Removal of /world for a two month experiment

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started
Fluz43
in iron armor

Removal of /world for a two month experiment

Post by Fluz43 »

Before anyone reading this might think this is a stupid post, please hear me out. I ask yall to consider this seriously. If anyone disagrees with this with real reasons, please post them, irregardless of how small or big a post it is as long as it presents a reasonable counterargument.

Two approaches to my view. Know I'm speaking off the top of my head so some of this might sound odd, but I'm willing to clarify or whatever:

1) Approach regarding why /world was created in the first place:
In the past, we had our massive server debate in regard to the world border we implemented that went up to 5k X and 5k Z from spawn in any direction. A suggestion, proposed after a series of previous failed ones had come and gone, arrived: an alternate world to complement the original one. It originally was similar to how the server at that time currently was, with a border and all. It was the best-seen situation voted upon by players in the server (at a reasonably close margin if I recall).

From this, I believe it's intention was our solution to best shrink the world while keeping it big at the same time, yet it eventually became used mostly for trading items between players/bases and for helping out noobs. One would want to trade in /world because it doesn't leave traces of evidence in the overworld of your coordinates/location, making it much more desirable than digging insanely long tunnels in the nether between bases and risking being followed back and raided. Noobs also benefit a lot more now in /world with how it's reset so often and looks fresh versus how in the past, spawn was a much more unwelcoming place for noobs and many still succeeded in getting out and surviving.

The idea of how much the use of /world has changed from its original purpose seems to have made it that nobody even uses /world as it was originally meant anymore. Nobody here uses /world for surviving and PVPing now, but for maybe mining without mobs to stop them and that's it. In the past, it was, as shown in Xestia's videos as she greifed Lysergidi's place. Despite this changed meaning has provided new opportunities for players to benefit off of, I think these new uses for /world are not in the best idea of the server of simply coming on, surviving, and interacting with new players. It raises people who have come to expect these accommodations in a similar way that people come to other servers for kits and rely on that later on. People still can easily survive without /world right now, and even if it wasn't, I personally wouldn't want weaker players to play this server since all they amount to is complaining about the lack of mobs and food then quit. If they don't quit, then we get low-tier players who aren't going to amount to much anyways, can't survive the challenges given by better players, get raided, and likely quit. Trading through /world is only done because it is the easy, more "comfortable/safe" way for trade since it's a lazy method nobody needs to fear about risking losing their base over it.

2) Approach regarding the creation of /portals:
/portals are created so that it gives everyone the option to travel either 10 blocks or 10 million blocks in the blink of an eye. While it isn't the most vanilla plugin either, it is simply an option that nobody needs to partake in, keeping the world a much much bigger place for those people. If one wants, basing their argument on the world should be smaller, they would enjoy the use of making many /portals for fast transport, shrinking the world for them. (/world, while having the same argument, would in my view be more un-vanilla because it takes players to a whole new place to do things, without a trace of overworld evidence to fear.) It also requires one party travels between the two portal locations without death, so the traveling must be done at least once to complete the portal.

Ever since I knew of the creation of these /portals, I thought that it would be an excellent idea to remove /world because it seemed to me that it was a much more desirable solution, giving a big world to those who wanted a big world and a small one to those who wanted a small world as well. A small world requires more risk and reward for those who want it, and a bigger world gives the isolation they are looking for, without the creation of a /world to split the two places completely. Look at how we came to be without /world or /portals in the first place. People traveled with tunnels, had risk, and greater rewards. The risk is what makes the game so fun and nobody seems to want to have this risk in turn of more fun, experiences, etc. since their isolation has made one want to make huge bases and such. They now can remain isolated, but also live in the same overworld dimension as those who desire to not be isolated. This leaves the isolated people still at an equal risk of being found if they choose to be self-sufficient while the ones using /portals have a much more enhanced risk as using these /portals lets them get around a lot more.
Fluz43
in iron armor

Re: Removal of /world for a two month experiment

Post by Fluz43 »

The two months part is to see whether or not my idea is right or not versus a permanent implementation , requiring more .... commitment, by the way.
DakkaDok
OP

Post by DakkaDok »

You say that /portals, while not vanilla either, are simply an option that nobody is forced to use.
The exact same can be said for /world.

However, i'm not really against trying this for maybe a month or two, just to see what happens.
Plattnerite
[rawr]

Post by Plattnerite »

I second this idea.

+1
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

this is a stupid thread
but the original idea to put a pet world in for people who can't find the medium between safety and convenience was stupid as fuck so this idea is actually rad

people building literally hundereds of kilometers away from everyone should have a downside to their massive relative safety
also tekkit server when
Fluz43
in iron armor

Post by Fluz43 »

Now with 1.11 in act and such, people are able to make /portals going from their base to spawn in not even 5 seconds... and then back from spawn to their bed point in however long it takes them to go from spawn to that /portal... if one brings an enderchest or simply an item to trade, then they can do that all at spawn, with even more protection than what is offered in /world to begin with... so what is the point of /world now? We can all PVP around spawn and such without risk of being found or followed at all anymore.
MisterStrawman
Donator

Post by MisterStrawman »

Didn't see this, but yes, I'm for trying it, maybe starting February 2017 after the current one expires.
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

Yep, since there's no opposition to it, I say we do this for the next 2-month period. (February 1st - April 1st.)
RevStoningpot
Moron
Location: first star to the right and straight on till morning

Post by RevStoningpot »

tl:dr if you're suggesting just a short time why not
Ultra
still building aboveground

Post by Ultra »

Fluz sucks.