map limit

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started

Add a 5k world boundary?

Poll ended at Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:01 pm

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes: 52

Xestia
OP

Re: map limit

Post by Xestia »

Some builders will, most won't, but it will remove the temptation of building a safe base which a lot of non-builders have fallen for.

They would leave when everything they make is destroyed, but yet again, this isn't a creative server, don't build pretty buildings.

People would start hiding better, but they would also be closer to spawn, which means they'd be much more willing to take the trip. Of course nothing would change for the people who decide to hang around 4.5k and never come closer to spawn, but that won't be too many people.

Yes they do bother the server, their lack of contact with other players means that the server becomes very desolate, which is exactly why there's rarely more than 15 people online at a time.
The difference to a free build server is that there will always be the danger of loosing everything.
Of course there's a chance, but that chance is incredibly low when you build far from spawn. You also have a chance of losing everything in singleplayer, but the chance of such a computer malfunction is so low that nobody recognizes it as a real possibility. Freebuild servers have the exact same chance, a griefer could come on, the server owner could decide to shutdown the server, etc. My argument was that the possibility of being detected 200k blocks from spawn was lower than the chance of you losing everything on a freebuild server, and I stand by that. You are safer 200k blocks from spawn on this server, than you are on a freebuild server.
ccrh
[rawr]

Post by ccrh »

on free build servers they often have people sign up for build perms or require a mod to promote them to members to build anything and then the stuff are often protected by one of about 20 plugins
Vaslor
[rawr]

Post by Vaslor »

RevStoningpot wrote:i'm still waiting to hear how cutting off half the players is supposed to get more people to join the server.
What I'm hoping for is that we can say this server is still an anarchy, pseudo-vanilla, chaotic server, with plenty of PvP, and actually mean it. There will actually be more interesting drama going on. Are you honestly saying that at over 20k, you're finding a sufficient amount of people to grief to keep you happy?
Xestia
OP

Post by Xestia »

ccrh wrote:on free build servers they often have people sign up for build perms or require a mod to promote them to members to build anything and then the stuff are often protected by one of about 20 plugins
I'm not saying it's likely to happen, I'm saying it's more likely than somebody finding you 200k blocks from spawn.
RevStoningpot
Moron
Location: first star to the right and straight on till morning

Post by RevStoningpot »

so the theory is if the map is limited people will have no trouble finding others and they will stay for that reason. This theory is bull shit. a lot of people quit within a few minutes because 1 there's no fancy happy town for them to log into 2 there's no trees or food or 3 they can't get free from the spawn killers. I've never heard some one say "there's no one around to kill and i'm not getting killed well this server is shit" when you burry your base in untouched land no one but an xrayer can find you. so don't bitch at me for building where no one can find you. This theory of yours holds no weight. we have now on this server people that look for a fight and people that avoid fighting and that would not change with a map limit. Why don't all you map limit supporters just go live in one of pianiseemos domes and leave the rest of us to enjoy the game as it's meant to be? and seriously you need a real reason maybe with some evidance to back it as to why a map limit would increse the amount of players. And Sol nice counter argument i couldn't have said it better other than adding a few choice words that the squares get all pissy about
ccrh
[rawr]

Post by ccrh »

Id would like to point out one main topic of rev's statement: this
RevStoningpot wrote:so the theory is if the map is limited people will have no trouble finding others and they will stay for that reason. This theory is bull shit. a lot of people quit within a few minutes because 1 there's no fancy happy town for them to log into 2 there's no trees or food or 3 they can't get free from the spawn killers. I've never heard some one say "there's no one around to kill and i'm not getting killed well this server is shit"
as many flying hackers as ive seen this is a good reason to not live too close to spawn
RevStoningpot wrote: when you burry your base in untouched land no one but an xrayer can find you. so don't bitch at me for building where no one can find you.
i have an idea
RevStoningpot wrote: Why don't all you map limit supporters just go live in one of pianiseemos domes and leave the rest of us to enjoy the game as it's meant to be?
how bout like an in-game war between those who want a limit and those who dont, ops who want to participate will be deopped for the time of the event and be reopped afterwards otherwise, we would have like a huge clan battle war thingy wherein the 2 clans at battle would be those in favor of map limit and those opposed, idk that just seems like it would be an epic amount of fun for the server
Xestia
OP

