Change server name to "Simplicity Vanilla"

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started
SengornLeopard
[rawr]

Change server name to "Simplicity Vanilla"

Post by SengornLeopard »

The server has not been about pvp for a long time. I would argue this has been true for well over 3/4th of it's life. People play the server to form teams, and build bases. /world exists primarily to trade, and is a redundant feature in itself with player portals. Data has shown that servers with vanilla in the name receive more traffic. While we do have player portals, I argue we make them more expensive by requiring a diamond and a netherite block. We ditch the /world.

Simplicity Vanilla more accurately describes how the server environment is. A minimal rules server where players have a completely open world to build, fight, or grief.
Porkington2
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

Re: Change server name to "Simplicity Vanilla"

Post by Porkington2 »

We've had the same name for over 10 years, and it works well enough. It's an honest description of what players can expect on the server. (It's simple, though not necessarily 100% vanilla, and PvP is enabled.) The name also abbreviates well. It's also already used in the wiki, forum, discords, and many Youtube videos. So much of this would become obsolete with a name change, we'd have to redesign the logo and change the addresses, and all our old advertisements and videos and stuff would stop working. Old players might have trouble even finding the server again.

Servers called "vanilla" might get more traffic, but I think currently we're getting a good amount of players. Not too few, not too many. As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If I could go back in time to 10 years ago, sure, this idea would definitely be worth considering. But at the present time a name change just doesn't seem worth it.
DakkaDok
OP

Post by DakkaDok »

I agree with Pork. First of all, I don't think we're looking for more traffic.

I also still think the name is fairly accurate. Sure the server isn't about PvP, but it has PvP enabled on nearly the entire map, which isn't the norm on most servers. I would also argue that PvP encompasses things like griefing and raiding, which are a big part of server culture still.

As for making Portals more expensive, I strongly disagree. An argument could be made originally, but many older players have such extensive networks set up already that it would be an enormous disadvantage for all new players going forward.

Edit: lol I still have the OP tag on here, therefore you should listen to me.
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Post by KoriJenkins »

DakkaDok has OP tag but I don't, sad!

A name change in general is fine, but something that sounds better preferably. I wouldn't mind just dropping the PvP altogether and having the server be named "Simplicity"

Sim Van sounds awful lol
SengornLeopard
[rawr]

Post by SengornLeopard »

KoriJenkins wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:57 pm Sim Van sounds awful lol
Anything, as long as people can no longer call us SimPs!
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Post by KoriJenkins »

SengornLeopard wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:20 pm
KoriJenkins wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:57 pm Sim Van sounds awful lol
Anything, as long as people can no longer call us SimPs!
I'll still call you that