Allow players to restart the server

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started
Litargirio
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

Allow players to restart the server

Post by Litargirio »

Even with the automatic every-4-hours restarts the game still gets unplayable quite often due to lag.

So here's a suggestion: create a command that any player can run that will schedule a server restart in like 90 seconds.

To prevent this from getting abused, simply don't allow its execution unless at least 45 minutes have passed since the last time the server was restarted.
Yukar9
Admin

Re: Allow players to restart the server

Post by Yukar9 »

This would just get abused too much. 4 hours are way more frequent than any memory leak problems will affect the server too much, so if the server is lagging within 4 hours of a restart then it's not something that will be cured by a restart, then the lag is caused by something other than a memory leak.
Litargirio

Post by Litargirio »

It can't really get abused if you can only do it once every 45 (or 60) minutes and it takes 2 or 3 minutes for it to restart from the time the command has been run though. Or how could it?
Litargirio

Post by Litargirio »

The 4-hourly restarts to help, but it takes way less than 4 hours for the lag to build up...

If allowing players to restart isn't an option, reducing the rate to every 2 hours would also be very helpful because of the above.
Litargirio

Post by Litargirio »

pls, the server is unplayable like 90% of the time...
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

I guarantee you people would use this to annoy or create problems. Especially on the larger teams or people with alts could use this to cause restarts every 2-3 minutes.

I can see it's not being caused by simply the server being up, right now the server has 3 hours 25 minutes uptime and no lag. It's something people are doing that's somehow causing it to lag, and it's related to the nether and the end. If it always happens when you're on, maybe something you're doing is causing it. Perhaps something like generating new chunks. Or if you're riding a horse or boat. Of course it shouldn't happen and you should be free to do whatever you want, but spamming restarts is not the solution to it.
Litargirio

Post by Litargirio »

Don't think it's caused by me, since it happens on both of my alts, and they're both in different places.

The 45 minute cooldown between restarts I mentioned would be global, not per player. For example if player A restarts the server, player B won't be able to restart it until 45 minutes from now either. Also, once A runs the command, a message would say that "server will restart in 90 seconds", so they can't time it just right to cause a mayor annoyance.
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

Well if it's a global timer, that does change everything a bit.

Also we may have found the cause of it, I've discovered that having somebody in the nether causes the lag to go away (the 2 out of 2 times I've tried so far.) So if it's lagging, try logging your alt in and putting it in the nether.