Post by Xestia »

ow bout like an in-game war between those who want a limit and those who dont
We all know who'd win that.
so the theory is if the map is limited people will have no trouble finding others and they will stay for that reason. This theory is bull shit. a lot of people quit within a few minutes because 1 there's no fancy happy town for them to log into 2 there's no trees or food or 3 they can't get free from the spawn killers.
Yes, but our 'theory' (if you really want to call it that) isn't that every person who joins will want to stay, it's that a lot more people will want to stay, and that everybody will become actively engaged in pvp.
I've never heard some one say "there's no one around to kill and i'm not getting killed well this server is shit"
That's weird, it's not like people complaining about the lack of pvp is uncommon, or maybe you just ignore those as they go against your view?
when you burry your base in untouched land no one but an xrayer can find you. so don't bitch at me for building where no one can find you.
Why shouldn't I bitch at you for building where no one can find you?
we have now on this server people that look for a fight and people that avoid fighting and that would not change with a map limit
We have people on the server currently looking for fights? I've been on for about 2 hours, and I didn't notice a single person looking for a fight. But it would change, people would no longer be able to build completely safe buildings, it would force everybody to pvp, or as you put it 'people that look for a fight'
Why don't all you map limit supporters just go live in one of pianiseemos domes and leave the rest of us to enjoy the game as it's meant to be?
Well one, an arena is hardly how real pvp is, and the rest of singleplayer is meant to be played as you play it, however the rest of this server is meant to be played as a pvper, not a hide-200k-blocks-from-spawn-and-never-fight-anybody person.
and seriously you need a real reason maybe with some evidance to back it as to why a map limit would increse the amount of players
Here's some good evidence: You've only responded to ~40% of my arguments, the rest have quite simply been ignored. Meanwhile I've responded to nearly all your claims, how's that for evidence? Maybe if you could back your claim that a world boundary would kill this server, you would have won.
RevStoningpot
Moron

Post by RevStoningpot »

Xestia wrote:
we have now on this server people that look for a fight and people that avoid fighting and that would not change with a map limit
We have people on the server currently looking for fights? I've been on for about 2 hours, and I didn't notice a single person looking for a fight. But it would change, people would no longer be able to build completely safe buildings, it would force everybody to pvp, or as you put it 'people that look for a fight'

There you just said it yourself people arn't looking for pvp

This is a Vanilla server with pvp enabled not a PVP server as you keep calling it. People come to vanilla servers because they don't want a bunch of rules and boundaries. You however want to impose a rule that would only stand to harm people other than you. This is as illogical and moraly corrupt as a prohabition. You want to take away the freedom a person has to the persuit of happiness even though their actions do not harm you or take away your freedoms. And you people that wouls support such a thing are the same types of people that would vote for hitler.

And again you duck my question.
TLRedemption
Noob

Post by TLRedemption »

I don't think this map limit will pass tbh... only way i can think of is if it turns out that some of the "No" voters are fake.
RevStoningpot
Moron

Post by RevStoningpot »

Adding a map limit now would cause too many problems with people already outside the proposed map border
I agree
No map reset for 1.9, obviously, but I doubt this map will never be reset.
Look down a bit you are opposed to a map limit
I just have one question, how do you plan to implement this? Forcing everybody more than 5k from spawn (95% of everybody) is gonna cause a shitload of ragequits and people pissed over having to move.

Well, I'll admit I have no idea what the consensus on this is ingame, but do you really think everybody outside the proposed boundary is going to be happy having to completely rebuild their base? You can't give them worldedit to move it, it'd get abused instantly, and you can't have admins move every base, it'd take days.

