World Boundary

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started

[UNOFFICIAL] Opinion poll on what's preferred

Boundary stays up and nothing else is done at all
5%
Boundary stays up, but we try one or more other options
18%
Boundary is simply removed, nothing else happens
14%
Boundary is removed, and we try other solutions
34%
More events
16%
Remove beds
2%
Add teleportation
11%

Total votes: 44

Gnatogryz
hated the previously assigned rank

Re: World Boundary

Post by Gnatogryz »

RevStoningpot wrote:Unlike most of you pvp drones
I can see your ego from here :)

But I think I'm gonna yield, some of the arguments really convinced me. I think we're really gonna be better off without the limit. Adjusting my vote now.

Also I'd like to comment on the poll: wtf the last three options are here about? Yes, I'd like to see more events, but I can't see how is this related to the limit. Also, adding teleportation will never pass, so why even bother putting it as an option? If they were meant to be a joke ("remove beds" suggests that), we all had a laugh and now let's get rid of them.
mitte90
OP

Post by mitte90 »

im the only one liking the remove beds ide:P it will work mush better then the limit at improving pvp;):P
RevStoningpot
Moron
Location: first star to the right and straight on till morning

Post by RevStoningpot »

Gnatogryz wrote:
RevStoningpot wrote:Unlike most of you pvp drones
I can see your ego from here :)
I wish you had said that with one of lone's picture comments.

The other options are meant as ways to increase pvp. Events give people a reason to travel to the same area where they wil fight in an event or run into each other on the way. Removing beds is a way to keep people centralised so no matter how far they go they will be back at spawn if they die. Teleporting between spawn and a base makes it so people can live far away without the long journey keeping them from going back for interaction. Personally i only support events, but would prefer any or all of these over the limit. And thanks for changing your mind gnat i'd hate to have to hate you, you seem like a cool guy.
Gnatogryz

Post by Gnatogryz »

RevStoningpot wrote:I wish you had said that with one of lone's picture comments.
Hell no. Rule #1: don't feed a troll.

And as far as I'm concerned, teleportation is completely out of the question. I've played on servers with tp and it really just breaks the purpose of the game (unless you're playing on a creative server). Removing beds is a joke, no question about it, and events are independent of the limit, so they fall into "Boundary is removed, and we try other solutions" option.
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

worldruler086 wrote:whooh boy, I leave for a month and this is still an issue. *sigh* alright, let me say my idea with this.

I'll be frank, I despise the limit. For a multitude of reasons. I'll list three.

1. The limit DOES in fact limit what we can or cannot do. most of which it does so indirectly. We all know how server mechanics work, particularly with a pvp server such as this one. People who make houses on the surface and trust people too openly tend to get weeded out. especially if the limit is here. So let's say you're a new person. you go roaming around spawn, see a few crater houses, and you decide to group up with someone. because the limit is at 5k, you reach the base in a 3 day trip, and are greeted by a small room in the bowels of the Cubeworld. You prefer to make surface forts, something on par with a castle, and you know that even though making a surface structure is probably not the best idea, you know that if it's a good distance away, you'll be fine for a few weeks. maybe even a month, if you are secretive. Sadly, the limit prevents you from going a good distance away, and the limit would actually make it EASIER to find said castle. let me explain.

Imagine you're on a scouting mission, heading due west until you're close to the limit. now if we looked at a cardinal direction, you would have 5 directions to go. north, northeast, east, southeast, and south. you can't go the other three due to the limit. in other words, any bases near you have a better chance to be found because of this. if we didn't have a limit, we would have 8 directions, and we would have no enclosed area where people have to be. people would be harder to find because we wouldn't have much a clue onto where they are. In other words, the limit (and I understand it was designed to do this) actually encloses us two main ways. we can't go 5k from spawn, and we have a better chance of being discover because we're in an enclosed area. I know some people may like this, and I understand why they would, but isn't the thrill of pvp finding someone when you DIDN'T expect to find anyone? I'm not much a pvp person, but nothing makes me more happy then finding an old base. hell, it may be occupied!

