map limit

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started

Add a 5k world boundary?

Poll ended at Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:01 pm

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes: 52

peanutmartin
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

Re: map limit

Post by peanutmartin »

Yeah well personally the 5k limit wont make me interact with others as i dont play on this server for the pvp aspect, only the fact that there is no rules that stop you from having fun like on build servers- which i think is he beauty of this server. If anything, any boundary will stop me from playing on this server which is a shame as i have been on this server for about 6 months.
RevStoningpot
Moron
Location: first star to the right and straight on till morning

Post by RevStoningpot »

Yes we would, most features don't need new map generation at all, and those that you can simply use plugins to generate them. The only time when a map reset was needed to get these new features was when the entire map generator was remade.

Adding plugins is just another suggestion to ruin the vanilla

That is of course true, I even noted it myself a couple pages back, where I also said that the people who did that would be few, as most people will go to spawn if they're nearby anyway, even people who would otherwise never go to spawn. Again, people avoid going to spawn because it's too far, not because there's nothing there to go for. Right now it has nothing to offer, but that's exactly what this suggestion is suppose to change.

This is just another one of your poor assumptions. Why would someone hiding 5k away go to spawn. You have presented no good reson for traveling to the blown to shit resourceless load in point for new players that have nothing. How would a map limit put more resorces at spawn?

So you're saying that nothing on this server should ever change, and that it should just stay exactly the way it is because people who dislike it can just go find another server? How about we just stop accepting new players then? That way it would stay exactly the way it is, with only the people we already know on it.

Yes nothing should change that's the point of vanilla if notch want's to change it that's just fine I want to play the game notch made not some bastardized version full of hacks or pugins or what have you. And i never said anything close to not wanting new players you did however.

In your mind any rule is nazi thinking?

Taking away freedom of the people just so you can change things for your own selfish gain is the root of all dictatorships.

This is compromise-thought, the common notion that nothing can be reached but by compromise is very stupid, both sides don't have to lose for an agreement to be made.

Again more nazi thinking. No compromise it's your way or nothing.

in fact I'll go donate a couple hundred euros for yukar9 to use on advertising right now. While getting more people would definitely help a lot (relatively), it wouldn't solve the problem entirely, as most people would still just be hiding from far spawn and never actually fighting.

I see no donation don't just lie to get people to like you. This server caps out at 50 a limit that was increased because the 25 limit was starting to be too low. You buy some top page ad space on mcserverlist and we'll be capped out most of the day i'm sure. 50 people will be just as hard to find in 5K as in any map So again i must ask why do you think a map limit will make people fight more.

Even if I'm wrong the activity can't drop much lower, so there's not much to lose.

more selfishness. Every one outside of 5K has plenty to lose

Right to travel to a fictional world entirely identical (but more remote) than an identical world you're allowed to travel to. Real freedom you get there.

I'm sorry i just don't even understand this sentence

Sorry, I just presumed you were capable of understanding sarcasm, seeing as you are not I'll stop using it entirely.

sarcasm is based intierly on a persons tone of voice it doesn't realy work when you type it

It isn't vanilla now, people who come for true vanilla already leave quickly.

The only thing people bitch about as unvanilla is hack protection. Which even though it's a mod it keeps players from being nonvanilla so in fact help keep the server more vanilla.

I stand by my belief that a pvp server shouldn't be accomodating of noobs, so if people incapable of gathering food/wood decide to leave, I'll have no problem with that.

So for all your posturing that we need more players you are against having new players join. Just more evidance of you wanting the server to die

That this server's pvp is dead, and that a world boundary world solve that issue.

you still havn't said why it would not once you just keep saying it will. advertisment will and of that we have proof because it's been done before. Hve you ever seen a server gain more players by cutting off half it's following with a map limit?

I'll bitch at you for playing singleplayer all I want, even if you don't bitch at me for building where I do (which you by the way have).

no i havn't. not once have i said i don't want people builing near spawn or that i want your part of the map cut off.
Xestia
OP

Post by Xestia »

