Markdown in chat

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

Markdown in chat

Post by 086 »

Minecraft has support for italics, bold text, underline, strikethrough - why aren't we using it?
A small chat plugin that allows you to use markdown-like formatting in chat (preferably with a hour count barrier, like /requestrestart is 500+, to avoid abuse)

Being able to emphasize parts of your sentences, tell people NOT to do things, `code` formatting etc would be a cool addition.
Or does this stray too much from the vanilla game?

If this gets the green light, I'd also be willing to create a plugin for this if needed.
Yukar9
Admin

Re: Markdown in chat

Post by Yukar9 »

I have mixed feelings on this. On the one hand we do have precedent of changing the chat format with the /tell format we use, but that was also a pretty big decision and took a long time to be reached, and the vanilla /tell format is really bad.

I do think it would be nice, but I also kind of like having it be just plain text. A lot of servers have a ton of colors and annoying stuff in chat, and us being entirely plain white text is something that I think uniquely defines us. Though if it's only italics, bold, underline, strikethrough and not colors or that constantly changing text it may not be as annoying.
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

Post by 086 »

I agree colours and obfuscated text (and shit like tags and ranks in front of names) look hideous. This would be only light formatting, maybe colour for links but nothing else.
ostrich1414
Wiki Janitor

Post by ostrich1414 »

I agree that having colors constantly changing and shifting around in chat as people type new shit could get pretty distracting and annoying real fast; however, I am cool with minor modifications like Yukar suggested. Otherwise, I am personally happy with our current chat aesthetic.