map limit

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started

Add a 5k world boundary?

Poll ended at Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:01 pm

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes: 52

n0iseisjh
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

Re: map limit

Post by n0iseisjh »

The problem isnt the map size. If you make the map size smaller, the amount of pvp will encrease as much as raiding. And raiding is asstorious to be on the wrong end of :P
Further, I have a proposition to solve the pvp problem, as well as trading and such. Build a protected town without PVP around the neatherportal is. Its easy to reach, and it would make socializing easier. As well as pvp, when u leave the zone. One could hunt people going in and out of towns.
dpy
OP

Post by dpy »

Not a fan of the town, after careful consideration I WOULD support a map limit, even if 5k is the only one that can be agreed upon.
Xestia
OP

Post by Xestia »

Rev, I was about to start writing a rather lengthy reply (as usual) to your post, but then I decided that we're both just repeating the same things over and over again. We'll never agree on this, how about we just stop this long unnecessary 'debate'?

Also Yukar9, it's monday, didn't you say you would go through votes by the end of the weekend?
worldruler086
hated the previously assigned rank

Post by worldruler086 »

I think the main issue is finding out what the server's identity is. I've been on pvp servers. I've been on vanilla servers. Is this a server that is vanilla, that just happens to have pvp? Or is it a pvp server that happens to be vanilla? That's the question we need to ask. All pros and cons are mute if we simply say "well, that's the kind of server we're going for". So what server is this? Vanilla-centric, or pvp-centric?
RevStoningpot
Moron
Location: first star to the right and straight on till morning

Post by RevStoningpot »

It is vanilla and to be truely vanilla you have to allow pvp. I mean i know the default server allows you to turn it off. But with it off you take away a function of natural play. And when pvp is off people often block fire lava and tnt. And a vanilla server is a server that should be playable as any player wants. Now since Xestia has dropped her argument I never got a response to what mods are active on the server but i'm opposed to anything other than anti hacks. Also xestia has faild to explaine how a map limited world could still be vanilla. We couldn't even go on calling it psuedo-vanilla. Which is why i don't even see how yukar could concider a map limit as it totaly goes against the roots of this server's creation.
Xestia
OP

Post by Xestia »

Ugh, guess I will have to continue this anyway.

Firstly, this server is inherently vanilla? It's name is simplicitypvp.net not simplicityvanilla.net or something.

I've failed to explain how a map limit can still be vanilla? Well, I don't need to explain, one of my good friends has already done so, I'll just let him explain it.
[talking about antihack]. Which even though it's a mod it keeps players from being nonvanilla so in fact help keep the server more vanilla.
Why couldn't we call it psedovanilla? I'd think that would be the exact definition of pseudovanilla.

Other mods I've noticed that this server has (definitely more that I'm unaware of): Spawn protection. Jail. BedRespawn. Log plugin (forget it's name). WorldEdit. MineMail. ModReq. Motd and /rules and /qa plugin. /lag plugin. The countdown shutdown plugin. Ban plugin. ProperTime. mcserverlist.net plugin. That's a lot of plugins, if a world boundary by itself isn't even pseudovanilla, then there's no way all those plugins are.

You cannot meet people wherever you want, how many people have you met with within the past month? (excluding teleports to spawn to check on hackers) You might be able to /tell people coords and get some people to go there, but it's still at most a dozen or so people. It might have been griefed by an outsider, but did that person find it by stalking you? No, he found it because somebody gave him the coords. Hence very little activity around your place.

Again calling me a nazi, it's sorta cute you have to resort to flaming me to try and get your point across. Maybe if you didn't call me a nazi in every post you make people would take you seriously.

and I'm apparently still selfish, I don't see any reason to try and defend myself as I've already done that and you obviously didn't pay any attention. So I'll just turn it around: You are selfish. You're trying to oppose a suggestion that would get this server going again just because you don't want to lose what you've built. (Yes I know this is a false statement, I'm just playing by your rules now)

Yes, this is according to the thought that the only thing keeping people from going to spawn is that it's too far. Honestly if you don't believe that's how it is then try adding a /home and /spawn and see how many people will be going to and from spawn all the time. I'm sure they would stay far out and hidden even after a map limit, but they would also be closer to spawn, meaning they would occasionally go to spawn and fight. Everybody would do that, if you got bases to raid right next to your own anybody would obviously leave the safety of their base to go raid.