Adding plugins is just another suggestion to ruin the vanilla
Then why don't you write a suggestion to remove all plugins from the server?
This is just another one of your poor assumptions. Why would someone hiding 5k away go to spawn. You have presented no good reson for traveling to the blown to shit resourceless load in point for new players that have nothing. How would a map limit put more resorces at spawn?
Yes I have: People
Yes nothing should change that's the point of vanilla if notch want's to change it that's just fine I want to play the game notch made not some bastardized version full of hacks or pugins or what have you. And i never said anything close to not wanting new players you did however.
A server where nothing happens is boring, notch won't make this server more active. We already have at least 10 different plugins, yet I don't see you complaining about those, so obviously you can't hate plugins that much, and if you really do prove it by making a suggestion to remove all plugins. I never said that you'd said you didn't want new players, I was using it as a parallel to having a never-changing server.
Taking away freedom of the people just so you can change things for your own selfish gain is the root of all dictatorships.
My own selfish gain? How is this for my own gain? What do I gain from this?
Again more nazi thinking. No compromise it's your way or nothing.
Did you even read what I wrote?
I see no donation don't just lie to get people to like you.
Thanks a lot for accusing me of being dishonest, I have donated €400 if it hasn't been updated then it's because it probably has to be updated manually (which takes time).
This server caps out at 50 a limit that was increased because the 25 limit was starting to be too low.
It was starting to become too low? Other than the one night we had 23 people online, this server's been averaging less than 10 people, how is that anywhere near the 25 cap? Either way I can quote yukar9 to show that the cap wasn't increased because it was too low, it was only temporarily decreased for some unspecified reason.
I'm going to be doing some stuff to the server within the next week or so, and while I'm doing that I'm going to decrease the amount of server slots to 25 instead (we rarely go beyond 25 anyway). Hope there isn't any trouble getting in, and I'm increasing to 50 again in a week or so.
You buy some top page ad space on mcserverlist and we'll be capped out most of the day i'm sure
Let me respond by quoting myself:
When the server was capping 50 people there were lots of people, but still not that much pvp.
more selfishness. Every one outside of 5K has plenty to lose
World boundaries delete the map outside 5k of spawn? Well that's news to me. Whether your buildings will simply be stored there, or moved to spawn you will not lose them, if they're moved you might lose them to a raider, but isn't that why you play here in the first place? For the 'challenge'. If they aren't moved and the server stays dead anyway, the boundary can be lifted and you can return happily to playing singleplayer.
I'm sorry i just don't even understand this sentence
I'm stating that the world within 5k blocks of spawn is identical to the one outside 5k blocks of spawn, just that it's less desolate.
sarcasm is based intierly on a persons tone of voice it doesn't realy work when you type it
Honestly I've never met somebody entirely incapable of detecting sarcasm online, it isn't based entirely on tone of voice, but choice of words. If I say 'Really?!? You can sprint by touble-tapping W?!?!' that's obviously sarcasm.
The only thing people bitch about as unvanilla is hack protection. Which even though it's a mod it keeps players from being nonvanilla so in fact help keep the server more vanilla.
Exactly, so people do leave for it being unvanilla. I'm particularly interested in Which even though it's a mod it keeps players from being nonvanilla so in fact help keep the server more vanilla. which is exactly what I've been saying about the world boundary.
So for all your posturing that we need more players you are against having new players join. Just more evidance of you wanting the server to die
Oh please, you flame people asking stupid questions too, you don't want noobs joining anymore than I do. More evidence I want the server to die? What other evidence? and how is this even evidence? Why would I even want the server to die? I've put a lot of hours into this server, it dying would just make me lose all the time I've spent here.
you still havn't said why it would not once you just keep saying it will. advertisment will and of that we have proof because it's been done before. Hve you ever seen a server gain more players by cutting off half it's following with a map limit?
I've never seen a server have problems with introducing a map limit, I have however seen servers prosper after introducing a map limit (oblivion hardcore deathban).
no i havn't. not once have i said i don't want people builing near spawn or that i want your part of the map cut off.
You spawn rats
just leave the server not start over in you're tiny shit hole
probably more, if somebody wants to go through every post you've made
pianiseemo
OP

Post by pianiseemo »

Can I emphasize that the map limit will be increased/removed if we can get activity up? Several people have talked about the need for updates etc.
Xestia
OP

Post by Xestia »

Of course, I don't think anybody would support a permanent map limit, but that it's open to change when necessary.
RevStoningpot
Moron
Location: first star to the right and straight on till morning

Post by RevStoningpot »

Okay i'm done with all this quoting shit. I'll try to address every point you have there. I have brought up suggestions for removing server mods when i realize they are there. What, other than anti hacks, are there. I have no idea. The anti hacks are good as hacking players ruin the vanilla quality for other players but non hacking players wouldn't even know they're there. I don't see how you could claim that a limit would keep the server more vanilla. As for going to spawn to meet people. You can meet people where ever you want. Just decide on some coords /tell them to eachother. And you keep putting me down for playing by myself but i have had two bases that i shared with a team since the update and i have been griefed both times once from with in once from an outsider. So i have only recently been playing solo but i fully intened to re-team up once this server is settled and i know if i'll be continuing playing here.
All nazi-ism aside your desire for a limit is selfish. You being with in the proposed limit will stand to loose nothing while every one outside will lose everything. and I'm not just talking about my currant building i mean my ruins as well. Being that i worked hard on it, even though it's blown up, i still like knowing that someday someone might stumble accross it and say "hey it looks like a pretty awsome thing was once here". In fact i enjoy finding blown up bases as much as fresh lootable ones. If people don't want to play with you just let them be a map limit won't make people fight more.
I must say you got me on the noobs thing i do lie all the time when they ask is it vanilla or can i grief. It's kinda my way of keping up with the chaos. Why would someone go to an anarchy server and expect people to be honest. I find it funny when they call you out on it like "it said anarchy pvp" or "it said griefing was allowed"
But despite my harrasment of spawn rats i've never disaproved of people playing that way. I find this game as a good place to release my inner asshole (pun intended). There are not many people on this server i play nice with.
You claim that a map limit will get more people going to spawn. This is according to the thought that the only thing keeping them from going there is that it's too far away. But i'm sure if they were the type of people that see spawn as a good place to go they wouldn't have moved so far in the first place. So i'm sure if they were to even continue playing in a limited map they would remain far out and hidden. As i said before even in 5K it would be hard to find 1 of 50 people if they know how to hide and stay safe. And you keep saying things can be saved but i certainly won't belive that from you. It would be nice if you could get an official statment from yukar that he's willing to move stuff and how much stuff if he will. Other wise it would have to be assumed that everything outside 5K is gone for good.
TLRedemption
Noob

