Increased Quartz Drop-Rate Modifications

Report bugs and request small uncontroversial plugin changes here
Yukar9
Admin

Re: Increased Quartz Drop-Rate Modifications

Post by Yukar9 »

It feels out of place for this server to make it easier to get a block in large quantities just because people like its aesthetics and want to more easily make large builds out of it. I don't feel strongly about it, so I won't fight against it, but I also won't help make it happen.
TheOnlyHash
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

Post by TheOnlyHash »

It’s not vanilla so regardless of the size of change to the rates in quartz, it still completely undermines the idea of having to grind on the server in the first place.
clipchip
Honorary Admin

Post by clipchip »

I don't really care either way on this quartz thing, in my opinion a better 'solution' would be making villagers never lock their trades. It's a stupid mechanic that only exists to time gate buying things you can already afford and it leads to people having hundreds of the same villager in one spot to trade in bulk.
As an example it takes 12 hours (real time) of trading to get a shulker box full of quartz blocks/pillars with a single villager.
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Post by KoriJenkins »

clipchip wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:46 am I don't really care either way on this quartz thing, in my opinion a better 'solution' would be making villagers never lock their trades. It's a stupid mechanic that only exists to time gate buying things you can already afford and it leads to people having hundreds of the same villager in one spot to trade in bulk.
As an example it takes 12 hours (real time) of trading to get a shulker box full of quartz blocks/pillars with a single villager.
I don't believe simple convenience is a reason to change something programmed into the game. If the items take time to get, they are more valuable than other items. Almost every non-vanilla thing on Sim is an addition, not a change. Yes, it takes 12 hours of trading to get a single shulker from a villager, however no person has a trading hall of just 1 villager on the server.
Laz
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

Post by Laz »

TheOnlyHash wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:01 am It’s not vanilla so regardless of the size of change to the rates in quartz, it still completely undermines the idea of having to grind on the server in the first place.
KoriJenkins wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:45 pm I don't believe simple convenience is a reason to change something programmed into the game. If the items take time to get, they are more valuable than other items. Almost every non-vanilla thing on Sim is an addition, not a change.
So custom portals that immediately teleport you tens of millions of blocks away, across literal dimensions, such that you can securely go from a 30mil nether base, to an end gateway, to overworld spawn, and back again, within 60 seconds, is a balanced level of convenience and does not undermine the idea of having to grind, but being able to AFK farm quartz at a drop-rate that is merely equal to or less than the existing manual trading farm speed, is too far and a slippery slope?

Sure, custom portals are an "addition" not a "change" like I'm proposing, but this is nothing more than semantics. Custom portals greatly impact the value of endless items and provide the highest level of convenience possible by allowing you to immediately teleport to any previously set-up location across any dimension. This is also equally true of the custom /world feature that will allow you and another player to instantly teleport right next to each other, even if separated by tens of millions of blocks across different dimensions.

If the primary argument against this minor tweak is that it slightly increases convenience and "undermines grinding" for one specific and harmless decorative block by simply balancing the drop-rate of the existing AFK method to where its feasible to utilise as an alternative to the manual method, should we not be questioning the entire foundation of the server and actively be fighting to abolish those aforementioned instant and almost limitless multi-dimensional teleportation features? Why is the line being drawn so far back at decorative quartz blocks having their AFK farming method simply being made a viable option to manual trading?
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

Laz wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:10 pm If the primary argument against this minor tweak
I'm not arguing against it.