Minecraft for Windows 10

General minecraft related topics
MtlGuy
[rawr]

Minecraft for Windows 10

Post by MtlGuy »

Hey, I've been to customer service hell over this so I was wondering if anyone else had some feedback.

I noticed while booting up minecraft that I could obtain a redemption code for a free copy of minecraft for windows 10 as an existing owner of minecraft.

I entered the code but was unable to download the 'full' game, just the 90 minute trial. After contacting Microsoft about the issue they had me try a bunch of things to resolve the issue like running the game for 90 minutes, restarting my computer, uninstalling and reinstalling the game etc. Two of the CSRs I chatted with seem to believe that because the game is in its 'beta' stage that the game is only supposed to run for 90 minutes regardless. I think that doesn't make sense because then why issue me a redemption code for a free copy of the game when the trial version is available to any interested person. I have emailed Mojang to clarify this point. I'm already up to six different attempts to resolve the issue with as many customer service people.

So if anyone else has tried to redeem their free copy of the game, I was wondering what your experience was like, if it was the 'full' version, or just some version that lasts longer than 90 minutes.
RevStoningpot
Moron
Location: first star to the right and straight on till morning

Re: Minecraft for Windows 10

Post by RevStoningpot »

i don't get it. why would you need a different version of minecraft for windows 10? doesn't regular minecraft work? or are they canceling regular minecraft for a windows 10 only version?
MtlGuy
[rawr]

Post by MtlGuy »

I don't know what Microsoft's plans are for Minecraft. I just want to be prepared in the event that they decide to stop supporting the Java version. I've sent Mojang an email, but their customer service dept is backlogged by a whole month.
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

this is your punishment for downloading the Windows 10® Experience™
MtlGuy
[rawr]

Post by MtlGuy »

I don't disagree with you, LoneSoldier55. I can't say the single player is even an improvement. The only thing that really stood out is whatever block your mouse is hovering over is more clearly indicated in the windows 10 version than in the Java version. Inventory transfers are worse, if you want to move multiple items you have to hold down the button and wait for a meter to charge before the stack will be transferred into a chest or from a chest into your inventory. Interacting with furnaces is worse as well. Graphics appeared to load a little bit smoother, but I'm not sure that would hold up if I was flying at max speed in creative.

Again, the only reason I want it is as insurance in case Microsoft pushes Mojang to discontinue supporting the Java version.
RevStoningpot
Moron
Location: first star to the right and straight on till morning

Post by RevStoningpot »

If that happens i'll want my money back. I don't buy windows programs.
Are you saying they took away shift clicking to move stuff around?
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

MtlGuy wrote:I don't disagree with you, LoneSoldier55. I can't say the single player is even an improvement. The only thing that really stood out is whatever block your mouse is hovering over is more clearly indicated in the windows 10 version than in the Java version. Inventory transfers are worse, if you want to move multiple items you have to hold down the button and wait for a meter to charge before the stack will be transferred into a chest or from a chest into your inventory. Interacting with furnaces is worse as well. Graphics appeared to load a little bit smoother, but I'm not sure that would hold up if I was flying at max speed in creative.

Again, the only reason I want it is as insurance in case Microsoft pushes Mojang to discontinue supporting the Java version.
if they discontinue supporting the java version i'm sure it won't mean the disappearance of it entirely
they might make account authentication for it invalid, but i'm sure pirates and dataminers will find a way to crack it to get around microsoft's jewery, since a biblical amount of modding work would suddenly be discontinued.
MtlGuy
[rawr]

Post by MtlGuy »

After talking to like 6 different customer service folks at XBOX one of them gave me some commands to run in powershell which fixed the problem. It supposedly plays like pocket edition. There's stuff that's not implemented yet like maps, or pigs dropping porkchops. You need a special workbench to make stone type items (a stonecutter) and yeah they did away with shift clicking to move items between your inventory and containers. You either press and hold or multiclick.

There's also no debug screen yet so I can't see coordinates, which would supposedly show up on a map, but again, maps aren't implemented yet, because beta be beta-ing. Also I found it weird that a single mob dropped an entire set of enchanted golden armor, but who am I to complain on the first night.

Anyway I'm glad its resolved just in case.