source of 1.8 lag - water physics

General minecraft related topics
SilasOfBorg
Donator

source of 1.8 lag - water physics

Post by SilasOfBorg »

So I fired up 1.8.1 again and sure enough Minecraft is still unplayable shit.

After some googling I found this:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mi ... eme-lag-in

Guy goes by LeslieGilliams, he was making some very damning posts in another community thread I was reading where many, many people had serious lag issues going from 1.7 to 1.8.

A good read, somewhat saddening since Mojang have not even acknowledged the bug yet. It seems optifine with some specific settings can work around the bug, which I'll be trying later on (and will follow up here if I'm able to achieve playability).

So if you are one of the unfortunates who saw your Minecraft experience go from "ok" to "unplayable" with 1.8, hopefully this thread helps you.
SilasOfBorg
Donator

Re: source of 1.8 lag - water physics

Post by SilasOfBorg »

Finished reading that entire thread. It seems they still haven't fixed the water lag, and 1.8 introduces even more performance problems; hundreds of thousands of new objects being created and deleted every second forcing Java garbage collections at an astonishing rate (up to 4x per second!) which don't usually run quickly enough to allow for smooth framerates, adding even more to the lag/stutter problems.

Apparently a lot of this is due to the 1.8 rewrite, which presumably met a lot of business goals but not the "don't make the game run even worse than it does now" goal.

All Optifine allows you to do is turn off water particles, but that's not the issue -- they changed water physics in order to support water temples and just broke the fuck out of the rendering engine. On worlds with no water Minecraft 1.8 runs about as well as 1.7. Add water and 1.8 goes to shit.

Most of you are still playing, which means I need to break into someone's house and steal your computer. Don't worry, I'll leave mine behind. You can still play Tetris or maybe Pong.

Any volunteers? :)
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

hold on

how exactly did they update water "physics"
is this just the visual representation of water flowing and they happened to do a terrible job at it per usual because of water temples
SilasOfBorg
Donator

Post by SilasOfBorg »

I'm not sure exactly. From some things I've read it seems they made water interact more "correctly" with light so that, eg underwater beacons / temples would look right. Whatever they did, it broke stuff for a lot of people.

https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-71304

https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-45458

https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-71078

The only thing absolutely clear is that snapshot 14w29b was fine, and then 14w30 crapped a steaming pile of crap and hasn't been fixed yet.
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

do these gay niggers from outer space that develop this game even test their shit

how do you not notice that your update to the game is breaking fucking everything or at least using way more memory and cpu than it should
SilasOfBorg
Donator

Post by SilasOfBorg »

Real QA is expensive. From a business standpoint, it is more profitable to push out half baked crap and let the userbase test it. If they lose a few customers, it costs them nothing because Minecraft is a one-time purchase; there's no service/support stream to lose if customers abandon the product.

Sigh.
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

SilasOfBorg wrote:Real QA is expensive. From a business standpoint, it is more profitable to push out half baked crap and let the userbase test it. If they lose a few customers, it costs them nothing because Minecraft is a one-time purchase; there's no service/support stream to lose if customers abandon the product.

Sigh.
even early access games that were good have gone to shit what the fuck