Pick new admins sooner rather than later

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started
Anthand
[rawr]

Re: Pick new admins sooner rather than later

Post by Anthand »

Sellout9 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:43 am diGGing4gold would be maybe the worst possible choice for a new admin. diGGing4gold has hated me and spread false shit about me in chat for the better part of a year because I accidentally gave him 4 shulkers of gp and a blank shulk rather than 5 shulkers of gp, instead of telling me so I could correct this mistake he has called me a scammer and won't accept the shulker of gp I have offering him countless times. If these are the attributes you are looking for in an admin you have severe brain worms.

I wouldn't put it in as severe terms as this but I do find diGGing's inability to let go of grudges (as well as consistently spreading misinformation) to be a problematic trait for someone on the admin team. That being said, he is consistently online at night.
DakkaDok
OP

Post by DakkaDok »

I think mostly everything's been said already, and I agree with nearly all of it.
One point I'd consider though is what you call Neutrality, which I agree is irrelevant / unachievable. Nearly everyone on the server has at the very least some allies, teammates, or friends. I think what should instead be considered is how much active conflict any candidate is involved in or likes to involve themselves in. Yes, obviously I was never neutral at all, I had allies and enemies on the server. But I had zero interest in pvp, raiding, or griefing, and so I was never tempted to abuse any sort of admin powers to gain an advantage over them.

I agree that a candidate doesn't have to be like that to make a good admin, we're mostly all adults here and can separate admin-stuff from gameplay, but I think it helps if there isn't a constant temptation to gain an advantage. I also believe that frequently being involved in things that might have to be investigated for cheating, like pvp or raiding bases, might complicate things for the admin team.

So as for the actual candidates:

clip has said mulitple times that he doesn't want to do it, so unless that changes, he's out anyway.

pork was already admin before and quit, I don't know if he'd be willing to do it again, but if he is that seems fair enough.

I agree that digging probably isn't the best choice.

Kori, MoWobbler, Ton, and Tenced seem like decent choices. Maybe not perfect ones, but waiting for the perfect candidate while the server burns down would be dumb.
TonTheKidRS
[rawr]

Post by TonTheKidRS »

So since my name has been thrown around I want to just throw in a few things in response to some of the things said.

Do I AFK a good amount? Yes. Is that the only thing I do? No. Believe it or not I actually do usually spend at least 2 or 3 active hours a day (not every day, I do have a life) on the server. Albeit sometimes this is around the same time ost and yukar are on, but occasionally I pop on at other hours of the day.

I do not feel qualified to attest to my own neutrality as that is a conflict of interest on every level, but I will say that I am generally anti-grief and dislike PVPing (maybe bc im trash at pvp lmao)

I will also throw in that I do have some experience with game mechanics, server hosting/commands, and stuff of that nature.

As always, pls hit me up if you have any questions or anything. Best way is in disc, but I will try to keep up to date on this thread as well.
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Post by KoriJenkins »

TonTheKidRS wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:00 am So since my name has been thrown around I want to just throw in a few things in response to some of the things said.

Do I AFK a good amount? Yes. Is that the only thing I do? No. Believe it or not I actually do usually spend at least 2 or 3 active hours a day (not every day, I do have a life) on the server. Albeit sometimes this is around the same time ost and yukar are on, but occasionally I pop on at other hours of the day.

I do not feel qualified to attest to my own neutrality as that is a conflict of interest on every level, but I will say that I am generally anti-grief and dislike PVPing (maybe bc im trash at pvp lmao)

I will also throw in that I do have some experience with game mechanics, server hosting/commands, and stuff of that nature.

As always, pls hit me up if you have any questions or anything. Best way is in disc, but I will try to keep up to date on this thread as well.
Yeah I was really only able to include what I had knowledge of about each person. Again, this isn't my list, it was just throwing out candidates who got directly mentioned in the discussion. I'm not qualified to judge any of the people on the list as being worthy or not of the position. Like, I'm not arrogant enough to suggest myself, I'm on the list because sellout9, 4Pilot, and ostrich said I'd be good at it.
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

There are plans to add additional admins. Thanks for the nice list.
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Post by KoriJenkins »

ostrich1414 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:01 am I agree that not only do we need another admin, but we need more than one other admin. Preferably 2-3, in all honesty. With DakkaDok gone and MisterStrawman MIA, Yukarion and I have been the only two active admins, and there are many times where we have our own real-life obligations to deal with that result in the server being unmoderated. Who knows what happens during those unmoderated periods of time. And frankly, from a personal standpoint, being one of the only active admins has been miserable for the last few months. I have contemplated taking an extended hiatus from the server multiple times as a result, but have only declined because I would not want to fuck everyone over with no moderation. Having some help would be greatly appreciated, even if non-admins think it wouldn't. I'm stressing over a job that shouldn't even be a damn job.

I still stand by my original three recommendations for admin: MoWobbler, clipchip, and Korijenkins. Unfortunately I doubt clipchip will ever accept the role of admin (he has declined it twice already and expressed clear opposition against being one on numerous occasions), but I still think he is a very solid choice. I personally think MoWobbler is an excellent all-around choice, and even if his hours are not as impressive as other choices, there is no harm in having him be admin versus not even if it's 3-4 hours a day at most. EDIT: I have edited this to include Korijenkins himself. While I frankly had not considered him at first, the more I thought about it, he is an excellent candidate. He has continuously exhibited a passion for the server, its culture, history, and safety, as well as a dedication to maintaining the rules, even without being an admin himself. He is also the most active player of my three suggestions.

In a lot of ways, the "oldfag" side of me would like to see an older player or two with years of experience hold the title of admin, but other than clip (although even he doesn't play as much anymore), very few older players are active on Sim consistently. I think experience goes a long way, but there are very few active pre-2019 players to choose from. Nevertheless, that isn't necessarily a big deal.

I also largely agree with Kori's list, but Mo, Korijenkins, and clip are still my top three. However, I would genuinely be happy with any of the choices. At the end of the day, I've been fucking miserable and drained from the constant barrage I face as an admin for a multitude of reasons, so it would be nice to have more active faces stand by my side to suffer along with me.
Looking back at this is interesting given Yukar's comments today in clipchip's thread. I do think there's genuine problems created by a lack of admins that aren't limited to cheaters running rampant.

Two people should not face the brunt of criticism and the expectations placed upon them when they're currently undermanned are unreasonable. It's neither healthy nor productive. At the same time it shouldn't fall to just two people to make potentially large decisions on major events.

Historically the server hasn't been as on edge or antagonistic towards admins, and it's not helping at all that there are just two to deal with it. A takeaway I had hoped might come from making this thread was the recognition on the part of some people that there are reasons the admins don't engage with them about AntHand or other situations; they're exhausted.

I still believe activity is the most important trait for that reason. The others are important too, but what use is a neutral admin who barely plays, or a technically attuned admin that barely plays? Is that meaningfully improving the server? Is it meaningfully improving the lives of the other admins on the team? You might own a nice car, but if you never get to drive it, you bought it for no reason.

Whatever happens is ultimately up to Yukarion and ostrich (and maybe Strawman and possibly even DakkaDok). Right now there's no major crisis facing the server, and the only real issue the admins have had a discussion about (I assume) is the Base Restoration thing. But in a week or a month anything can happen. A new exploit might be discovered, a YouTuber might make a video on the server, ostrich might have to take an extended leave of absence, and it's better to be prepared for the worst case scenario at all times.