OP

Re: Large treasure hunt

Post by Xestia »

Woah, what happened to the thread?
Xestia
OP

Post by Xestia »

Okay, Imicus and Plankerman have just won, so I'll explain all the different hints here.

First one.

Code: Select all

In the underworld at 3 100's
The underworld is the nether, and the 3 100's are the coordinates, so the next sign is at x:100, y:100, z:100 in the nether.

#2.

This is a
ragaman
Doa Jill
Ragaman is an anagram for anagram. Doa Jill is an anagram for old jail. The old jail is the old jail we have below the NPC town in spawn.

1km north of x:0 z:0
(based on sun, not clouds)
In minecraft each block is 1m^3. and in case you don't know 1km is 1000 meters. So it's telling you to walk 1km north. Telling which way is north in minecraft is tricky, because there are multiple indicators that give a contradictory answer, I said based on sun to mean that it's based on the sun, since the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. So it will lead you to x:0 z:-1000.

kelvin =
celcius + x
(no decimals)
Z = 1000
Right, this is a simple equation that looks more complicated than it really is. 0 degrees celcius = 273 degrees kelvin. So x = 273. Z = 1000, no calculations to do there.

In a 2d equilateral triangular box lies 3 perfect circles each with a diameter of 60, the circles are as close to each other as possible, and the box is as small as possible. Results are rounded DOWN to 1 decimal, and the 1 decimal goes into the coordinates (ie. 123,456 would be x: 1234). x = 1 side of the triangle. z = height of the triangle.
This one was a bit poorly worded, I was in a rush (well, relatively).
Well anyway, here's the triangle drawn

We know each of the circles have a radius of 30, and since we know the whole triangle is equilateral, we know the degrees on the corner angle on the gray triangle. We also know the opposite sides length, as it's one radius of the circle. We can then use tangent to calculate the length of the adjacent side of the gray triangle (51,9). Then we know the total length x must be 51,9 * 2 + 30 * 2, because there is 30 from the center of the left circle to the right circle, and then 30 more to the center of the right circle, and then 51,9 more to the corner. So the length of x is 163,924. From that we know the x coordinate is 1639.

For the z coordinate we calculate the opposite side of the purple triangle. We know the adjacent side to be 163,924 / 2 = 81,962. We know angle A is 60 degrees, as it's an equilateral triangle (so all degrees are 60 degrees.) So we then use tangent once again to calculate the total length of z, 141,96. And we then know the z coordinate is 1419.

In hindsight I should have made the diameter 600, I'll take that into account when I do my next treasure hunt ^^

4x^2 - 24x = 0
x =/= 0
z = -x * 300
Small quadratic equation. We isolate x to x ( 4x - 24 ) = 0, we then get that x must be either 0 or 6. Second line of the sign says x cannot be 0, so we know x = 6. Z is simple algebra, -6 * 300 = -1800. So z = -1800.

Cosmologist
[name]'s cosmos
x = birthyear
z = year of death
Honestly I'm disappointed you all had so much trouble with this one.

Mostly because I'm amazed nobody knows Carl Sagan, but also because if you simply google cosmos it's the 3rd result.

Anyway, Carl Sagan was born in 1934 and died in 1996.
x = 1934
z = 1996

Walk 6561,679 feet towards the land of the rising sun.
Feet is referring to the metric unit, and 6561,679 feet = 2000 meters = 2000 blocks. Walking towards the land of the rising sun refers to walking east (sun rises in east), or simply walking towards the sun. This takes us to x = 3934 z = 1996

bit.ly/w5fFk7
Catalog#:
bit.ly/w5fFk7 is an internet url, on the page you're taken to it has a line that says Catalog#: 4350 - 1000. This one was a bit abstract, I wasn't expecting anybody to get it right first time, but to have to try one or two coordinates. But the correct coordinates were x = 4350 z = -1000

Danish physicist
Won Nobel prize
One of the founders of quantum mechanics
x = 4350
z = year he received Nobel prize
This is referring to Niels Bohr, who received the Nobel prize for physics in 1922. So x = 4350, z = 1922.

And at x = 4350 z = 1922 a chest of Image was found
TLRedemption
Noob

Post by TLRedemption »

Gingeronamission
in diamond armor

Post by Gingeronamission »

I never even got a chance...
:(
yourcreepyuncle
hated the previously assigned rank

Post by yourcreepyuncle »

Me either dude...
Gingeronamission
in diamond armor

Shame...
FoSchnizzle
Moron

Post by FoSchnizzle »

I tried, but got started much later than i'd've liked, had to leave in the middle of my hunt, and I hardly made it a respectable distance.
Gingeronamission
in diamond armor

Honestly, I would have figured out 1 or 2 of those clues anyways.
RevStoningpot
Moron
Location: first star to the right and straight on till morning

Post by RevStoningpot »

doesn't the first person to get there just take down the clue?
FoSchnizzle
Moron

Post by FoSchnizzle »

Xestia had it so that the signs and the blocks they stood on were in a protected area that only included that. I asked the same question :P