Remove /world

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started
MoWobbler
in iron armor

Re: Remove /world

Post by MoWobbler »

I don't see how removing /world will fix anything or make the server more enjoyable. The only reason I see on this thread for removing /world is that it makes the game too easy for new players. Removing /world won't even make the server that much harder though, if at all. I would argue that removing /world makes the server easier and less fun because there will be less pvp.
MutualistManiac
[rawr]

Post by MutualistManiac »

I entirely agree with this but not for any reason related to "increasing pvp" but rather for the opposite: decreasing pvp. /world is utterly useless other than the fact that it is used to devalue exploration and various forms of player interactions. Scrap all the crap about turning end spawn into its own protected area for trade, trade SHOULD be hard, it SHOULD be a major risk that requires collaboration between two parties to meet in a secrete location on the map. Once you reach the top on sim getting what you want is SO easy. Just dm someone, go /world, and transfer all your valuable server lore over to them. Without /world players would be incentivized to create external trade networks, and to hoard valuable items and maps to themselves making exploration not only more interesting but also containing more of a pay-off.

People may complain about the lack of new /world maps, but why don't people complain about spawn being on the same map for years? that's boring. I say bring spawn build competitions back! I get that simpvp is not supposed to be vanilla, but what is it supposed to be then? How far would we be willing to take that line of reasoning? Should we add /sethome? Why not? I would say that it makes it too easy, but making things easy seems to be the argument used for /world nowadays. /world was never needed. It is a product of a now-gone community that no longer plays the server as they lost interest. For god's sake, they wanted the entire server to BE /world and reset every few months with a small world border! /world was a COMPROMISE between that and a vanilla server. WE NO LONGER NEED TO COMPROMISE. Those players are gone.
Burger
in iron armor

Post by Burger »

@Kori - I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm not making suggestions that will make escaping pirates harder or anything, I'm just making the point that switching from /world to end spawn won't make it much easier or much harder to escape pvp. That aspect won't change.

@Ton - No reason in particular, it's just something which I feel is long overdue and decided to post about.

@Mo - It won't "fix" anything, it'll just remove an unnecessary gamechanging plugin. I don't think there should be any big gamechanging plugins which we don't need. If Mojang added a portal block which functioned basically the same as /portals, it would be fair to remove the portals plugin. Well, they've added end gateways which function much the same as /world. I don't see how there'll be less pvp when pvp rarely happens in /world since you can just teleport back home as soon as someone joins, which you can't do in the end.
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Post by KoriJenkins »

Burger wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:59 pm @Kori - I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm not making suggestions that will make escaping pirates harder or anything, I'm just making the point that switching from /world to end spawn won't make it much easier or much harder to escape pvp. That aspect won't change.

@Ton - No reason in particular, it's just something which I feel is long overdue and decided to post about.

@Mo - It won't "fix" anything, it'll just remove an unnecessary gamechanging plugin. I don't think there should be any big gamechanging plugins which we don't need. If Mojang added a portal block which functioned basically the same as /portals, it would be fair to remove the portals plugin. Well, they've added end gateways which function much the same as /world. I don't see how there'll be less pvp when pvp rarely happens in /world since you can just teleport back home as soon as someone joins, which you can't do in the end.
If it won't fix anything, why bother? Who deems a plugin unnecessary and deserving of removal? The community? It doesn't seem unanimous at all for it to be removed.

While you argue that end gateways do the same thing, they really don't. At all. Just as a basic point /world has no mobs in it. It's often on a different difficulty to the rest of the server. To even get access to an end gateway you're probably going to need to invest at least 50 hours into the server, and while I'm as anti-new player as anyone, I don't see the similarities.

We're talking about an almost 9 year old staple of the server being removed because "I don't like it, it's not immersive."

If it was provable to me that /world being removed would improve stability, TPS, or result in a better alternative, I would agree. However, this entire discussion comes off as more of an "I personally don't like it, therefore I want it gone" rather than data-driven reasons. If it were possible to see if /world activity had declined considerably (something Yukar probably has access too) to the point of it being useless, I'd probably agree as well.
Burger
in iron armor

Post by Burger »

KoriJenkins wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:13 am If it won't fix anything, why bother? Who deems a plugin unnecessary and deserving of removal? The community? It doesn't seem unanimous at all for it to be removed.

While you argue that end gateways do the same thing, they really don't. At all. Just as a basic point /world has no mobs in it. It's often on a different difficulty to the rest of the server. To even get access to an end gateway you're probably going to need to invest at least 50 hours into the server, and while I'm as anti-new player as anyone, I don't see the similarities.

We're talking about an almost 9 year old staple of the server being removed because "I don't like it, it's not immersive."

