Suggestion to make Sim PVP more PVP focused

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started
SengornLeopard
[rawr]

Suggestion to make Sim PVP more PVP focused

Post by SengornLeopard »

Simplicity has a long history of trying to be PVP oriented. In its early days people lived far from spawn and the focus was on community rather than fighting. An extremely unpopular decision to force players together with an absurdly small world border causes many players to quit. As a compromise later the /world was born. It is easy for a player to access, they lose real gear, and the small world border makes it extremely difficult to escape an aggressive player. It is still used however mostly for trading rather than PvP. Players set up their own events and parties and PVP competitions in the regular world.

I suggest a new commodity, allowing players to kill other players and drop player heads. This provides an incentive to attack people. People would compete to have the most complete or largest head collection. If a players head is mass produced on purpose it would lose its value. If a player is harder to kill their head becomes more rare and thus valuable. This would be a new aspect to the economy which would incentivize PvP, yet has no real change to how players play the game. They are merely decorative and give no advantage or otherwise affect regular gameplay.

As players can obtain mob heads easily since the aquatic update, heads as an item are common. I do not think that adding player heads would ruin the 'pseudo-vanilla' server aspect considering how invasive the /world and player portal plugins are already.
MutualistManiac
[rawr]

Re: Suggestion to make Sim PVP more PVP focused

Post by MutualistManiac »

I totally agree with this, but also I think we should remove /world. I am a radical with this. I would support straight up remaining the server to Simplicity instead of SimplicityPVP. It's not a PVP server, and passing it off as such is worse than whoever went around on the server listing sights calling it an anarchy server.

Kills in /world are cheap, even end traping takes more effort. With /world this commodity will simply be mass-produced and dispersed so heads are as rare as cobblestone. Removing /world would do good things for things like this as well as for other rare items.
SengornLeopard
[rawr]

Post by SengornLeopard »

MutualistManiac wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:31 am I totally agree with this, but also I think we should remove /world. I am a radical with this. I would support straight up remaining the server to Simplicity instead of SimplicityPVP. It's not a PVP server, and passing it off as such is worse than whoever went around on the server listing sights calling it an anarchy server.

Kills in /world are cheap, even end traping takes more effort. With /world this commodity will simply be mass-produced and dispersed so heads are as rare as cobblestone. Removing /world would do good things for things like this as well as for other rare items.
I agree with everything you just said.
Burger
in iron armor

Post by Burger »

Semi-related, my suggestion to remove /world and create a plugin to make end gateways teleport you to a random location on the main island, rather than the same spot every time (to prevent traps): viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2782
ostrich1414
Wiki Janitor

Post by ostrich1414 »

MutualistManiac wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:31 am I would support straight up remaining the server to Simplicity instead of SimplicityPVP. It's not a PVP server, and passing it off as such is worse than whoever went around on the server listing sights calling it an anarchy server.
Facts ngl. I hate the "pvp server" mantra people use, that title is super outdated in my opinion. Times change, and after a decade SimPvP has changed from an exclusively pvp-centered server to one with far more engaging and enjoyable activities to do. PvP is still a common pastime on the server, of course, but it shouldn't be considered the "be all end all" of Sim.

As for /world, I actually like having /world on the server just for its cultural value, and also because I'm a casual player who likes easy trade lol. But I do agree that it's tiresome forcing a "pvp" aesthetic down peoples' throats when that hasn't really been the case since like 2013.
Porkington2
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

Post by Porkington2 »

We still have PvP allowed so it's still a PvP type server. It just doesn't feel like it if you choose to live 10 million blocks from spawn. Also it's just literally in the server name, the wiki name, even the url of this forum, so idk how we could change it really. We couldn't possibly make PvP more allowed unless we removed the tiny no-PvP zone inside spawn, there's already PvP enabled on >99.99% of the server lol.

Honestly the much bigger problem is that we have "simple" in the name. How the fuck are /world and portals simple? That's much more unusual and complex than most vanilla servers I've played on. Would make way more sense to remove "sim" than "pvp" honstly.

Anyway, adding player heads wouldn't be a big problem, I guess we could do it if people want. People will mainly just collaborate and sell heads if they don't like PvP, though. Won't make a huge difference I'd expect.
sev2worlds
[rawr]

Post by sev2worlds »

Porkington2 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:22 am Anyway, adding player heads wouldn't be a big problem, I guess we could do it if people want. People will mainly just collaborate and sell heads if they don't like PvP, though. Won't make a huge difference I'd expect.
Honestly this could make a good insentive system, but the biggest problem is the current predictability of PvP, and the ease at which you could escape. Players were constantly hunting you, but that doesn't happen anymore, plus gear isn't a real insentive anymore, so its simply a waste of time for anyone who wants to do it if they weren't only looking for "bragging points". For players escaping I think having a PvP tag mechanic could work, so when you get hit by another player you can no longer use your elytra(?)... something that makes it harder for you to escape so fighting occurs more often than running.
SengornLeopard
[rawr]

Post by SengornLeopard »

sev2worlds wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:49 pm
Porkington2 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:22 am Anyway, adding player heads wouldn't be a big problem, I guess we could do it if people want. People will mainly just collaborate and sell heads if they don't like PvP, though. Won't make a huge difference I'd expect.
something that makes it harder for you to escape so fighting occurs more often than running.
I vehemently oppose anything that makes it difficult to escape a fight. I think that players should even be allowed to PVP log again. I think that if someone wants to prevent an escape, they should get better at killing, not have a plugin hold their target captive for them.

The game already gives every advantage to griefers over builders. If your base is found, there is no realistic method to defend it. Your base is GONE. Now you suggest that similarly anytime a player is found, the attacker is pretty much guaranteed a kill because a plugin is holding their arms behind their backs while the aggressor beats on them.

If I wanted to be forced to let an aggressive player kill me, I would go to /world where the world border is so small that another player can easily prevent you from leaving just by being close to you and flying near you with elytra. There should be gameplay mechanics to favor the passive player- or at least ones that don't force them to adhere to the sentiment of the aggressive ones.