map limit

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started

Add a 5k world boundary?

Poll ended at Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:01 pm

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes: 52

Bloop the poop
Moron

Re: map limit

Post by Bloop the poop »

Only three strongholds per map. Yeah, I think I'll put off joining you then but I'll still be up for trade and stuff. I've been wandering around xestia's village for a while now just gathering stuff for a journey. I'm going to have to make a small base tho... Anyone up for joining me mail me ingame.

@lso @rev I actually have a lot of stuff in what is basically a noob base but it has all my shit from the old server on it. If I manage to find it I'll have thirteen slimeballs and a few pumpkins.
RevStoningpot
Moron
Location: first star to the right and straight on till morning

Post by RevStoningpot »

in one of pianiseemos games. But i avoid fighting as best i can since players never sync right and I just get screwed over every time. for instance in the last game i played i had full health and iron armor when i saw pianiseemo coming towards me given the distance i knew i had enough time to let of a full power arrow before he'd get to me. i was sudenly dead before my arrow released and i only saw one swing of his sword. If that kind of shit would be fixed I'd probably enjoy fighting more doesn't mean i want to build in a place where i know my shit'll be attacked every day
SolFuji
in iron armor

Post by SolFuji »

No map limit please!
Xestia
OP

Post by Xestia »

Adding a map limit now would cause too many problems with people already outside the proposed map border, I think a more realistic suggestion would be adding a map border after the next map reset. I propose 3k, at 3k you're still pretty safe, but people are close together enough for loads of awesome battles.
RevStoningpot
Moron

Post by RevStoningpot »

Seriously people play the prerelease. If you limit the map to already generated terrain no new strongholds will generate so no ender portals so no ender dimension if the map is limited we will get no 1.9 generation
trouble_354
[rawr]

Post by trouble_354 »

we need map reset for 1.9 anyway as all the chunks in a 5k+ radius have already been generated.
RevStoningpot
Moron

Post by RevStoningpot »

What is with all you dumnbasses Yukar already made it perfectly clear that there will be no map reset only a nether reset.
Xestia
OP

Post by Xestia »

No map reset for 1.9, obviously, but I doubt this map will never be reset.
pianiseemo
OP

+/- 5k Map Limit

Post by pianiseemo »

Pianiseemo is suggesting a +/-5k Map Limit. Please actually read what I say and seriously consider it.

Now why is this?
PvP is not even close to the levels that it should be at on this server. Many other servers have PvP death messages at least sporadically... and we don't. Think about the last time you had an actual PvP encounter (outside of events).

Many nights there are only 5 players online... you can say that that number will "increase", but we've been saying that for one month and it hasn't. If more people come online, then we can always extend the map limit to 10k.

Some people are even living 60k from spawn. Most of the server is living way, way out from spawn. There is barely any player contact. Furthermore, players who choose to go around loading new chunks cause server-wide lag.

How will a map limit help the server?
It will significantly increase PvP and player contact. Simplicity will become a true fighting server, and not a free-build your base 60k blocks away server.

It should also help with lag. Less chunks will be loaded constantly.

Many of you have played the hunger games and liked it a lot- and that's within a 100 radius bedrock dome. I'm suggesting a a map limit with an area of 100 million blocks. I think that's way more than we need, and we can always increase this limit if we need to.

What are the downsides to this map limit?
Well, first of all, everyone who is way outside of +/- 5k will have to move. We might copy your bases over to within the map limit (not sure).

You'll also not be able to build epic above-ground bases. However, in my opinion, if you're going to do that, go to free-build- why are you coming to a PvP server to build buildings 70k from spawn and essentially free-build?

Finally, this might supposedly go against our "vanilla doctrine." If you honestly believe that being a vanilla server means no map limit and essentially no PvP, then I respect your opinion but beg to disagree. I'm pretty sure hosting events is against the server's "vanilla doctrine" as well, but it seems like not a single person has any complaints about events.
TheLea
[rawr]

Re: +/- 5k Map Limit

Post by TheLea »

I very much approve of this suggestion. The player contact is nil. I know building stuff far away is fun, but you might as well do that offline since no one will ever see it but yourself.

A maplimit of +/- 5k would be big enough to allow hidden bases and small enough to allow easy to achieve world pvp, which is actually a lot of fun.

Again, it's fun building pretty stuff 50k out, but it's almost more fun finding bases and killing people to claim their resources.

I vote 110% yes!