2. The limit has changed pvp, but not in the best of ways. The thing is, I've noticed when I stayed here a month ago that pvp, at least to me, seemed to increase in size, yet lower in quality. Let me explain, and before anyone argues, this is pvp in the general form. I'm sure there are exceptions. I've noticed most pvp comes from someone in diamond/iron armor roaming around spawn looking for scraps getting attacked by spawn rats. Spawn rats are sadly not the type to go out and actually make a good fight. They don't even drop anything. And they just punch you and call you a faggot spawnkiller. I understand that this isn't the total of fights. I'll be generous and say this is roughly 75% of them. the other 25% can be someone actually finding someone well off (like youngs pointed out in his story), an event (which I'd say is exempt from saying "pvp has increased because of limit", as we don't need a limit in order to do this), and a set fight (which is sort of on the fence of "pvp increased because of limit", as more people are at spawn to do this, but those who do it would probably do it without a limit). Obviously the majority of the pvp isn't really sport, and even without the limit, I don't think the spawn rats would go away. That said, I'm sure the limit is exacerbating the issue.

3. The limit isn't on par with the "vanilla doctrine". Ok, stop. Right now. I know what you're going to say. "The server isn't vanilla, it's psuedo-vanilla." I know, I get it, the server is having an identity crisis. And the limit was really the mask for the server to wear. Realize this is less a "con" of the limit and more a personal opinion I have. Let me make this clear, this isn't my server, this isn't your server, this is yukar's server. in other words, whatever server he wants it to be, it will be. So he decided majority rule (read as slight majority rule). As I said before, the limit brought up a topic that we didn't want to bring up because it would literally tear the server apart. Let me explain. Again.

When I came to simplicity, it was what I would classify as a survival-vanilla-anarchy server. Survival meant we faced mobs at night, and had to get our own shit. Vanilla meant we would refrain from using mods that interfered with gameplay, and try to stick with what the game started out with. Anarchy meant that killing, stealing, and being an utter asshole was allowed, and admins were only used for police against hackers and other ne'er'do-wells. I love these kinds of server, mainly for their unpredictability. I love looking at the cultures people make with clans and town. I love the politics and the voracity of wars between groups. I love the ever present danger from the most unpredictable thing imaginable, MAN. I don't use it as my "personal singleplayer". (Although, I will admit, I do like putting time in my creations. That said, I prefer to be a more "noble" force. I found empires, I don't destroy them) I don't choose to use this as my creative map. I don't choose to stay here because I love reading what the trolls say (though they make it SO tempting). I DO (or, rather, did) play here because I felt that this server did something NO PLUG-IN could do, which was seem ALIVE. And to me, the limit was entirely AGAINST that. I know, if a server is at the brink of death (which I honestly didn't think it was, but apparently "I don't pvp, so I wouldn't understand"), we should tighten our belts, swallow our pride, and do things that we wouldn't normally do to get more people. But to me, the limit was too much. It was beyond too much. It changed the server into something unrecognizable. Actually, it WAS recognizable, but I saw it somewhere else.

Let me Explain (that seems to be my catch phrase...), I played on ANOTHER survival-vanilla-anarchy server prior to this one, and it did something similar. Certain pvp-centric players told the admin that the server was starting to become boring and dull, so we did something to add pvp. We added factions. I stayed, despite my hatred toward the mod, as I had many friends there. We had a vote (two weeks after the mod was already installed) and we won, or rather, didnt. The vote was clear, 24 against, 16 for. However, we had many false votes. One of the pro-factions players talked to the admin, who decided to keep the mod. I later found out he bribed him. And he did so plenty more times. A few bedrock bases. a few admin commands such as teleporting to someone. ADMINSHIP. I know this doesn't involve this server, but I want to make it clear that this topic scratches at old wounds for me. I loved this server. And I still wish to love it. I don't want it to go the same route as that server. I know it won't, or at least not entirely, as there are a few variables that are different. We have a good admin, unlike the one who listened to money rather then wisdom. We have a slightly better community (I'll be honest, reading this forum makes me remember the last thread for this. This is a disgrace, everyone who isn't already acting like adults, please do.). And we didn't add factions, but rather the next worst thing.