Post by TLRedemption »

peanutmartin wrote:Image

This took me ages to do and i dont want to loose it... Just saying
That's beautiful, nice job.
Theino
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

Post by Theino »

Infiniteness is the main reason I came to this server. I would be very unhappy to see that change.
SolFuji
in iron armor

Post by SolFuji »

pianiseemo wrote: This is a great argument. However, several points:
1. Ideally, the hermits are hermits and the PvPers do PvP. However, in reality, if there is no map limit, there is no reason for PvPers not to build their base 20k out as well. You have to be silly to build your base close to spawn. Nobody wants to get raided themselves, but everyone wants to raid and kill others. This is kind of like Nash's equilibrium.
2. New people do not want to join this server. I have seen several new players quit because they see no action.
3. The +/- 5k map limit does mean limited resources. However, there are a TON OF DIAMONDS and OTHER ORES in a 100 million block surface area, which is what a +/- 5k map limit is. You will not notice the limited resources at all... With the exception of trees, which are relatively easy to find.
4. Speaking of missing new features with updates, I'm sure we could find a way to get around this.
You think people are quitting because the lack of action? What are they, what are you expecting? This is minecraft. It takes time to get ready for a fight. And you loose your armor and weapons if you get killed. If your base is destroyed, you additionally lose your foodbase, everything. It takes effort and time to prepare for PvP as you want it. Do you really expect people running around with swords and armor fighting each other all the time? This will not happen, with and without a map limit.
As PvPer there is a very good reason not to build your base 20k from spawn: You will not be able to do PvP there. Someone who builds there - and doesn't only use it as a backup base - does not really want to raid or kill others. And I don't think these are those ones who are complaining about a lack of PvP.
Maybe there will be no problems with ressources. But ressources include space and special things you only get at special placs. Maybe something can be done against it, maybe some limitations aren't real limitations, maybe limited ressources can be a new type of thrill. But generally speaking it will not be vanilla anymore. You and I may like or dislike it, but it will be another kind of server here.

@TLRedemption: Nice work, but this is not helping...
PS: I will grief and kill you! ;-p
TLRedemption
Noob

Post by TLRedemption »

SolFuji wrote:
pianiseemo wrote: This is a great argument. However, several points:
1. Ideally, the hermits are hermits and the PvPers do PvP. However, in reality, if there is no map limit, there is no reason for PvPers not to build their base 20k out as well. You have to be silly to build your base close to spawn. Nobody wants to get raided themselves, but everyone wants to raid and kill others. This is kind of like Nash's equilibrium.
2. New people do not want to join this server. I have seen several new players quit because they see no action.
3. The +/- 5k map limit does mean limited resources. However, there are a TON OF DIAMONDS and OTHER ORES in a 100 million block surface area, which is what a +/- 5k map limit is. You will not notice the limited resources at all... With the exception of trees, which are relatively easy to find.
4. Speaking of missing new features with updates, I'm sure we could find a way to get around this.
You think people are quitting because the lack of action? What are they, what are you expecting? This is minecraft. It takes time to get ready for a fight. And you loose your armor and weapons if you get killed. If your base is destroyed, you additionally lose your foodbase, everything. It takes effort and time to prepare for PvP as you want it. Do you really expect people running around with swords and armor fighting each other all the time? This will not happen, with and without a map limit.
As PvPer there is a very good reason not to build your base 20k from spawn: You will not be able to do PvP there. Someone who builds there - and doesn't only use it as a backup base - does not really want to raid or kill others. And I don't think these are those ones who are complaining about a lack of PvP.
Maybe there will be no problems with ressources. But ressources include space and special things you only get at special placs. Maybe something can be done against it, maybe some limitations aren't real limitations, maybe limited ressources can be a new type of thrill. But generally speaking it will not be vanilla anymore. You and I may like or dislike it, but it will be another kind of server here.

@TLRedemption: Nice work, but this is not helping...
PS: I will grief and kill you! ;-p
I'm sure you will.