Moron

Re: Pippenger Empire Thread

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

>I was trying to be a country in an anarchic server
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Post by A. Pippenger »

Yeah, I thought I could have a big serious organized team where everyone had roles to do and stuff. Not quite literally a country, but a much larger than average team with a complex structure. I thought it could be sort of like the guilds or companies they have in EVE Online who are always having wars and stuff. People here seem pretty intent on doing their own thing though, so relying on anyone to give you structured help is a bad idea. It was a lot of fun, but at some point you have to stop neglecting your real life for shit that won't even work.
morl0ck
pinko commie bastard

Post by morl0ck »

Pip, you and I see our teams a little differently. Not everybody likes "grunt work". LegendaryArtz likes to build secret rooms, devices of redstone, farms, etc. el_andres is kind of like the jack of all trades, redstone sometimes, style building other times, etc. I'm the one that likes monotonous piling on of stone and giant projects that require tons of concentration, but only if it feels "mine". I don't pressure them to do anything they don't feel like.

When you talk about "not getting enough work out of people", they just feel like servants. Sure, I would like it if my team helped with the monotonous task of expanding the curtain wall/ building towers/ whatever, but they are free agents. They play the game for different reasons. If they aren't having fun at my base, then they'll just leave.
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Post by A. Pippenger »

Morl0ck, I understand what you mean, and that's why I decided to give this up. I want to get real work done. If people aren't going to help me, I feel like I'm better off not chasing after new recruits and instead just doing my own thing. I'm not talking about slave labor, I'm talking about building more than one small house over several months. I used to try to get people to build their own neighborhoods and areas in their own style, just to get it approved by me first, but apparently even that is too much. Essentially, I've realized that I can either have a big team that everyone has fun on, OR I can live at a base that looks remotely like the way I envisioned it. Since I've wanted to do this city for a long time, I've decided to just do things my own way and build it 99% by myself instead of 90%.

I have slowly built up a fairly small circle of people who are fun to be around and occasionally help build stuff, and I'm not kicking them out or anything. I've just officially given up on recruiting new ones or actively trying to get anyone to work and I wanted to announce that.

I'm on another, much looser team on my other account where I'm not in charge of anyone else. Everyone just builds their own stuff, and it's a lot more fun. I like social interaction and larger teams, I have just found that I can't combine that with my serious builds.

EDIT: Looks like the city got griefed anyway, I'm gonna leave. I assume anyone still there will leave too. Seems to be an inside job probably. It's pretty clear now that big teams, teams with strict building styles, and teams where people are actually expected to help just don't work. I'm gonna go live as a hermit on my own and build cool shit on my alt, and leave my main near spawn to interact with people. To the three people who actually helped me with the city, thanks and I'm sorry your work is wasted. To everyone else, you should know that you are free of the horrible burden of voluntarily coming to my city and then occasionally being asked to actually help me.

This team was a huge mistake. I'm looking forward to actually enjoying the server again.
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Post by A. Pippenger »

So iQuint was over by the city today and took some pics of the ruins. Thought people might be interested in seeing.

I've been working on a new city with a much smaller team and it's going great, should have pics in a few weeks. For now though, here is what's left of the Imperial Capital, New Caladan.

http://imgur.com/TxbLk3d,0dIQUKn,g1auvux#0
morl0ck
pinko commie bastard

Post by morl0ck »

It's not that bad of a grief. Kind of lazy, actually. Fixing it would be a fraction of the work it took to rebuild spawn. It doesn't even look like they used any tnt.
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Post by A. Pippenger »

True, but I kind of like it ruined. I kind of regret the whole empire thing and we made a lot of mistakes with this city, I feel like it's more fitting to leave it ruins to symbolize the death of the team.