Maybe fixing this lag will attract more players?

General simplicitypvp.net related topics
Fluz43
in iron armor

Maybe fixing this lag will attract more players?

Post by Fluz43 »

I don't think a server that lags so bad that all the players disconnect will attract many people.
FoSchnizzle
Moron

Re: Maybe fixing this lag will attract more players?

Post by FoSchnizzle »

This.
Elocphant
still building aboveground

Post by Elocphant »

Only the 100th thread about this SAME topic. Everyone please just stop making this thread! Its been done and done.
FoSchnizzle
Moron

Post by FoSchnizzle »

Then why hasn't it been fixed?
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Post by A. Pippenger »

FoSchnizzle wrote:Then why hasn't it been fixed?
Probably either because of some very complicated technical problem or a lack of funds, neither of which I know how to fix. If someone on here is a technical genius and/or millionaire, maybe they can help.

If there is some simple thing we could do to fix lag I'd be all for it, and I think everyone else would be though. It's probably more complicated than that is all.
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

Because minecraft's code is fucking complete and utter ass.
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Post by A. Pippenger »

It does seem that this server lags at an above average rate. Are we using really cheap hosting or something? Maybe donating more would help, I dunno. I am curious to know the reason, even if fixing it is out of reach.
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

It's sort of both. Minecraft has memory leaks, this means it continually uses up more and more memory until it is restarted. We used to be on a really powerful server, so with a daily restart, we never had any shortage of memory. But we only ever really used about 10-20% of that server's total power. That's a waste of money, and so we downgraded earlier this year. This had led to a few more problems then I'd have hoped, but it hasn't made the game completely unplayable, so I'm not exactly willing to go back to spending 50 euros a month on the other server if it's not totally necessary. It could also be that more frequent restarts would help, I might try having it autorestart every once in a while to see what that does to help.

Other than that, yes, a more powerful server would be good. One time donations don't really do much good, that's just a pain to manage, having to constantly fight to reach a goal every month, what we'd need are monthly recurring donations.
SilasOfBorg
Donator

Post by SilasOfBorg »

LoneSoldier55 wrote:Because minecraft's code is fucking complete and utter ass.
So much this.

Best quote I've ever seen regarding Notch's coding skills (from a guy calling himself "Sir_Cmpwn" on a hacker board discussing MC code, link long since bad):

"I've also spent time examining Notch's coding habits.

He is a terrible, terrible coder. Minecraft was (and still is) an unoptimized, poorly designed piece of crap when he handed it off to the rest of Mojang. The DCPU-16 he designed had many flaws and his assembler for it threw out assembly convention. He makes very basic mistakes very frequently and his core designs are flawed.

I say this as someone who has spent a considerable amount of my life figuring out this terrible crap and working around it. Notch is a very bad programmer, and people only revere him because he made Minecraft.

To reply to you all at once: regardless of his ability to create or ship a game, which is not in question, his ability to write good code should not be idolized. His failures have tangible reprecussions that have long plagued the Minecraft hacking community and Mojang itself."
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Post by A. Pippenger »

So how much total donated money per month would be necessary to upgrade the server?