Anyhow, I hope that cleared a few things up, and realize this is more me putting my thoughts down and less coming up with arguments against the limit. I'll do so later, but in order to understand the topic at hand, we need to understand less what positions we hold, and more why we hold them. I'll admit the limit is something I'm more emotionally against then logically against. I know why it's there, I understand we voted it in (even though I voted against it, I realize this), and I know that it most likely will not be going anywhere. Especially with the topic being jackknifed by raw emotion and arrogance. I hope we can have a nice adult conversation with this, as this is a VERY serious issue, and not everyone will be happy with the decision we eventually make. Especially since we have the limit, and people will want it back now that they got a taste of it. Good night. And may Notch have mercy on our souls
This entire thing in a nutshell.
mitte90
OP

Post by mitte90 »

why are removing beds a joke? they are not that usefull atleast inside the 5k limit:P and a good solution to our "problem" but i do realise its never gona happen :P
TLRedemption
Noob

Post by TLRedemption »

Well said world.
Bloop the poop
Moron

Post by Bloop the poop »

Yeah, beds would be horrible not to have. It saves the days of journeying to get back to most of our bases. Also, @World I don't think our server will ever add factions...or I hope not.
worldruler086

Post by worldruler086 »

@bloop I never said it would, I merely said I was on another server like this one and it added a plugin that was toxic to the "vanilla doctrine".

@lonesoldier Glad you liked the post, as well as everyone else who bothered to read it. Way I see it, unless we have someone post EVERYTHING they agree or disagree with, we'll be stuck with people not letting the other side say what they have to say. also, I was hoping someone wouldn't quote the entire damned thing, but whatever. Now it's visible on two pages, I guess...
YoungsMC
in diamond armor

Post by YoungsMC »

@mitte90
I don't understand how that can disprove the argument that PvP has increased.
If Xestia says that he's had many random encounters after the limit, then perhaps you could show that it's insignificant if you'd had the same amount of fights of Xestia.
What Xestia and pianiseemo are saying is that there's been a contrast in the amount of random encounters they've seen before and after the limit.
worldruler086 wrote:
1. The limit DOES in fact limit what we can or cannot do. most of which it does so indirectly. We all know how server mechanics work, particularly with a pvp server such as this one. People who make houses on the surface and trust people too openly tend to get weeded out. especially if the limit is here. So let's say you're a new person. you go roaming around spawn, see a few crater houses, and you decide to group up with someone. because the limit is at 5k, you reach the base in a 3 day trip, and are greeted by a small room in the bowels of the Cubeworld. You prefer to make surface forts, something on par with a castle, and you know that even though making a surface structure is probably not the best idea, you know that if it's a good distance away, you'll be fine for a few weeks. maybe even a month, if you are secretive. Sadly, the limit prevents you from going a good distance away, and the limit would actually make it EASIER to find said castle. let me explain.

Imagine you're on a scouting mission, heading due west until you're close to the limit. now if we looked at a cardinal direction, you would have 5 directions to go. north, northeast, east, southeast, and south. you can't go the other three due to the limit. in other words, any bases near you have a better chance to be found because of this. if we didn't have a limit, we would have 8 directions, and we would have no enclosed area where people have to be. people would be harder to find because we wouldn't have much a clue onto where they are. In other words, the limit (and I understand it was designed to do this) actually encloses us two main ways. we can't go 5k from spawn, and we have a better chance of being discover because we're in an enclosed area. I know some people may like this, and I understand why they would, but isn't the thrill of pvp finding someone when you DIDN'T expect to find anyone? I'm not much a pvp person, but nothing makes me more happy then finding an old base. hell, it may be occupied!
The limit was set at 5k because we knew it would have to be either bigger or smaller at one point. Yes, we have a better chance of finding someone when we're in the world boundary. Some people do like it that way. If your chances were 0 you're playing SP. I don't expect to find someone out 5k, but if there wasn't a world boundary I'd expect not to find someone.
worldruler086 wrote: 2. The limit has changed pvp, but not in the best of ways. The thing is, I've noticed when I stayed here a month ago that pvp, at least to me, seemed to increase in size, yet lower in quality. Let me explain, and before anyone argues, this is pvp in the general form. I'm sure there are exceptions. I've noticed most pvp comes from someone in diamond/iron armor roaming around spawn looking for scraps getting attacked by spawn rats. Spawn rats are sadly not the type to go out and actually make a good fight. They don't even drop anything. And they just punch you and call you a faggot spawnkiller. I understand that this isn't the total of fights. I'll be generous and say this is roughly 75% of them. the other 25% can be someone actually finding someone well off (like youngs pointed out in his story), an event (which I'd say is exempt from saying "pvp has increased because of limit", as we don't need a limit in order to do this), and a set fight (which is sort of on the fence of "pvp increased because of limit", as more people are at spawn to do this, but those who do it would probably do it without a limit). Obviously the majority of the pvp isn't really sport, and even without the limit, I don't think the spawn rats would go away. That said, I'm sure the limit is exacerbating the issue.
I don't get it. Where's the part about PvP being worse? So far CTS has created one fight. I like events but like Xestia said, it's not an alternative that will work just as well as the map limit.
worldruler086 wrote:
3. The limit isn't on par with the "vanilla doctrine". Ok, stop. Right now. I know what you're going to say. "The server isn't vanilla, it's psuedo-vanilla." I know, I get it, the server is having an identity crisis. And the limit was really the mask for the server to wear. Realize this is less a "con" of the limit and more a personal opinion I have. Let me make this clear, this isn't my server, this isn't your server, this is yukar's server. in other words, whatever server he wants it to be, it will be. So he decided majority rule (read as slight majority rule). As I said before, the limit brought up a topic that we didn't want to bring up because it would literally tear the server apart. Let me explain. Again.

