Open up the nether roof?

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started
SengornLeopard
[rawr]

Open up the nether roof?

Post by SengornLeopard »

The rules are clear in what they try to prohibit: actions which are unfair and harm the server. Duping would of course ruin the playstyle, spammed diamond and netherite all over the place. Hardly anyone could try and do 'survival' without being affected negatively. Using exploits to find bases of course give people too much of a significant advantage and they break the game.

Going above the nether roof is something you can do in almost every minecraft server. A large selection of farms are designed specifically for the nether roof. For the vast majority of the community it is just normal minecraft. Ghast farms, Hoglin farms, Pigmen farms, ect. While Mojang patched going on top of the nether in Bedrock Edition, they have refused to patch it for Java Edition, likely because of the community. This is so much so that there are multiple petitions going around for Mojang to let Bedrock players do this.

I can understand if you want to make the server travel more difficult for new players who aren't invited to accessing the world border type player portal chains, such as the dakka portal that gave many players easy access to 15mill+. It is certainly the right of any server owner to modify the server to provide the sort of playstyle they desire. I am interested in knowing the reasons it was forbidden, and if there has been any reconsideration given how the nether roof has become very ingrained in the larger minecraft community.

note: reconsideration doesn't mean reversal of ruling, just if there has been any more thinking done on it.
Burger
in iron armor

Re: Open up the nether roof?

Post by Burger »

I don't see any reason to enable it. As far as I'm aware the benefits would be faster travel and more ultra-efficient lag farms. Neither of those are issues atm, you can already travel and farm plenty well enough
MisterStrawman
Donator

Post by MisterStrawman »

SengornLeopard wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:34 am The rules are clear in what they try to prohibit: actions which are unfair and harm the server. Duping would of course ruin the playstyle, spammed diamond and netherite all over the place. Hardly anyone could try and do 'survival' without being affected negatively. Using exploits to find bases of course give people too much of a significant advantage and they break the game.

Going above the nether roof is something you can do in almost every minecraft server. A large selection of farms are designed specifically for the nether roof. For the vast majority of the community it is just normal minecraft. Ghast farms, Hoglin farms, Pigmen farms, ect. While Mojang patched going on top of the nether in Bedrock Edition, they have refused to patch it for Java Edition, likely because of the community. This is so much so that there are multiple petitions going around for Mojang to let Bedrock players do this.

I can understand if you want to make the server travel more difficult for new players who aren't invited to accessing the world border type player portal chains, such as the dakka portal that gave many players easy access to 15mill+. It is certainly the right of any server owner to modify the server to provide the sort of playstyle they desire. I am interested in knowing the reasons it was forbidden, and if there has been any reconsideration given how the nether roof has become very ingrained in the larger minecraft community.

note: reconsideration doesn't mean reversal of ruling, just if there has been any more thinking done on it.
If I recall we had a vote about this a while ago.

My take is basically, at this point travel is already too easy as it is, and this will more or less end up exhausting the world map sooner rather than later, so in that regard I'm against it. I also think it'd be somewhat of a slap in the face to the players that have actually had to put in the work, as far as traveling goes (but then again, I'd say the same about elytras). I am sort of for it in regard to farms, lag issue aside. If I had to vote on it now, it'd be a no. If elytras didn't exists, it'd be a yes.
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

I agree with what's already been said, but one additional thing I dislike about the nether roof is its aesthetic. A superflat world just seems out of place.

Dakka ran a vote in 2019 viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2602 where the votes came in 9-9. That's more than 2 years, and there has been significant change in server players since then, so we could run a new non-binding vote to see where the community stands.