If it was provable to me that /world being removed would improve stability, TPS, or result in a better alternative, I would agree. However, this entire discussion comes off as more of an "I personally don't like it, therefore I want it gone" rather than data-driven reasons. If it were possible to see if /world activity had declined considerably (something Yukar probably has access too) to the point of it being useless, I'd probably agree as well.
It's just self-evident that a plugin is necessary or not. /world has a vanilla replacement now, while things like /portals and AntiPVPLog do not.

I don't see many differences between /world and the end. The only mobs are neutral, as if that matters anyway. /world used to be on easy difficulty for whatever reason but that was recently fixed. It's smaller I guess?

New players can still trade in the overworld: it'll just be harder, which is a good thing. The nice convenient trading area is reserved for established players, just like the convenience and power of /portals and /phantoms.

I'm not suggesting /world be removed because I don't like it. I do like /world - it's convenient and makes trading easier, but it should be removed for the other reasons I've outlined.
MutualistManiac
[rawr]

KoriJenkins wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:13 am
LOL WHAT? /world is a 9-YEAR-OLD COMPROMISE between players who wanted the entire server to be /world and players who wanted vanilla. THIS NO LONGER NEEDS TO BE COMPROMISED. There is nothing that we inherently get from /world that cannot be done in the base game. Why, in 2021, do we need to compromise with effectively kitpvp players who haven't played on the server for years.
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Post by KoriJenkins »

MutualistManiac wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:28 am
KoriJenkins wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:13 am
LOL WHAT? /world is a 9-YEAR-OLD COMPROMISE between players who wanted the entire server to be /world and players who wanted vanilla. THIS NO LONGER NEEDS TO BE COMPROMISED. There is nothing that we inherently get from /world that cannot be done in the base game. Why, in 2021, do we need to compromise with effectively kitpvp players who haven't played on the server for years.
WHAT?

lol

We aren't compromising by keeping it, we'd be compromising by removing it. Literally no one cares about /world or views it as a problem until someone decides to start complaining about its existence.
Burger wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:27 am
KoriJenkins wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:13 am If it won't fix anything, why bother? Who deems a plugin unnecessary and deserving of removal? The community? It doesn't seem unanimous at all for it to be removed.

It's just self-evident that a plugin is necessary or not. /world has a vanilla replacement now, while things like /portals and AntiPVPLog do not.

I don't see many differences between /world and the end. The only mobs are neutral, as if that matters anyway. /world used to be on easy difficulty for whatever reason but that was recently fixed. It's smaller I guess?

New players can still trade in the overworld: it'll just be harder, which is a good thing. The nice convenient trading area is reserved for established players, just like the convenience and power of /portals and /phantoms.

I'm not suggesting /world be removed because I don't like it. I do like /world - it's convenient and makes trading easier, but it should be removed for the other reasons I've outlined.
It hasn't been replaced by vanilla. End Spawn isn't the only alternative, we have Overworld Spawn, which has always existed (obviously) and /world was still in the game.

You don't actually need gateways anyway. You could just as easily have a portal link near a portal link and get to overworld Spawn as quickly as End Spawn for trading.

Trading aside, I do think the values of /world as a meetup location for group activities can't be replaced by End Spawn.

PvP aspects could though. Add a /duel <player> plugin with a generic map for it. Ta-da.
Burger
in iron armor

Post by Burger »

KoriJenkins wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:47 am It hasn't been replaced by vanilla. End Spawn isn't the only alternative, we have Overworld Spawn, which has always existed (obviously) and /world was still in the game.

You don't actually need gateways anyway. You could just as easily have a portal link near a portal link and get to overworld Spawn as quickly as End Spawn for trading.
Overworld spawn is obviously not a viable alternative as there is no safe way to instantly travel from your base to overworld spawn and back again. This is basically why /world was added in the first place. Now that there's a vanilla feature which does the same thing, /world should be removed.
MutualistManiac
[rawr]

KoriJenkins wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:47 am
WHAT?

lol

We aren't compromising by keeping it, we'd be compromising by removing it. Literally no one cares about /world or views it as a problem until someone decides to start complaining about its existence.
It wasn't on the table for removal until now. I support it. There is no reason for the thing to continue to be around. It was created as a compromise between players who no longer represent the player base today.
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Post by KoriJenkins »

Burger wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:50 am
KoriJenkins wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:47 am It hasn't been replaced by vanilla. End Spawn isn't the only alternative, we have Overworld Spawn, which has always existed (obviously) and /world was still in the game.

Overworld spawn is obviously not a viable alternative as there is no safe way to instantly travel from your base to overworld spawn and back again. This is basically why /world was added in the first place. Now that there's a vanilla feature which does the same thing, /world should be removed.
You don't instantly travel to End Spawn you know, right? You gotta go through portals and a gateway.