Phantom Membrane.
Phantoms are really broken in multiplayer, if you are basing with 4-5 people playing in the same time, you are gonna have phantoms to deal every single night. I don't want to be punished because i play with other people and we don't live underground like rats.
  • 2. LIGHT BLOCKS
This one wasn't proposed yet but could be a start to deal with them.
What about adding a light-level rule? Same as every single undead mob.
If the players sit in a block with light higher than 6, then phantoms should NOT spawn. Me as an explorer player i would be more than happy to fight them while traveling around the world, i know its dangerous out here but please If i'm in the middle of my city very well lighted i should not be preoccupied about having five F-22 deep diving into my afk ass taking a coffee in the other room. We build cities to feel rested in it.
  • 3. EXTEND THE TIMER
Pretty self explanatory, i'm not a fan of procastinating problems, but at least this will leave us more "breathe".
If you have to punish me with insomnia, at least deal it the right way, i'm spending more time in my minecraft bed than irl-bed.

I think we already have some solutions, nothing has to be definitive, we can always test one way for some days and see if it works, if it doesn't we can always revert but at least we've tried.

EXTRA VALUE(S):
Feel free to add more values/ideas in the comment so im gonna extend this list
  • AFK farming mob will be more efficient, i don't have to play anymore with 10+ phantoms that counts in mob cap but don't adhere to it when spawning (this is how retard this mobs are).
Last edited by trppbll on Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ostrich1414
Wiki Janitor

Re: Phantoms are just stupid

Post by ostrich1414 »

You know I'm always down to ban phantoms, they're an extreme nuisance to Minecraft as a whole and make the nighttime building / exploring experience miserable rather than challenging.

#AntiPhantomersUnite
Azdin
still building aboveground

Post by Azdin »

Could we at least double the phantom timer?
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

I think it would make sense to do something about them, but we need to figure out what would be the least game changing solution and the most intuitive solution.

The real issue with them in my opinion is that you can't stop them spawning without resetting your spawn.

I'm not sure about the light level, if you're under a solid block then they already don't spawn, correct?

We could add a command that resets the timer. It'd be non-vanilla, but it would obviously be so, and its use would be about as clear is possible.

Or we could have the timer reset whenever you log in, so you'd have to relog.
ostrich1414
Wiki Janitor

Post by ostrich1414 »

Yukar9 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:34 am We could add a command that resets the timer. It'd be non-vanilla, but it would obviously be so, and its use would be about as clear is possible.
I'm all for it; even the most minor change that will still somehow decrease phantom spawning is 100% cool with me, they're an abomination to modern Minecraft.

By resetting the timer, would that mean the timer since you last slept?
MisterStrawman
Donator

Post by MisterStrawman »

I don't think we want to get rid of them entirely, since they drop a unique item, but reducing them would be pretty beneficial. I like the idea of resetting the timer whenever someone relogs. Furthermore if it's possible to increase the length of the timer, probably by like a factor of 10, that'd be good. You still won't be able to recklessly afk out in the open overnight, but then if you do want phantoms, just log on and afk a while, and you'll have them soon enough.
clipchip
Honorary Admin

Post by clipchip »

It would be nice to just have a command to toggle if they spawn or not, to keep the difficulty for new people there could be some sort of requirement to unlock the perk though. Some ideas for what that could be:
  • Pay some amount of diamonds (kind of lame since portals already do that)
  • Pay a god apple
  • Defeat the enderdragon
  • Kill a phantom in all 3 dimensions
  • Get all the advancements (probably too hard especially with the dragon egg one, but the most interesting imo since each update you would have to get the new ones to use it again)
brix

Post by brix »

maybe something craftable like a potion that prevents them from spawning around you until you log out. This still leaves phantoms as a threat to high level players when they run out of the potion. Around a base it would be easy to have a good stock and never worry about it. And for newbies they just deal until they get established. Just using a simple command seems to be controversial because it's something we avoid on this server that affects gameplay.
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Post by A. Pippenger »

I hate phantoms, but this server is supposed to be vanilla, and hard. I guess we gave up on that years ago with /world and portals, but still. I feel like everyone being so eager to add features just to make the game easier is not what this server was supposed to be about.
brix

Post by brix »

phantoms are not difficult to deal with. they are just an extreme nuisance. you could say to a degree about most mobs I suppose, but nobody really has taken such an issue before because of how they work. Honestly phantoms are a poorly implemented addition to the game. Tweaks to gameplay for the sake of overall enjoyment should be freely voiced and at least considered. There really can't be true 'purity' to a game that's constantly evolving like this anyway.