When I came to simplicity, it was what I would classify as a survival-vanilla-anarchy server. Survival meant we faced mobs at night, and had to get our own shit. Vanilla meant we would refrain from using mods that interfered with gameplay, and try to stick with what the game started out with. Anarchy meant that killing, stealing, and being an utter asshole was allowed, and admins were only used for police against hackers and other ne'er'do-wells. I love these kinds of server, mainly for their unpredictability. I love looking at the cultures people make with clans and town. I love the politics and the voracity of wars between groups. I love the ever present danger from the most unpredictable thing imaginable, MAN. I don't use it as my "personal singleplayer". (Although, I will admit, I do like putting time in my creations. That said, I prefer to be a more "noble" force. I found empires, I don't destroy them) I don't choose to use this as my creative map. I don't choose to stay here because I love reading what the trolls say (though they make it SO tempting). I DO (or, rather, did) play here because I felt that this server did something NO PLUG-IN could do, which was seem ALIVE. And to me, the limit was entirely AGAINST that. I know, if a server is at the brink of death (which I honestly didn't think it was, but apparently "I don't pvp, so I wouldn't understand"), we should tighten our belts, swallow our pride, and do things that we wouldn't normally do to get more people. But to me, the limit was too much. It was beyond too much. It changed the server into something unrecognizable. Actually, it WAS recognizable, but I saw it somewhere else.

Let me Explain (that seems to be my catch phrase...), I played on ANOTHER survival-vanilla-anarchy server prior to this one, and it did something similar. Certain pvp-centric players told the admin that the server was starting to become boring and dull, so we did something to add pvp. We added factions. I stayed, despite my hatred toward the mod, as I had many friends there. We had a vote (two weeks after the mod was already installed) and we won, or rather, didnt. The vote was clear, 24 against, 16 for. However, we had many false votes. One of the pro-factions players talked to the admin, who decided to keep the mod. I later found out he bribed him. And he did so plenty more times. A few bedrock bases. a few admin commands such as teleporting to someone. ADMINSHIP. I know this doesn't involve this server, but I want to make it clear that this topic scratches at old wounds for me. I loved this server. And I still wish to love it. I don't want it to go the same route as that server. I know it won't, or at least not entirely, as there are a few variables that are different. We have a good admin, unlike the one who listened to money rather then wisdom. We have a slightly better community (I'll be honest, reading this forum makes me remember the last thread for this. This is a disgrace, everyone who isn't already acting like adults, please do.). And we didn't add factions, but rather the next worst thing.
The server's PvP was extinct. We've already tried and are still doing advertising. I've been voting daily on the server lists, created a banner, etc. I'd be willing to settle for an alternative that creates just as much PvP as the limit does, but I'm not going to change my vote and hope that advertising will keep PvP running. If a new regular can go out far enough to build a castle then that new regular hasn't created as much PvP as he/she could have. Advertising might help, but advertising in combination with the map limit has created enough PvP for an enjoyable anarchy server.

Are some of us still trying to say that the limit hasn't created more PvP?
Population Density for a 10k*10k map > Population Density for a 100k*100k map