Alternatives to Spawn

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Alternatives to Spawn

Post by KoriJenkins »

If you were online late last night you were probably privy to an open discussion on Sim chat about the possibility that the always rendered Spawn is causing server lag. The reason for that discussion came about due to the very small amount of players online combined with the low TPS.

Several alternatives to potentially eliminate lag were proposed at various times. I'll do my best to list all of them so they can be discussed.

One possibility given was moving Spawn to /world and disable the current Spawn from being always active. This would allow for Spawns to be more easily cycled out, and a one-way portal would take you to the current, now de-rendered Spawn.

Another possibility was creating a plugin to eliminate the checkerboard pattern created by lavacasts, which is a reason Spawn has huge FPS drops for lower end systems, and possibly a reason for lag due to it always being rendered straining the server.

There was considerable talk about keeping the build protections but enabling PvP in Spawn to prevent Spawn battles from ending in a retreat to the protected area followed by trolling in chat from the retreating party.

Yukar proposed nerfing lavacasts so a liquid could only travel 10 blocks from it's source, though I don't think it would resolve the current lag and I don't necessarily love the effect that would have on world generation.

Finally there was talk about randomizing Spawn entirely, making players respawn at a random location within a set amount of blocks of 0,0. I like this idea quite a lot, though I think the radius shouldn't be as enormous as the original 2K x 2K diameter that was originally in place when the server once had it.

Of course any solution that de-rendered Spawn would require the chat bots to actually leave Spawn if the area were responsible for lag. They could simply be moved to their own prison on the events map. Rather than moving them to /world, where they would interfere with PvP battles and such, having them be in the events map would allow for a permanent prison to lock them up in and throw away the key.

Anyway it would be nice to know the thoughts of others. I imagine the goal would be to preserve the ideas of the current spawn whilst culling unnecessary lag.

Also remove the melon farm.
SengornLeopard
[rawr]

Re: Alternatives to Spawn

Post by SengornLeopard »

I am extremely against any form of removing pvp protections at spawn. If people retreat and troll you in chat, so be it. No harm is caused besides that to your ego. If people can be attacked at spawn, then groups would lurk at spawn and spawnkill new players until they quit. Either to save the server from a "raid" or to try and kill the server.

Any change in the nature of spawn must be extremely thoughtful so nobody can ever make leaving spawn impossible. New players must always have the ability to join a game and play. This is why bed trapping is patched, it is unfair for a player to have that kind of control over fellow players.

For instance, melon farm at spawn. A moat arounds spawn would permanently trap people, they'd only fall to death. The melon farm gave them the ability to craft melon blocks and bridge over moats. The melons are also a food source, people would try and remove food sources so new spawns would always starve before finding regular land. Look on 2b2t, people have enclosed thousand block parameters to kill off new players. They removed food sources for over a thousand blocks around spawn.

New players welfare must have priority when discussing spawn.
SengornLeopard
[rawr]

Post by SengornLeopard »

To patch people making it impossible to leave spawn using moats, having spawn be the top of a bedrock pyramid going to the bottom of the world would suffice. Melons would still give players ammo to tunnel into lava curtains safely however and escape that sort of spawn trap.
Burger
in iron armor

Post by Burger »

I don't know why spawn is permanently loaded in the first place. Is there a technical reason for it? It doesn't seem at all necessary to me but I assume there's a reason.

If possible, unload spawn and move the bots to the events area. I'm very much against changing any game mechanics like you suggested with lava casts.

As for the melon farm, I only support that staying because it provides some last resort against lava walls surrounding spawn, as Sengorn mentioned. New players should be satisfied with rotten flesh until they are far enough to start farming food properly.
SengornLeopard
[rawr]

Post by SengornLeopard »

I have reconsidered some of my opinions, I feel that there could be an explicitly worded exception to TNT dupers. They are the only real means to combat Lavacasting. They are the source of FPS consternation at spawn. With TNT dupers, players have in the past and could continue to raze cobble mountains and maintain a safe FPS for newspawns without requiring admin intervention or overhauling spawn. Spawn is terrible, my PC is no potato yet it can still manage to get only 2 FPS at spawn on a mere 12 chunk render distance. This sort of thing could impact player retention.

People are hardly going to grind out a major creeper farm, and expend days AFK to obtain enough TNT to destroy cobble mountains which can be recreated with just 6 steel, a lava and water source, and 10 minutes of time. Perhaps the forbidding of a common minecraft mechanic used across PvE and other servers does not due justice to a server once advertised under the Anarchy category.

Yukarion, are you reading this thread? It seems this problem could be solved simply by reversing a previous and extremely unpopular ruling.
clipchip
Honorary Admin

Post by clipchip »

SengornLeopard wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:18 am i voted to ban tnt duping but that was before the base with all my perimiters was DEMOLISHED by clipchip. please enable it again?
lmao
SengornLeopard
[rawr]

Post by SengornLeopard »

clipchip wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:21 pm
SengornLeopard wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:18 am i voted to ban tnt duping but that was before the base with all my perimiters was DEMOLISHED by clipchip. please enable it again?
lmao
You didn't demolish any lol, don't puff yourself up too much! Because I planned for when Segoria was to be found just like I had a backup ready for Struthio... I had a secret hub made with spare perimeters when I heard it was going to become a scarce resource! (also because I made plenty of diamonds from them, it was my defacto method of mining)

Only one i lost was the wither farm- which was dug entirely manually anyhow