Poll: Keep TNT duping enabled

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started

Should TNT duping remain enabled?

Yes
84%
No, disable it
16%

Total votes: 31

Burger
in iron armor

Poll: Keep TNT duping enabled

Post by Burger »

I have been chosen as the sacrificial lamb to make this poll. Yukarion currently plans to disable TNT duping when the server updates to 1.16, below I will list the reasons to keep it enabled.

(Note that "TNT duping" refers to duping TNT which has already been primed, it does NOT refer to blocks of TNT which can be stored in your inventory)
  • Community consensus - a non-binding vote was held in the SimPVP Discord; 74 people voted to keep it enabled, while just 15 voted to disable it - that's 83% support
  • Removes unfair advantage to older players - since new players won't be able to use TNT duping, large farm perimeters will be exclusive to those who joined before it was disabled
  • Enables many essential farms which are not possible without TNT duping
  • Counters lavacast griefs - these are otherwise practically impossible to clear without TNT duping
  • Mojang does not consider it an unfair non-vanilla exploit, as they have decided to keep it until a viable replacement is implemented
If I've missed anything, let me know and I'll add it. I'm also unfamiliar with the technical details so reply with any potential alternatives to TNT duping, if any exist.
Burger
in iron armor

Re: Poll: Keep TNT duping enabled

Post by Burger »

FYI - since I'm personally not too fussed about this issue, I'm not gonna spam people to vote like I did for phantoms. If you want the poll to hopefully achieve anything, you'll have to pester everyone yourselves

also move to Suggestions pls I couldn't make poll there
nddragoon
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

Post by nddragoon »

a possible alternative would be to somehow enable movable tile entities with something like the Carpet Mod. this would let us replace TNT dupers with movable dispensers (something like this, for example) which would let us replace tnt dupers with something "less exploity" (even though mojang themselves don't consider it an exploit). However, this wouldn't really address the fact that sand isn't renewable, something mojang have said is something they wanna change before getting rid of TNT dupers
DakkaDok
OP

Post by DakkaDok »

Moved to Suggestions because I believe it fits better there.
Burger
in iron armor

Post by Burger »

DakkaDok wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:44 pm Moved to Suggestions because I believe it fits better there.
Yeah it does but I wasn't able to make a poll there, ty.

Also, can the no-voters explain why? I assume the reasoning is that it might cause lag.
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Post by A. Pippenger »

A little sad to me how people keep voting for stuff that will just make their lives easier, like with the phantom vote. However I won't be too pissed if tnt duping is legal since it's arguably a vanilla mechanic.
DakkaDok
OP

Post by DakkaDok »

Okay I know we've been over all the arguments on the discord, but I'll quickly lay out my reasons for voting "no" below.

At its core, TNT duping is still a form of duping. It is extremely powerful, and it is undeniably a glitch. The fact that Mojang has chosen to not fix it doesn't change that. I would like our rules to be as simple and without exceptions as possible, and I think it'd be better if all forms of duping were forbidden, instead of just most of them.

I also don't believe at all that TNT duping is a necessary part of the game, as many people argue. It certainly makes a lot of things easier, and some things possible at all, but all those things are non-essential luxuries (easy farm perimeters, fully automatic wood farms etc.).

The only argument that seems somewhat reasonable to me is that lavacasts may become too powerful without a good way of clearing them, but lavacasts have been possible long before TNT duping was, and it never caused major issues. Making legit TNT is easier than it used to be, which I believe is enough to combat lavacasts where necessary.
sev2worlds
[rawr]

Post by sev2worlds »

RIP this thread.
Burger
in iron armor

Post by Burger »

sev2worlds wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:28 pm RIP this thread.
This is what happens when I don't shill the poll constantly >:(
sev2worlds
[rawr]

Post by sev2worlds »

Burger wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:41 pm This is what happens when I don't shill the poll constantly >:(
Unfortunate :^(