Portals: A replacement for the pvp world

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started
Yukar9
Admin

Portals: A replacement for the pvp world

Post by Yukar9 »

So, we've had the pvp world for a long time now. The pvp world was introduced to solve the problem of people who lived far away never getting a chance to interact with other people. It does this by allowing anyone free teleports to a second world, while their actual base and coordinates remain 100% safe. It sort of works as a solution to allow players to fight, but with 100% safe bases, it takes away a significant part of the chaos server experience. As an alternative to the pvp world, I would like to propose Portals.

I propose we create a system of portals. Not like the Stargate plugins that let players just teleport to any other Stargate in the entire server, but two-way portals that are connected to one other portal, and nothing else. Players can (at a cost, probably around 1 diamond block) create a pair of portals. The player would have to in some other way visit the location of both portals to create them, so there'd be no easy teleportation to 5m out, at least not without first walking out there. The portals would then be usable and destroyable by anybody who finds them.

So for example if you have a base at 100k, you would walk to spawn to create a pair of portals linking somewhere near spawn and your base. Your base members would then be able to freely and instantly teleport between your base and the other portal, but if somebody finds the portal near spawn, or follows one of your teammates to it, they'll be able to use it and will then find themselves at your base.

In this way people are still able to build large aboveground buildings far from spawn, and still able to interact with other people with traveling for hours, but doing so poses a risk.

With regards to xray, it would be possible to add antixray to portal blocks (depending on how the portals are implemented) to make it impossible to xray for portals as long as the portal is hidden underground in stone.
RevStoningpot
Moron
Location: first star to the right and straight on till morning

Re: Portals: A replacement for the pvp world

Post by RevStoningpot »

sounds good but i wouldn't use it. at least not at home maybe it would be okay if it linked to some where around 2k of my base though. I'd be interested in a trial run of this idea. can a team mate or alt set up one of the ends?
bloodlucky
still building aboveground

Post by bloodlucky »

I feel like this would be too big of a gamechanger. I like it the way it is
DakkaDok
OP

Post by DakkaDok »

I think this could be interesting. Would you remove the /world completely though?
Also, do i need to set up the portals with the same account, or could i use alts?
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

/world wouldn't necessarily have to be removed, it probably wouldn't be to begin with under any circumstances, but I certainly envision it being removed.

Both ends of a portal pair would have to be setup by the same account, so that somebody has to travel the distance at least once the old fashioned way.
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

so it's like an ez mode version of the nether minus the danger

I don't get why people don't just use the nether
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

It's like a version of the pvp world that doesn't give your base 100% safety.

That means it's actually dangerous to meet other people rather than just perfect safety living 300k from spawn.
bloodlucky
still building aboveground

Post by bloodlucky »

Yukar9 wrote:/world wouldn't necessarily have to be removed, it probably wouldn't be to begin with under any circumstances, but I certainly envision it being removed.

Both ends of a portal pair would have to be setup by the same account, so that somebody has to travel the distance at least once the old fashioned way.
Then I'm fine with it. With most things I'll grow to it, I just need to adjust a bit first
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Post by A. Pippenger »

Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand it's tempting, and I see how it could be fun and probably increase server activity, but on the other hand it's a pretty big change, not vanilla at all, and sort of makes the server easier.

The server has been on a bit of an upswing during the last few months, I don't know if we should do something this drastic now. I'm gonna give a tentative no on this, but I might come around to it later. It's a lot to think about.
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

Yukar9 wrote:It's like a version of the pvp world that doesn't give your base 100% safety.

That means it's actually dangerous to meet other people rather than just perfect safety living 300k from spawn.
the nether's exactly what this idea is minus the instantaneous part

people have been able to make 8x faster than normal travel to and from a location with risk to their base for years