No it won't, why would the map need to be reset?
So without a map reset we will potetialy not have access to new eliments upcomingThose are all minor things, and are nowhere near worth losing all your hard work for.
So when the tables are turned you don't want to lose your stuff and would even oppose updating to keep it
10k is so far that people can still easily hide and never come out. I think 3k is perfect, at 2.5k you're safe but still close enough to make it worthwhile to go to spawn.
If you bury yourself even 3K is good enough to remain cut off from everyone without xray
If you want to play a building game go to c.nerd.nu I've heard it's filled with intelligent individuals (such as yourself) who love building, which should suit you pretty well. Meanwhile this is a pvp server, player vs player, not player vs air
I want to play a vanilla server and this one suits me just fine you're the one who has a problem with it so you should go find another server
If you did play like that and came back to spawn frequently to raid/grief bases I would agree with you, and I have no problem with people playing like that. The problem is people hiding 80k blocks from spawn and never venturing back in to play with other players. Essentially just using this server as a way to make pretty buildings.
A world limit won't make people go to spawn most people are smart enough to realize there is nothing worth going there for
Box, while I see the perfection not having a world boundary brings, the fact is that a server with a world boundary is better than a server with no combat.
this is of coarse just your opinion although there is still combat just the way it is you're just not happy the amount
Yes it would restrict peoples freedom, and rightfully so, if restricting peoples freedom is a necessity to keep this server alive, then I see no problem in it
I'm strongly opposed to this kind of nazi thinking in real life as well as online give me liberty or give me death
isn't this server also restricting your freedom by not allowing hacks?
This is like life i give up my freedom to kill people in return of others giving up their right to kill me. If i give up my right to travel what right will you give up in return
If this server was doing okay I would agree with you, but the problem is that this server's pvp is dead, thanks to the idea of 'people should be allowed to build far from spawn and never interact with other people'
Okay you're a noob so I'll give you a brief history. This server started out dead and only gained players when Yukar bought top page advertisment space. It was capping out the 50 player limit and pvp was active because of the large protected spawn site. It did NOT have a limit. Activity still hasn't gone as low as when i started. But this would suggest that advertisment is what the server needs and i'm sure yukar wouldn't mind one bit if you paid for some ads. But i'm sure you won't because this isn't acctaully what you want
Actually it will become active, and I'm pretty sure there are more people close to spawn than further from spawn. But it definitely will not become active again if nothing is changed, so the decision isn't very hard.
it will? oh just cuz you say so well as long as you know it will it must be true see above how to get it active
What challenge is there to build 80k blocks from spawn? You're more likely to get griefed on a creative server, than you are 80k blocks from spawn here.
The challange is permanent no mater where you are. the point is to not have people find your shit why would i build anything if i want people to ruin it?
pianiseemo I thought you said there would be support for this.
PIANISEEMO: Xestia, I was not prepared for the vote to occur right as I was out of power for one week. I need to talk to the server players and inform them about what a map limit really means... Apparently while I was gone, the pro-map limit side has really not been heard.
This is what i find suspicious the yes side had very few votes untill pianiseemo showed up. no one needed to be informed by him specificaly the server has had a message up about it at log in since the vote started. So why the sudden flood only when you gets back from his snow break
I agree, but in your case the defense consists of separating yourself entirely from everybody on the server you don't trust, and the offense is entirely non-existent.
This again just shows that you yourself do not think the majority of people want pvp
Those are the weekend people, every weekend the server fills up, then monday it goes down to 4 people again. If it was weekend all week I wouldn't want a map limit, but it isn't, the server is empy, a lot.
We can't force people to play only when you want to there server is bound to have pak and off peak times
I think you're underestimating the amount of available space we have within 5k blocks of spawn
I think you still don't realize most of it is ocean. which is fine for hidding under but we all know you don't want people hiding from you
The freedom of this server is great, but I don't see how traveling far is in any way using that freedom.
How is it not freedom? It's called right to travel and in life it is one of our inalienable rights.
I do hate this server, in fact I hate it so much the only reason I support this suggestion is because I want this server to die out.
Well glad you tell us the truth of how you feel i'm just surprised people still follow you
Yes, but our 'theory' (if you really want to call it that) isn't that every person who joins will want to stay, it's that a lot more people will want to stay, and that everybody will become actively engaged in pvp.
Why will every one play the way you want just cuz there's a limit i'm pretty sure people that want to hide will still do so. and people who join and ask is this vanilla will leave when they here it's not. And people that see there is no trees or food will still quit right after joining. And yes i want to call it a theory because there is no evidence supporting it and by the way i have read your posts ^ what's your position?
Why shouldn't I bitch at you for building where no one can find you?
Because i don't bitch about where you build

So if you'd please tell me why you think adding a limit will increase the player population.