Don't announce the new OP

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started
Burger
in iron armor

Don't announce the new OP

Post by Burger »

This is an idea I heard someone suggest on the discord which I hadn't thought of before. Keeping the identity of the next admin a secret will create a panopticon where every player will obey the rules because anyone else could be a covert OP watching them. You could go a step further and not even announce that a new OP has been appointed. Maybe you did.

thoughts
sev2worlds
[rawr]

Re: Don't announce the new OP

Post by sev2worlds »

BIG agree
SengornLeopard
[rawr]

Post by SengornLeopard »

I like this idea because a previous server used it to good effect. A couple issues however
1.) The secret will probably leak out after not too long a time. Same happened on my old server
2.) In same system of old server, people would accuse people of being admin like it was a bad thing. If they didn't like someone they'd start a hate mob like "This person is an admin that abuses their powers", and there is no way to falsify this because you can never prove to not be an admin. You can easily fake being a regular player. Might harm server culture a bit
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Post by A. Pippenger »

When you go into admin/invisible mode, your name disappears from the tab list. This makes it pretty hard to do admin duties without someone noticing your missing name. You can avoid going missing from tab list if you simply use creative mode, teleport, and flying without being invisible, but that also makes it pretty obvious who's an admin... so idk this idea might be pretty hard to implement, even though it's not an awful idea in theory.
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Post by KoriJenkins »

This was literally my idea. You fucking thief.
Burger
in iron armor

Post by Burger »

KoriJenkins wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:01 pm This was literally my idea. You fucking thief.
im going to kiss you
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Post by A. Pippenger »

doesn't matter whose idea it is until someone explains how an admin us supposed to do their duties without someone either seeing them flying and teleporting, or, if they do that invisibly, how people will be prevented from seeing that their name disappeared from tab list. This is more complicated than just "don't announce the new op" it would require like actual programming changes that I'm not sure Yukarion is able/willing to do. Otherwise it will take like 2 days before everyone figures out who it is.
DakkaDok
OP

Post by DakkaDok »

It would probably not be too hard to change the vanish plugin to allow their name to stay on the list. I think the bigger issue (besides the inevitable leaks) is that people like to contact admins for help or to provide information, and that'd be impossible with a secret admin.
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Post by KoriJenkins »

DakkaDok wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:39 am It would probably not be too hard to change the vanish plugin to allow their name to stay on the list. I think the bigger issue (besides the inevitable leaks) is that people like to contact admins for help or to provide information, and that'd be impossible with a secret admin.
Can't you just whisper server in that scenario?
DakkaDok
OP

Post by DakkaDok »

You're right, admins could work talk to Server anonymously, but it'd be inconvenient since they don't know if the admin is actually around. They also couldn't message the admin on discord or the forum unless the admin made a separate anonymous account.
Plus I imagine if enough people work together talking to Server they could deduce who it is very quickly just by checking who was online at the time.