Build vs Build Tactics and Playstyles

General simplicitypvp.net related topics
FoSchnizzle
Moron

Build vs Build Tactics and Playstyles

Post by FoSchnizzle »

I'm interested to hear what kind of stuff you guys like to do whenever there's a BvB hosted. For those unaware, BvB is a new event, where you're separated into two teams, and given an area and creative for a few minutes. The opposing team's area is separated by a large wall, and when your creative is removed, so is the wall. It's then a deathmatch using whatever tactics you choose. Unbreakable blocks and golden apples are banned, however.

Everyone typically goes with the god armor (Protection IV, Unbreaking III, Thorns III, Feather Falling IV), god sword (Sharpness V, Fire Aspect II, Knockback II depending on preference), and god bow (Power V, Flame I, Punch II, Infinity I). Then there's the potions that everyone always downs just before the start of the match. Strength, regeneration, fire resistance, and speed are typically good ideas. Some people like to carry a few splash poisons and harms in their hotbar, as well. Food is sometimes left out in the rush, but it's always a good idea. Ender pearls also help to carry in case someone's on a platform, or there's an obstacle to overcome.

Then it comes down to what you want to build. Some people have preferred defenses or offenses, most of which include lava and obsidian.

Feel free to post your favourite strategies, or even ones you'd like to try.
morl0ck
pinko commie bastard

Re: Build vs Build Tactics and Playstyles

Post by morl0ck »

I liked it, but 5 minutes wasn't enough prep time. The time-consuming task of enchanting all the gear, getting potions, etc was really a game of "who can remember to grab everything essential for a fight and navigate the shitty creative interface the fastest". I managed to build a small defensive structure, but it was insufficient.

It would have been more fun if the enchanted max gear was given automatically: prot IV diamond, sharp V sword, essential potions, etc. Anything else the player wanted, they can spend the time to do it themselves. Along with an extended prep time of 10 minutes, the fights would be longer and people could build up a better defense.
FoSchnizzle
Moron

Post by FoSchnizzle »

Deflow decided to increase the prep time for smaller fights. 2v2s now have 7 minutes, while 1v1s (on the rare occasion) have various amounts of time. Anything above a 3v3 has 5 minutes though, because it's easier to build structures with a team. Personally, I think that 10 minutes would be a good time for any battle, and if each team takes less than that, they can agree to start early.
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

Set up dispenser trap full of arrows
win
FoSchnizzle
Moron

Post by FoSchnizzle »

How would you go about luring people into that trap?
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

simple
human bait
floor falls away
hell unleashed
FoSchnizzle
Moron

Post by FoSchnizzle »

And what's to stop them from enderpearling out?
morl0ck
pinko commie bastard

Post by morl0ck »

I built a crushing-room trap one time in creative that was impossible to escape. The ceiling would smash down repeatedly in such short increments that it would be impossible to take any action or break a block. You'd have no choice but to stand there as your health whittled away. If a player could be lured into it, that'd be a definite win. Neither potions nor enderpearls could save you (unless you managed to spam the pearl and glitch out of the room).

If they had full prot IV it might take quite a long time to kill them, probably until their armor broke and it started to do actual damage.
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

FoSchnizzle wrote:And what's to stop them from enderpearling out?
smooth walls you dingus jesus christ do I have to draw you a floor plan
we're talking a decently small area, or multiple
the doors close and form a smooth chamber
they can't mine their way out because of constant damage
ez