Whitelist Abuse/Overreliance

General simplicitypvp.net related topics
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Whitelist Abuse/Overreliance

Post by KoriJenkins »

New disturbing trend is happening. New players join in large quantity. Admins see new players join. One of them hacks. Admins activate whitelist to get rid of them all without banning them.

Not certain if this is how Yukarion intends for the whitelist to be used. There's no excuse for there to be 2 admins online who can watch these people to see if they're cheating and not do it.

If it's boring, or you don't like it, fucking quit then. You don't have to be an admin, you took the job knowing it would impact your availability to play other aspects of the server. If that's become a nuisance because there's a sudden spike of new players just quit the job. The whitelist exists for periods where there are no admins at all, or a server invasion by alt accounts of hackers. It does not exist for admins to have a way out of doing their jobs, which is currently how it's getting most of its use.

This directly affects me as I have 3 alts I currently can't access at all because they stupidly set the whitelist to 20 hours instead of 5. (It shouldn't be on at all given that there are active admins online)

And by the way this doesn't even go into the fact that it's totally unfair to new players to just outright bar them from being able to play. 20 hours is a pretty large wall to put up, evidenced by the fact that 3 alts of mine cannot be played, including the account of someone at one of my bases that I also have access to that they use specifically to base with me. How many players have joined in 2021 that now cannot log on because Mo and ostrich just didn't feel like doing admin duty?

Just fucking make clipchip an admin, he's back and playing again. He would at least follow these people and watch them and give a shit instead of hiding behind a whitelist because he'd rather fuck around at a base with other people.

For the record I complained in-game when it was thrown on despite 2 active admins online and the response I got was "whitelist >" from ostrich and nothing from Mo.
MoWobbler
in iron armor

Re: Whitelist Abuse/Overreliance

Post by MoWobbler »

I personally wouldn't have put the whitelist on, but I don't think it's a big deal that it was enabled. These players all knew each other, one was hacking and another was leaking a player's ip. I agree that the hours shouldn't have been set so high.
VetoTheNeato
[rawr]

Post by VetoTheNeato »

I do find myself confused about the situation. Why take on more mods if you're gonna keep the whitelist up? It's dumb. I'm not gonna say the server is in trouble because of it, but I wish they'd either turn off the whitelist or be more transparent on their intentions.
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Post by KoriJenkins »

VetoTheNeato wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:14 am I do find myself confused about the situation. Why take on more mods if you're gonna keep the whitelist up? It's dumb. I'm not gonna say the server is in trouble because of it, but I wish they'd either turn off the whitelist or be more transparent on their intentions.
My main complaint is that the whitelist doesn't exist as an easy way out for the admins. Just because there are 5 new 2b2t players and 1 hacked doesn't mean the other 4 should be booted by the whitelist. Not to mention it bars potential legit players from joining.

As I said, if watching new players is annoying and they have a very blasé attitude towards doing it, quit. The job description is "catching hackers and resolving issues" essentially, not "turn on the whitelist when new players start joining because they're interrupting my building session."