Change the book mod rules back to their previous glory

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started
DKC
[rawr]

Change the book mod rules back to their previous glory

Post by DKC »

this has been a long time coming and i am very tired, so i will try to keep this as short and information filled as possible. book mods on simpvp should be returned to their previous rules (https://simplicitypvp.net/w/index.php?t ... ldid=17023). the way book mods were handled previously allowed for an easier way to write books, whilst still allowing for there to be no incentive necessarily to abuse them. all the illegal ways to use books outlined by the original rules created a grey area, this allowed for people who genuinely enjoy reading and writing these books out to still do so and not benefit from them. the biggest argument ive seen for book mods to not be allowed, pretty much the only one that makes a bit of sense, is that it will make the rarity of books decrease. this is ultimately untrue, because book mods still hold your signature. this being true however, you can copy other books into one of your own, but the book itself is not rare for the lack of original signature. for those who also say that even owning a book modded copy of the book is an advantage, you can still own copies of the books within the new rules, however only digitally. allowing you to still write those copied books even without the auto write feature. this process is just very time consuming and draws all the fun out of creating your own library. so, why chop out a very fun activity that is ultimately unaffecting any process on sim and replace it with the same activity just with an hour of copy and pasting? rhetorical of course, it was a mistake to make the change. so lets reverse it for the betterment of my mental state and all other simpvp players who would want a copy of edgar allan poe. #justice4bookmods
MoWobbler
in iron armor

Re: Change the book mod rules back to their previous glory

Post by MoWobbler »

The main reason it doesn't sound good to me is that it would make books less special. Also, it spams our anti-cheat I believe which is super annoying. The argument that they should be enabled because it makes it easier to make books is not great in my opinion. Cheats make it easier to pvp but that doesn't mean we should enable it. The argument that it is fun is decent I guess, but something fun to you might not be fun for somebody else. I think the rules are good how they are. If other admins think it should be turned on or if a lot of people are dying to see this be allowed, then I wouldn't care too much if it was allowed.
DKC
[rawr]

Re: Change the book mod rules back to their previous glory

Post by DKC »

my main point isnt necessarily that it is fun, but that it was allowed for years prior, shown in the linked rule change. to address the point that it spams the anti cheat however, i know that you can make your console ignore certain commands that appear on the screen. truly the reason i am calling for this change is the fact that very similar operations, like chat logging bots, have had limitations applied to them, like the original book mod rules, in order to allow for these kinds of things to be in the server. the same argument that we can just write books, people can just take screenshots of chat. this isnt something that was discovered then made illegal, it was something that was kept legal by the parameters put in place to avoid any kind of illegal activity. if you can use book mods to not break any of the rules, i do not see any reason to fully strip the ability to use them besides personal belief, but to address two of these beliefs, i would like to remind everyone that modded books still retain your signature and original books will still require solely human input to write. leaving original books and the worth of them all the same. #justice4bookmods