Possible Heavy Lag Source

General simplicitypvp.net related topics
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Possible Heavy Lag Source

Post by KoriJenkins »

A few days ago late at night Aluminisin was working on the mechanics of one of his farms to see if he could find a cause of lag. He came across 13 stacks of excess/junk items that were sitting on top of either a locked or full hopper and being left to tick out of existence instead of being destroyed by being dropped into lava or some other thing.

The TPS when he removed the 13 stacks of items went from about 11 to 18-19, a pretty massive spike from removing a small amount of items.

Is it possible that locked or full hoppers could be causing more lag than normal if items sit on top of them like this? If so, is that something a plugin could remedy, or would the solution just be to recommend people attach disposal systems onto their farms?
MoWobbler
in iron armor

Re: Possible Heavy Lag Source

Post by MoWobbler »

I tried recreating this on the build server by putting 72 stacks of stone on a full hopper and then on a locked hopper. Mspt stayed stable so I am not worried about this being a major source of lag. If someone else can recreate what has been described I'll look into it again
SengornLeopard
[rawr]

Re: Possible Heavy Lag Source

Post by SengornLeopard »

I have noticed that things which do not cause lag in build world, do cause lag in the main world. The experiment is not likely to be enough to discount this as a source of lag. On build world I made an autosmelter, zero lag was created. When I built it in the survival world, it caused significant lag and I was compelled to tear it down; the lag was then fixed.

This cause of lag should probably be looked at again.