map limit

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started

Add a 5k world boundary?

Poll ended at Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:01 pm

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes: 52

SolFuji
in iron armor

Re: map limit

Post by SolFuji »

Xestia wrote:People closer to spawn would be more inclined to pvp as this is simply more convenient.

Some would be that stupid, no surprise as it's been stated a lot of times here that there's a lot of activity that far out. Some go there in rage after having a base close to spawn be raided. Some go there because they want to play singleplayer with a chat.
Will those people still play on this server if they are forced to risk more pvp than they want?
Xestia
OP

Post by Xestia »

Well some of the people who want singleplayer with chat would leave, some would move closer to spawn but still make a hidden base and never go out, and a few would try their luck doing pvp.
SolFuji
in iron armor

Post by SolFuji »

And you think driving those longterm-players away for the revenue of a few players possibly doing pvp is it worth it?
How many new pvp-player could you have recruted to the benefit of this server if you had invested your efforts to get a maplimit here into recruting instead?
SolFuji
in iron armor

Post by SolFuji »

PS: As nether has become more important for ressources in 1.0 - thus increasing pvp right now - and would be very very small in a 5k-limited world, I think a limit would not only harm the server, it would destroy the game now.
Xestia
OP

Post by Xestia »

'A few players possibly doing pvp' really isn't accurate. Secondly asocial people using this server as nothing more than a dropbox for their own singleplayer shouldn't be driven away, they should be permabanned.

The answer to that question is: None. It would be like asking 'How many new pvp-player could you have recruted to the benefit of this server if you had invested your efforts to get a maplimit here into recruting instead?' on a server where pvp is not allowed. No matter how many people you recruit, if the server rules and settings aren't set for pvp then you won't get any pvp.

For the nether: It would be a 625^2 area, that's hardly 'very very small'. Admitted I haven't discovered every feature in 1.0 yet, but as it seems to me the only necessary nether-only item is the nether wart, which you can grow, meaning a map limit would have no effect on the ability to get nether warts, it would only increase demand in them.
worldruler086
hated the previously assigned rank

Post by worldruler086 »

Xestia wrote:'A few players possibly doing pvp' really isn't accurate. Secondly asocial people using this server as nothing more than a dropbox for their own singleplayer shouldn't be driven away, they should be permabanned.

The answer to that question is: None. It would be like asking 'How many new pvp-player could you have recruted to the benefit of this server if you had invested your efforts to get a maplimit here into recruting instead?' on a server where pvp is not allowed. No matter how many people you recruit, if the server rules and settings aren't set for pvp then you won't get any pvp.

For the nether: It would be a 625^2 area, that's hardly 'very very small'. Admitted I haven't discovered every feature in 1.0 yet, but as it seems to me the only necessary nether-only item is the nether wart, which you can grow, meaning a map limit would have no effect on the ability to get nether warts, it would only increase demand in them.
wait, so if people don't pvp on this serer, they'll get permabanned? Alright, I'll be sure to tell all my friends not to go here. And I had a similar issue with asking whether a server should listen to the old dogs or the newer members. which is better? well, neither actually. But do you wish for popularity or fame? believe me, I'd rather have quality over quantity. And you seem to think that if we don't have a limit, we suddenly become a creative server. I used to be on a server that had no limit, made a base at 50k 30k, and it got tnted to shit. now, I'll admit, we did have gates, but we still had to go out that far. I like(d) this server for the fact that there was an OPTION to not pvp. The only reason I'm so far out is because I was helping someone who was 25k out, and I wanted to be wary on how the server ran. Based on what I've seen, I may just stay out that far to protest against such a limit. I don't pvp because it really goes to who has the best connection. I have a shitty laptop, so I use minecraft as a building game instead. However, I enjoy having a server that allows pvp as it feels very visceral and, quite literally, realistic. I've founded empires without a single person killed, I've changed the history of a server with large alliances, and I've defeated groups without even attacking someone. Not everyone pvps, but not everyone who DOESN'T pvp do it because they don't like to kill. I've defended myself. I just don't hunt. /rant
Xestia
OP

Post by Xestia »

It seems you didn't read my post, let me re-post exactly what I said to clear any confusion
Secondly asocial people using this server as nothing more than a dropbox for their own singleplayer shouldn't be driven away, they should be permabanned.
Please point out to me the part where I say people who don't pvp should be permabanned. I've read it a couple times myself now, I can't even seem to find 'pvp' in it.
worldruler086
hated the previously assigned rank

Post by worldruler086 »

Xestia wrote:It seems you didn't read my post, let me re-post exactly what I said to clear any confusion
Secondly asocial people using this server as nothing more than a dropbox for their own singleplayer shouldn't be driven away, they should be permabanned.
Please point out to me the part where I say people who don't pvp should be permabanned. I've read it a couple times myself now, I can't even seem to find 'pvp' in it.
Yeah, I'd like to apologize, jumped the gun a bit. I assumed something that wasn't what was presented.
Xestia
OP

Post by Xestia »

Thank you, apology accepted.
Cain27
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

Post by Cain27 »

Most permanent bases are about 5k out, I know so myself, as I, Tyman, Onlyhimself, and a few others would be quite annoyed if our bases (which are just a few hundred blocks off the predetermined border), we would suddenly have no access to them. And I understand your valid point of the amount of PVP being increased, but consider this; If you trap a whole pack of vicious dogs in a box with rations, they're eventually going to kill eachother, their rations, in this analogy being trees, ores, and space, will all be depleted in a short while.