chess

General minecraft related topics
Krukoslik
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

chess

Post by Krukoslik »

I'm aware that eden had a chess room where games of chess could be played.

I just visited the room myself, and I'm curious as to how it worked. Does anyone know what pieces were used?
morl0ck
pinko commie bastard

Re: chess

Post by morl0ck »

We also have a chess room. You can use whatever pieces you want. I use stone brick/ netherbrick for black/ white rook, birch log/ dark oak log for bishop, jackolantern for white queen, pumpkin for black queen, stairs for knights, etc. Whatever is easiest for you to remember.
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Post by A. Pippenger »

Our system at aggersel was basically a red/gold team versus a white/blue team.

The red team used gold blocks, redstone blocks, sand, diorite, sandstone, various nether blocks, and things like that.

The other team was cobblestone, andesite (EDIT: no I think it was diorite actually), iron blocks, lapis blocks, and things like that.

I don't think it matters really what pieces you use. But it helped us to have a general color code.
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

Krukoslik wrote:I'm aware that eden had a chess room where games of chess could be played.

I just visited the room myself, and I'm curious as to how it worked. Does anyone know what pieces were used?
fairly sure eden used variations of torches, cobblestone, and wooden pieces. I know we used redstone torches, normal torches, stairs, slabs, and a few other things that were easy to break. On the wall to your left when you come in there used to be a turn-taking system that allowed one player to press a button, which swapped which redstone torch was lit on either side of the board to help indicate turn

after everyone left I think I made a small fort out of the pieces and box put a bunch of signs down nearby it
SilasOfBorg
Donator

Post by SilasOfBorg »

Ah, fond memories. Sort of. Box is way better at chess than I am.
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

SilasOfBorg wrote:Ah, fond memories. Sort of. Box is way better at chess than I am.
pretty sure I beat her the first time we played
I don't even try to pursue a particular strategy when I play chess, I only think about one or two moves ahead and only ever try that stupid "lock your opponent into checkmate in four moves" thing that you can do with your bishop and queen
SilasOfBorg
Donator

Post by SilasOfBorg »

Heh. I've fallen for that enough times myself. I like the game but I am not very good at it. Too many possibilities and I have no feel for the, shall we say, heuristics of the gameplay.

Problem with playing chess online is you never know if the person you're playing just plugged the board into Chessmaster 9000. :p