Now again, whether or not everything outside 5k would be moved or not is irrelevant, say it is moved you get to keep your stuff. Say it isn't and this server becomes active, you lose your stuff but this server is active again so it doesn't really matter (after all the well-being of the server is more important than what a few people have built, you've said so yourself). But let's say you lose your stuff and the server does not become active, in that case the world boundary can be lifted and you can just go back to building on your stuff (world boundaries do not delete the world outside them, so it would still be there when the boundary is lifted). So the worst case scenario is that you lose a weeks access to your stuff, that's not really losing a lot.
worldruler086
hated the previously assigned rank

Post by worldruler086 »

Well, I prefer vanilla to pvp. I'm not opposed to pvp, just don't do pvp myself. Perhaps this server isn't for me...
edit-I'm meant to point out that if this server tries to go toward pvp-centric rather then vanilla, I may just head somewhere else. I prefer my servers atmospheric
Xestia
OP

Post by Xestia »

But there's nothing to say it has to be limited to one or the other. With a world limit you can still play without fighting anybody. But as it is now you can't fight anybody even if you want to.
RevStoningpot
Moron
Location: first star to the right and straight on till morning

Post by RevStoningpot »

I'm not too sure what comes with bukkit. There are a few things i thought were just bukkit features and i've come to accept the server as vanilla bukkit. WorldEdit. MineMail. ModReq. Motd and /rules and /qa plugin. I never heard of /lag countdown shutdown propertime mcserverlist.net plugin log plugin. I'd have to assume those arn't real or at least don't do anything noticable to the player. I have spoke out against the jail and the bed thing. I didn't even think there was still a bed mod. But as it stands the idea behind a psudo vanilla title (Pseudo-vanilla anarchy Griefing allowed Killing and stealing allowed was the original name of the server. simplicitypvp.net was added later and is more a name and less a description) is that those changes it does have does not change the vanilla feeling of the sevrver (unless you're a cheater). I think players would definitly notice a giant wall... By the way what exactly is this world boarder supposed to be? You keep suggesting it's temporary but no one has said how long the temporary boarder will be in place. a week you say?
I've met with several people and the one that griefed me had no access to my coords he found me simply by finding me. Cuz I'm not a cave man like you. You act like i run no risk just cuz i live far from spawn but i'm sure my bases far from spawn but above ground are much easier to find than a cave with no visable activity at the entrance.
Xestia
OP

Post by Xestia »

/lag shows how laggy the server is. The countdown plugin is the on that goes "Server will restart in 30 seconds. Please disconnect now". Propertime is the one that makes sure the time is proper, and doesn't fall behind as it does on all vanilla servers (you can notice this by the bouncing moon/sun when it's lagging). The mcserverlist.net plugin is the one needed to send information to mcserverlist.net It's that plugin that does so they can see if the server's online, how many people are online, and what skins they have. The log plugin (actually I believe there are 2) are the plugins that log everything from command usage to block placing and movement. Trust me, they are real and they are all running on this server.

The original name of this server was Hardcore Vanilla PvP|Griefing Allowed|Killing Allowed|Stealing allowed, which was then changed to Hardcore pseudo-vanilla PvP|Griefing Allowed|Killing allowed|Stealing allowed and then to Hardcore pseudo-vanilla anarchy▲Griefing Allowed▲Killing allowed▲Stealing allowed. Coming from somebody who calls me a noob at this server's history I'd presume you knew that.

The border would be made with whatever yukar9 finds the best solution, and it really doesn't matter.

I keep suggesting it's temporary? No I keep stating that if this fails and the server dies out after getting a world boundary, it can be removed (I'd expect that to take about a week tops)

Well I'm very interested in how far from spawn this guy miraculously found your base, and honestly I'm a bit skeptical of the claim.