Increased Quartz Drop-Rate Modifications

Report bugs and request small uncontroversial plugin changes here
ostrich1414
Wiki Janitor

Increased Quartz Drop-Rate Modifications

Post by ostrich1414 »

Below is a suggestion from Laztec, regarding the potential implementation of an increased quartz drop-rate plugin, due to quartz currently being a difficult resource to effectively farm. I fully agree with and support this idea, and will provide Laztec's proposal below:

---

"Quartz is a very aesthetic and diverse building material, especially due to its numerous block variants. Unfortunately though, automatically farming it is far too time consuming for it to be feasible to use on a large scale. Thus, I am proposing a modification to the bartering drop-rates of quartz to make the automatic farming rate more on par with the manual farming rate of villager trading.

The Current System:

Piglins currently have a ~4.36% probability of bartering Quartz. This means an average of 22.94 Gold Ingots are required to obtain 1 Quartz barter.

If this barter is obtained, it will drop 5-12 Quartz, for an average of 8.5 Quartz. This means an average of 2.7 Gold Ingots are required to obtain just 1 Quartz.

Scaled up, this equates to 1 SB of Quartz Blocks (4 SB of Quartz) costing an average of 1.2 SB of Gold Blocks (10.8 SB of Gold Ingots).

An average Gold farm will generate this 1.2 SB of Gold Blocks in approximately 16.2 hours, meaning it will take approximately 16.2 hours, plus the time required to barter, to obtain just 1 SB of Quartz Blocks.

For comparison, an average Obsidian farm will generate 1 SB of Obsidian every 25 minutes.

The Proposed System:

I propose modifying the bartering drop-rate of Quartz to a fixed value of 64 Quartz per barter, while retaining the ~4.36% bartering probability.

This equates to a 7.5x decrease in both the time and cost required for obtaining Quartz.

With these changes, obtaining 1 SB of Quartz Blocks would require an average of 2.16 hours of Gold farming and 0.16 SB of Gold Blocks (1.44 SB of Gold Ingots).

Conclusion:

This is still a substantial amount of time, even when compared to the farming rates of Obsidian and Emerald Blocks, however it would at least make Quartz a somewhat viable building material for large-scale projects, which it currently is not. Quartz is also an almost exclusively cosmetic block, so there won't be any gameplay advantages gained by increasing its accessibility.

Making it a more viable building material could allow for a renaissance of large and intricate builds, especially considering the block's aesthetic appearance and stair/slab variants.

The only foreseeable hinderance from this modification is that some players will need to expand the number of hoppers in their existing Quartz bartering storages to facilitate the increased drop-rate, however it will still only require a very small number of hoppers and induce no additional lag."
s0oup
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

Re: Increased Quartz Drop-Rate Modifications

Post by s0oup »

as someone who also really really likes using quartz in builds i think this would be awesome
MutualistManiac
[rawr]

Post by MutualistManiac »

I would be fine with this.
TuataraBoots

Post by TuataraBoots »

I support this. Laztec’s request sounds fair and well-reasoned. Quartz looks very nice in builds. Making it more available won’t benefit griefers. No one player group will gain an unfair advantage if quartz rates through piglin bartering are tweaked server-wide. It’s still going to be a grind, but will free up more time for active play instead of sitting AFK.
Lord1
[rawr]

Post by Lord1 »

Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz Quartz
CarbonQueen

Post by CarbonQueen »

I agree with this post and the contents of it. Quartz is a bitch to get a lot of.

made with love,

- Carbon <3
Tango

Post by Tango »

I TaintedTango do formally and irreducibly support the suggested modification to the piglin drop-rates on the basis of it's overwhelming benefit to the servers experience. The economic impact is non-existent with the only competing source being from villager trades and manual mining of which there is no party with any vested interest in the farming of either. Furthermore, I think the cultural significance of such a change can not be understated, Like the marble mines that built Rome, This will provide us with the material to produce grand works of architectural grandeur which will bring to us a new Golden dawn adorned with crystalline quartz.

Do the right thing. Vote yes on Proposition Piglin.
Nebuelaz

Post by Nebuelaz »

Hello,

I have built a base out of Quartz before. And let me tell you. Skyreach was a horror show to build. I did use villagers for Quartz and a Bartering Farm together. And I LOVE the block, but by God I will never build out of it again in it's current state. Increasing the amount dropped seems like a good idea to me as I personally would not bother myself with the material again otherwise. Which is a crying shame as it is beautiful. Anyway, in case it was unclear, making Quartz more abundant from Bartering farms for me feels fair, especially as the gold is already pretty expensive and getting very low amounts of Quartz for my hours of gold farming, is mildly depressing to farm.

Just my 2 cents, regards,

Nebuelaz
ostrich1414
Wiki Janitor

Post by ostrich1414 »

So.

We still doin this? @Yukarion
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Post by KoriJenkins »

Weird feelings on this. Doesn't this basically mean quartz is more valuable as a resource since it takes more time to generate? Should some things not have more inherent value than others?

Like, we don't look at DBs as a building material as "too rare and time consuming to get" because we believe them to have value on the server due to that rarity, why is quartz effectively not the same?

This feels like a slippery slope where we suddenly start deciding "x takes too long, y takes too long." Should we make withers drop 3 stars instead of 1 because beacon farming is time consuming? Or should we increase villager trade caps because 12 is silly low and lags the server by forcing us to get hundreds?

Piglin bartering didn't even exist before 1.16.4 and quartz builds were still made then. I guess I don't feel like there's a genuine need for this, but a want instead. If players feel like quartz is rare, why not buy it from someone else? I doubt everyone on Sim is simultaneously building out of quartz, there are undoubtedly sellers of excess materials.