Restoring Wilburia and Three Words

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Restoring Wilburia and Three Words

Post by KoriJenkins »

Alright, so I've had a discussion with Yukar after being pushed into it by clipchip.

While the Base Restoration Policy (BRP) is nearly complete, two bases fall distinctly outside of the policy itself and have also been the subject of much strife, these being Wilburia and Three Words.

Three Words is essentially undamaged, only the roads being blown up. Restoring it is simple, you make the coordinates private again to everyone but Lord1 and Tenced. They can repair the damage themselves, which again is minor and self-caused.

Wilburia is griefed severely. Yukarion has indicated to me that he would be willing to access a server backup to world edit Wilburia back onto Sim in an ungriefed state as well as make the coordinates to the area private to anyone who wasn't a base resident.

This would be an exception to the 90 day time-limit imposed by the BRP. It seems that due to the very small amount of previous occurrences of this specific type of incident as well as the relatively small amount of bases that were destroyed illegally, this is something that could be pulled off without creating unnecessary complaining.

This would also not change the 90 day time-limit on BRP, which is only there because of current block log limitations. Just because these two bases would be restored past the 90 day limit does not mean you should expect to have your base restored that was griefed illegally years ago.

This would amend the mistake that was letting AntHand use the wolf exploit as a compromise position between those who want him banned and the admin team who have no intentions of banning someone they gave permission to. His actions in finding these bases would be nullified, and the inhabitants could once again resume working at the bases that were temporarily dead.
Lord1
[rawr]

Re: Restoring Wilburia and Three Words

Post by Lord1 »

YES QUEEEEEN!!!!!! LET'S GO KORIJENKINS FOR PREZZY !!!! <3 #BRINGHERBACK <3
ostrich1414
Wiki Janitor

Post by ostrich1414 »

While I wholeheartedly support Lord1 and Tenced's decision to restore Three Words (if they so choose to), I am personally fine with leaving Wilburia as it currently stands.

For context: ever since Wilburia was first invaded and annexed by the Caudices in May 2020, I have joined five bases and founded two of my own. I am currently a member of three active bases. My personal tastes and interests have shifted. Frankly, I have moved on since the days of Wilburia. While I was admittedly very pissed off when the annexation first occurred (and rightfully so, having later found out how the city was discovered), I have moved on since then and have found interest in other aspects of SimPvP base building and city planning.

Upon Wilburia's discovery, it was promptly abandoned and left to rot and decay for months. Zepheron and I only really used it occasionally to show off to others or to rob it of items. By December 2020, Wilburia was effectively a zombified version of itself. The base was dead, and almost all of its items were taken by us and used in other projects. Furthermore, cheesy_chips22 had quit the server months prior, and Zepheron himself later quit in September. Porkington was never really an active member of Wilburia, although even he rarely plays anymore. This effectively left me as the sole active owner of Wilburia.

When Wilburia was discovered by 39Y and then leaked to a bunch of 2b2t players, Zepheron and I were annoyed. The portal was wrongfully x-rayed, and leaked to players, with the intent to grief it. However, we were not mad. The base was dead, and by this point (January 19th, 2021), unused, and frankly unimportant. All Wilburia served to us by then was as a piece of nostalgia, but it had no practical uses anymore. When Zeph and I both griefed it that day, we both realized that the experience was rather cathartic. The base had been taken short, but still managed to survive and stand strong, giving away its last bit of materials and resources until the end of 2020. By the day we had griefed it, it was merely a husk of what it once was, and putting it down was a relief as now, no one could touch it. No hackers, no vanilla players. We griefed it at our own will and laid its dying corpse to rest, giving us the control of its life.

The reason I bring this up is because I wish to leave Wilburia as it is: in ruins. As the base's founder, primary builder, and (as of now) sole active former member, I wish to not restore it. I want to leave the ruins behind as a reminder of what once was, and, tbh, a cautionary tale of what can happen on Sim at any moment. I believe that restoring it is pointless in that I will have no use for the base, nor would I bring anyone to it. I am lucky to already have a world download of Wilburia, and I have already made dozens of pieces of content on the city. It has served its purpose. I want to lay it to rest, not resurrect it.

For the record I 100% support the base restoration policy and the restoration of Three Words, I just wish to leave Wilburia as it is. And since it is my base, I hope my wish is granted. The last thing I need is for the restored city to somehow get discovered and griefed again and enter an endless cycle of reviving a zombie that, frankly, should just stay dead. I am very excited about the work that is being done with this policy, I would just like Wilburia to be a one-off exception for personal reasons.
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Post by KoriJenkins »

ostrich1414 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:24 am For the record I 100% support the base restoration policy and the restoration of Three Words, I just wish to leave Wilburia as it is. And since it is my base, I hope my wish is granted. The last thing I need is for the restored city to somehow get discovered and griefed again and enter an endless cycle of reviving a zombie that, frankly, should just stay dead. I am very excited about the work that is being done with this policy, I would just like Wilburia to be a one-off exception for personal reasons.
Well then I think you've just made the job much much easier given that world edit isn't needed for Three Words to be brought back. All that has to be done in that case is say "the coords are now private" and it's fixed lol.
Burger
in iron armor

Post by Burger »

I don't particularly mind if these bases are restored, but it is my opinion that they shouldn't be. Base restoration policy should be clear-cut and unambiguous, and starting to add "exceptions" kind of contradicts this. They were destroyed by (technically) legal means.
Lord1
[rawr]

Post by Lord1 »

KoriJenkins wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:19 am
ostrich1414 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:24 am For the record I 100% support the base restoration policy and the restoration of Three Words, I just wish to leave Wilburia as it is. And since it is my base, I hope my wish is granted. The last thing I need is for the restored city to somehow get discovered and griefed again and enter an endless cycle of reviving a zombie that, frankly, should just stay dead. I am very excited about the work that is being done with this policy, I would just like Wilburia to be a one-off exception for personal reasons.
Well then I think you've just made the job much much easier given that world edit isn't needed for Three Words to be brought back. All that has to be done in that case is say "the coords are now private" and it's fixed lol.
I'll compromise with that too, anything that shows people what AntHand did was wrong and something was done about it, even if it's yukar saying "3 word private lol"
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Post by KoriJenkins »

Burger wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:42 pm I don't particularly mind if these bases are restored, but it is my opinion that they shouldn't be. Base restoration policy should be clear-cut and unambiguous, and starting to add "exceptions" kind of contradicts this. They were destroyed by (technically) legal means.
This is intended to be a one time exception to it.

I wouldn't even consider it part of the BRP. The circumstances that created the situation that demand an exception to it are rather hard to replicate. I don't think there's ever been a major exploit that was later deemed illegal after bases were wiped out, and given Yukar's stance on them now, I doubt there will be in the future.
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »