map limit

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started

Add a 5k world boundary?

Poll ended at Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:01 pm

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes: 52

RevStoningpot
Moron
Location: first star to the right and straight on till morning

Re: map limit

Post by RevStoningpot »

Yukar9 wrote:I've extended the vote for now, I'll go through the votes and compare people by IP and whether or not they actually play on this server.
I do wish for a legit vote but how will this be done if you allow only 1 vote per ip then people that play on the same computer wouldn't each get a vote. Also ips arn't always static so cheaters could just register with a different ip. And as for taking out people who don't play as much as others that's just unfair also just cuz you don't recognize the name here doesn't mean they don't play under a different name.
worldruler086
hated the previously assigned rank

Post by worldruler086 »

Hello, I voted for no on the 5k map limit, as I feel it kills the vanilla-anarchy experience. I wouldn't mind a larger map limit (15k being the lowest I could do), but I feel a limit is toxic for the experience
floof09
[rawr]

Post by floof09 »

No.
Just no.

Anyone who supports this will have already been within this limit, hence why they want it to get more people near them.
And thats why this is a complete and utter no for me. All your doing is forcing the people who don't want to, to do just that.
This only benefits half the community. The other half is unhappy. If left as is you can still put advertisements for the server, gather friends, or find people already on the server who want to move near spawn.

For most people combat is laggy, glitchy, and not a bit of fun. Such as myself. This also means that of the half of the community that doesn't want only a half of that half could probably even get any enjoyment out of it to begin with.

This idea takes away ones freedom for the benefit of another. We still do get new members, I see them quite a bit. You also have to remember that most people are busy with school. And many still come on during breaks and weekends. And I can assure you that if this does win those people who look forward to coming on during their free time may decrease to the amount of people who visit every day.

So this really only benefits 1/3 of the people.
Originally I said I would vote if this was increased to 10k, but glossing over it unless it was increased to 100k I would not support it.

If this limit does go through however, may I recommend that we have 10k but have the first 5k remain constant, and the other half of the 5k reset per say every new update? So the first 5k would remain the same always but anything past this would reset after each update. That way if we did have a 5k limit we could still collect new stuff, and of course nobody would build past 5k seeing as how it resets every update.

Again though my top priority is to keep it as is. But if it must come to a change... ^
YoungsMC
in diamond armor

Post by YoungsMC »

I really want for some of the "No" voters to reconsider.
Lately there's almost been no difference between this server and single player. Minecraft Survival itself can get stale very quickly, we need to reinforce PVP by putting us closer together.

Pianiseemo and I have been searching around the server looking for fights many times.
So far, the closest thing we've found to a fight was empty handed people fist-fighting at spawn.

The reason people go on SMP is for surviving the chaos of griefing and PVP.
Right now I believe it should be around 4k, but a 10k limit is better than no limit at all.
ccrh
[rawr]

Post by ccrh »

Yukar has on the website's home page wrote:We are a semi-small (50 slot) minecraft anarchy server. We have only one enforced rule: No hacking. This means that you can do everything possible in vanilla SSP. We are pseudo-vanilla, that is we do have plugins running, but no plugins that effect gameplay. [bold]There are no world boundaries[/bold], no restricted blocks, tnt, lava, fire, griefing, killing, and stealing is all allowed.
If you really want yukar to have to change this, how about we also add essentials so we can have some warps but disable it so people cant have /homes. that way, if you want to pvp then we can have a bedrock dome wherein you can pvp all you want.[/sarcasm]

or at least, if you are going to make the map limited then lets also have a new map every now and then but when the map is reset, we can keep our inventories to rebuild but there will be a new map and a nice little rush whenever the map is reset and we all have to scatter. but seriously, is this forum thread not 14 pages of rofl?
SolFuji
in iron armor

Post by SolFuji »

Xestia wrote:Yes they do bother the server, their lack of contact with other players means that the server becomes very desolate, which is exactly why there's rarely more than 15 people online at a time.
I don't think so.
Not the lack of contact between hermits and pvp players makes the server desolate, but the lack of pvp players. (if the server is really desolate... I don't feel it...) The hermits do not harm anyone, because they do not prevent anyone from doing pvp in any way. If you remove the hermits, there will not be 15 people online doing pvp at a time, but 7. Forcing them into a map limit will drive people away and not bring new people here. This will not change anything into the direction you want.
The only working solution is to bring new people in. An this will work independent of a map limit or not.

During this discussion I heared good arguments for and against a limit and I kept my decission:

I am against a map limit now.

Reason(s):
  • This server is vanilla anarchy, allowing pvp, but not forcing pvp. Everyone should be able to play the way he/she wants, not other people want.
  • The hope for an increased pvp by a map limit whith the existing players will not be fulfilled. Just bring new people.
  • A limit has many drawbacks like limited ressources and missing new features with new updates.
I could get used to a completely new world with a map limit with the next updates when most players are woting for it. I would set the limit to the range you can walk within one day.
Personally a map limit for the current server would not bother me, I will move closer to spawn soon. But I would still prefere an open world.
Xestia
OP

Post by Xestia »

Okay, first responding to floof. Your assumption that the only reason we want this is to get more people around us just shows that you didn't even bother reading the OP.

It does not only benefit half the community, it benefits everybody, as it creates a much less dead server. And no if left as is we cannot just advertise it or gather friends, I've been doing just that since I started playing here in june, and there's still no pvp.

If you think combat is laggy and not fun, then why go to simplicitypvp.net? Go find a nice server where you can build and not have to pvp at all, or better yet just go play singleplayer.

We do get new members, but far from enough to keep this server alive. Even during primetime evenings there are at most 15 people online, does that sound like an active server to you? 'those people who look forward to coming on during their free time may decrease' I presume you're referring to yourself, this statement is of course false, and should instead be 'those people who dislike combat and look forward to coming on during their free time may decrease', where people who do enjoy pvp and only come on during their free time would obviously increase.

Now on to Rev
So without a map reset we will potetialy not have access to new eliments upcoming
Yes we would, most features don't need new map generation at all, and those that you can simply use plugins to generate them. The only time when a map reset was needed to get these new features was when the entire map generator was remade.
So when the tables are turned you don't want to lose your stuff and would even oppose updating to keep it
Nope, I'd have no problem with losing the fort I've put a lot of time into, if losing it was a necessity to creating a better server. Besides you're really quotemining me there, I was referring to not having access to new things such as the new biomes in 1.9, not losing access to what people had made.
If you bury yourself even 3K is good enough to remain cut off from everyone without xray
That is of course true, I even noted it myself a couple pages back, where I also said that the people who did that would be few, as most people will go to spawn if they're nearby anyway, even people who would otherwise never go to spawn.
I want to play a vanilla server and this one suits me just fine you're the one who has a problem with it so you should go find another server
So you're saying that nothing on this server should ever change, and that it should just stay exactly the way it is because people who dislike it can just go find another server? How about we just stop accepting new players then? That way it would stay exactly the way it is, with only the people we already know on it.
A world limit won't make people go to spawn most people are smart enough to realize there is nothing worth going there for
Again, people avoid going to spawn because it's too far, not because there's nothing there to go for. Right now it has nothing to offer, but that's exactly what this suggestion is suppose to change.
this is of coarse just your opinion although there is still combat just the way it is you're just not happy the amount
Well yes what little combat there is, is okay. You are exactly right with stating I'm just not happy with the amount.
I'm strongly opposed to this kind of nazi thinking in real life as well as online give me liberty or give me death
In your mind any rule is nazi thinking? What about rule #2 then? Isn't it a nazi rule for not giving you the liberty to choose whether or not you want to cheat? Rules are there for a reason, just because you might not like them does not mean they are useless or do not server any purpose in the society, and obviously societies with rules are much more successful than those without, good luck convincing every nation in the world to give up their 'nazi thinking'.
This is like life i give up my freedom to kill people in return of others giving up their right to kill me. If i give up my right to travel what right will you give up in return
This is compromise-thought, the common notion that nothing can be reached but by compromise is very stupid, both sides don't have to lose for an agreement to be made. and quickly no I will not lose any right by this suggestion.
Okay you're a noob so I'll give you a brief history. This server started out dead and only gained players when Yukar bought top page advertisment space. It was capping out the 50 player limit and pvp was active because of the large protected spawn site. It did NOT have a limit. Activity still hasn't gone as low as when i started. But this would suggest that advertisment is what the server needs and i'm sure yukar wouldn't mind one bit if you paid for some ads. But i'm sure you won't because this isn't acctaully what you want
Firstly I'm not a noob, I was on when the server was averaging 2 players at primetime, and I do quite clearly remember being able to sleep through nights. Acticity was that low 2 weeks ago, but I agree it's increased since then and is now averaging ~8 people. When the server was capping 50 people there were lots of people, but still not that much pvp. I have plenty of money and I'd have no problem paying for some advertising, in fact I'll go donate a couple hundred euros for yukar9 to use on advertising right now. While getting more people would definitely help a lot (relatively), it wouldn't solve the problem entirely, as most people would still just be hiding from far spawn and never actually fighting.
it will? oh just cuz you say so well as long as you know it will it must be true see above how to get it active
I know it will because the amount of good pvp servers out there is nil, making a good pvp server would draw in the medium-sized crowd of pvpers ~ more activity. Even if I'm wrong the activity can't drop much lower, so there's not much to lose.
I agree, but in your case the defense consists of separating yourself entirely from everybody on the server you don't trust, and the offense is entirely non-existent.
This again just shows that you yourself do not think the majority of people want pvp
Uh, I was referring to you and not the entire sever.
We can't force people to play only when you want to there server is bound to have pak and off peak times
I was saying nothing of forcing people to play when I want them to. I was saying that just because the server peaks 2 days a week does not mean it's an active server, besides peaking at 25 people is not that many anyway.
I think you still don't realize most of it is ocean. which is fine for hidding under but we all know you don't want people hiding from you
^
How is it not freedom? It's called right to travel and in life it is one of our inalienable rights.
Right to travel to a fictional world entirely identical (but more remote) than an identical world you're allowed to travel to. Real freedom you get there.
Well glad you tell us the truth of how you feel i'm just surprised people still follow you
Sorry, I just presumed you were capable of understanding sarcasm, seeing as you are not I'll stop using it entirely.
Why will every one play the way you want just cuz there's a limit i'm pretty sure people that want to hide will still do so
^
and people who join and ask is this vanilla will leave when they here it's not
It isn't vanilla now, people who come for true vanilla already leave quickly.
And people that see there is no trees or food will still quit right after joining.
I stand by my belief that a pvp server shouldn't be accomodating of noobs, so if people incapable of gathering food/wood decide to leave, I'll have no problem with that.
And yes i want to call it a theory because there is no evidence supporting it
Oh the irony, I disliked the term because it doesn't have proper evidence supporting it (and I know that'll be paraphrased to me having no evidence at all, I'm used to it by now)
what's your position?
That this server's pvp is dead, and that a world boundary world solve that issue.
Why shouldn't I bitch at you for building where no one can find you?
Because i don't bitch about where you build
Not a good reason not to, I'll bitch at you for playing singleplayer all I want, even if you don't bitch at me for building where I do (which you by the way have).
So if you'd please tell me why you think adding a limit will increase the player population.
Yeah I think that about covers it.
peanutmartin
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

