Explaining Litematica's easyplacemode

General simplicitypvp.net related topics
Burger
in iron armor

Explaining Litematica's easyplacemode

Post by Burger »

Listening to multiple busybodies who clearly don't know what Litematica's easyplacemode is acting like they do is cringe, so I'll quickly outline what it is and isn't. This is for the sake of educating people and admins.

I'll assume everyone knows what Litematica is: a mod which loads in a 'hologram' image of a saved schematic, allowing you to easily place all the blocks in the right places.

Essentially - easyplacemode is a setting which, if enabled, allows you to simply right-click a schematic block and the correct block will enter your hand, and then immediately be placed. Ordinarily, you would of course need to put the block in your hotbar, and then place it down. easyplacemode just cuts out the process of moving it from your inventory into the hotbar.

While the process of moving a single block from inventory to hotbar isn't long, easyplacemode makes the building process much quicker in a build where you would need to go through the process hundreds or thousands of times. You can just store all the blocks you'll need for the build in your inventory, and go along and right-click all the schematic blocks.
  • It does not automatically place down blocks, like a bot would.
  • It does not align or position blocks in the correct direction.
  • It does not take blocks out of shulker boxes.
  • It does not have any kind of benefit outside of building, such as PvP or finding bases.
  • It does, however, allow you to place blocks against air. Seeing as this is obviously impossible in vanilla, Yukar let me know last year that doing this isn't allowed.
Other than allowing the player to place blocks against air, easyplacemode doesn't do anything which a vanilla client can't do with a bit more time and effort. Disabling that particular unfortunate aspect has been done on other servers with anti-cheat plugins, but someone smarter than me would have to go figure that out.

As far as I'm aware, the rules haven't been changed - you're still not allowed to do anything that a vanilla client can't also achieve.
Yukar9
Admin

Re: Explaining Litematica's easyplacemode

Post by Yukar9 »

One could argue that even middle-clicking in litematica should not be allowed, as selecting blocks that fast is impossible without mods. Fundamentally it's no different from autototem and similar. The only difference is that it's unlikely (but not impossible) for it to be useful in pvp.

If any of this was used in pvp then it would be 100% ban. Maybe the rules should be different outside of pvp, but I'd still be hesitant to say it's an approved and safe mod.
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Post by KoriJenkins »

Yukar9 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:38 pm One could argue that even middle-clicking in litematica should not be allowed, as selecting blocks that fast is impossible without mods. Fundamentally it's no different from autototem and similar. The only difference is that it's unlikely (but not impossible) for it to be useful in pvp.

If any of this was used in pvp then it would be 100% ban. Maybe the rules should be different outside of pvp, but I'd still be hesitant to say it's an approved and safe mod.
Isn't middle-clicking built into the base game?

Easy place mode, as I've seen it, does the middle-clicking automatically, which is I think what you mean by "impossible without mods."
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

Litematica, even without easy place enabled, allows you to middle-click a ghost block.
Burger
in iron armor

Post by Burger »

I can't think of any way Litematica could be used in PVP. I also don't think selecting a block from your inventory without opening your inventory and moving your mouse is a significant advantage, aside from letting you build quicker.
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Post by KoriJenkins »

Yukar9 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:55 pm Litematica, even without easy place enabled, allows you to middle-click a ghost block.
Ahh I see what you mean, middle-clicking the projection of the block. Yeah that's technically a building advantage, albeit a very minor one.

I think the current situation is ideal and easiest, easy place isn't allowed but litematica is.
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

If we allow easy place mode, then people just have to right-click the block to place it. But it also requires people to avoid (unintentionally) placing blocks in the air.

If we don't allow easy place mode, then people just have to middle-click then right-click. And they can't accidentally place a block in the air.

If litematica had a "fair play" mode or similar where it couldn't place impossible blocks, then that would be nice.

Another question, does easy place mode allow you to place blocks you couldn't otherwise reach? I.e. does it allow you to place the block if you can reach the ghost block, but not the block you're placing it against?
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Post by KoriJenkins »

Yukar9 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:10 pm Another question, does easy place mode allow you to place blocks you couldn't otherwise reach? I.e. does it allow you to place the block if you can reach the ghost block, but not the block you're placing it against?
I have no idea what you mean by this. Do you mean placing blocks through other blocks?
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

No. Does easy place mode allow you to place blocks further away than if you weren't using easy place mode?
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Post by KoriJenkins »

Yukar9 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:51 pm No. Does easy place mode allow you to place blocks further away than if you weren't using easy place mode?
It sure seems like it. I tested it on single player and was able to place blocks past what the game showed as my max placement range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amt98nG6cS8