Unbanning Resuki_xD and iDenyMyCrits

Announcements about changes/updates/downtime/etc
ostrich1414
Wiki Janitor

Unbanning Resuki_xD and iDenyMyCrits

Post by ostrich1414 »

As many of you have heard by now, Resuki_xD and iDenyMyCrits, both of whom were previously jailed for the clay patch diamond mining exploit not too long ago (original announcement regarding its illegality here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2790), will now be getting reduced sentences and will be unjailed in a month from there jail date (Resuki_xD on June 26th, iDenyMyCrits on June 30th).

There are many reasons for this change, but the primary reasons are the following: at the time at which both players utilized the clay patch exploit, neither were knowledgeable of its illegality and were able to prove so (of course, since then, we have changed this by increasing awareness on its illegality); and both players clearly did so with no malicious intent, as the exploit was a popular tool many Minecraft players in general have been playing around with, many of whom were on SimPvP itself.

There have been other SimPvP players who were also jailed for this same exploit, other than Resuki_xD and iDenyMyCrits, but I unfortunately do not know the contexts of their actions and jailings as well as these two (none of them have reached out to me yet either). However, should they do so, we will look into their cases too.

That being said, it is crucial to note that this exploit is still illegal and will result in a jailing. Now that knowledge of its illegality is much more widespread than before, there should be no excuse anymore (there are now signs at spawn, a chat message, and information all over the wiki, forums, and Discord). While I have looked extensively into Resuki_xD and iDenyMyCrits' cases, and have come to find that they deserve a lighter sentence, the same cannot be said for new offenders. Still, this is a pretty rare occasion as we do not normally reduce jail sentences like this, and will only be doing so due to above circumstances, primarily regarding the ineffective communication about the exploit's legal status.
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Re: Unbanning Resuki_xD and iDenyMyCrits

Post by KoriJenkins »

It seems like in situations where someone can verifiably prove they didn't know something wasn't allowed, this would be a good approach. Though at the same time, I would reserve it solely for established players. Every new player shouldn't be given some avenue to an immediate release because they insist they didn't read the signs saying "don't hack."

Similar to the AGTcraft situation. Apparently he didn't know looking through unloaded chunks constituted x-ray. If that was something he could prove, it wouldn't be the worst idea to give him a lesser sentence.

Alas, that's up to y'all. Anytime some kind of new potential thing like this is introduced, it leads to people begging for shit they aren't entitled to.

Also ostrich griefed North Koria.
Anthand
[rawr]

Post by Anthand »

KoriJenkins wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:44 am It seems like in situations where someone can verifiably prove they didn't know something wasn't allowed, this would be a good approach. Though at the same time, I would reserve it solely for established players. Every new player shouldn't be given some avenue to an immediate release because they insist they didn't read the signs saying "don't hack."

Similar to the AGTcraft situation. Apparently he didn't know looking through unloaded chunks constituted x-ray. If that was something he could prove, it wouldn't be the worst idea to give him a lesser sentence.

Alas, that's up to y'all. Anytime some kind of new potential thing like this is introduced, it leads to people begging for shit they aren't entitled to.

Also ostrich griefed North Koria.
Who asked
Burger
in iron armor

Post by Burger »

Good decision. And I don't think it'll lead to some slippery slope, since this is probably the only rule people could have legitimately broken by accident. Hacking is very clearly not allowed and anyone who claims they didn't know is either lying or dumb enough to deserve the ban.

As for Kori's example with AGTcraft, xraying through chunks is kind of obviously not allowed, so that case shouldn't get the same benefit of doubt.