Post by peanutmartin »

This took me ages to do and i dont want to loose it... Just saying
pianiseemo
OP

Post by pianiseemo »

SolFuji wrote:
Xestia wrote:Yes they do bother the server, their lack of contact with other players means that the server becomes very desolate, which is exactly why there's rarely more than 15 people online at a time.
I don't think so.
Not the lack of contact between hermits and pvp players makes the server desolate, but the lack of pvp players. (if the server is really desolate... I don't feel it...) The hermits do not harm anyone, because they do not prevent anyone from doing pvp in any way. If you remove the hermits, there will not be 15 people online doing pvp at a time, but 7. Forcing them into a map limit will drive people away and not bring new people here. This will not change anything into the direction you want.
The only working solution is to bring new people in. An this will work independent of a map limit or not.

During this discussion I heared good arguments for and against a limit and I kept my decission:

I am against a map limit now.

Reason(s):
  • This server is vanilla anarchy, allowing pvp, but not forcing pvp. Everyone should be able to play the way he/she wants, not other people want.
  • The hope for an increased pvp by a map limit whith the existing players will not be fulfilled. Just bring new people.
  • A limit has many drawbacks like limited ressources and missing new features with new updates.
I could get used to a completely new world with a map limit with the next updates when most players are woting for it. I would set the limit to the range you can walk within one day.
Personally a map limit for the current server would not bother me, I will move closer to spawn soon. But I would still prefere an open world.
This is a great argument. However, several points:
1. Ideally, the hermits are hermits and the PvPers do PvP. However, in reality, if there is no map limit, there is no reason for PvPers not to build their base 20k out as well. You have to be silly to build your base close to spawn. Nobody wants to get raided themselves, but everyone wants to raid and kill others. This is kind of like Nash's equilibrium.
2. New people do not want to join this server. I have seen several new players quit because they see no action.
3. The +/- 5k map limit does mean limited resources. However, there are a TON OF DIAMONDS and OTHER ORES in a 100 million block surface area, which is what a +/- 5k map limit is. You will not notice the limited resources at all... With the exception of trees, which are relatively easy to find.
4. Speaking of missing new features with updates, I'm sure we could find a way to get around this.
trouble_355
[rawr]

Post by trouble_355 »

peanutmartin wrote:
This took me ages to do and i dont want to loose it... Just saying

this exactly the problem, people put too much effort into bases and fear losing them. the chances of losing that is rather slim, even if there was a 5k limit. there's a 1 in 1.6 billion chance of someone randomly digging into your base. you could probably increase the chances from 1 to whatever the volume is of your cavern and its still nothing great. at most its like 2000 in 1.6 billion.