Starter kit

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started
waronchickens97
in diamond armor

Re: Starter kit

Post by waronchickens97 »

Imho, spawn atm is almost too easy. Even without tools you can kill mobs with ease in water and get good food supplies and even enough string for a bed and fishing rod. Wood still remains within 1k of spawn, easily reachable with the rotten flesh you can accumulate. I think that there is no need to plant trees or anything else to help the newbs, spawn has always been a challenge that any semi competent player can overcome and should be kept as such.
worldruler086
hated the previously assigned rank

Post by worldruler086 »

yeah, food is the hardest thing to get, not wood. For some odd reason, animals don't spawn on the grass around 300m from spawn, which is odd, since the animals are kind of needed for a good supply of food.
waronchickens97
in diamond armor

As of recent updates, friendly mobs spawn with chunk generation. When they're gone, they're gone. Two words- fishing pole. Infinite food.
RevStoningpot
Moron
Location: first star to the right and straight on till morning

Post by RevStoningpot »

that's 4
SolFuji
in iron armor

Post by SolFuji »

I was thinking about the starter kit thing for a while.

The case is, this is not a server for people looking for an easy game, but for competent players. And it is true, spawn has always been a challenge for new people.

But on the other hand it is a fact, that this place is becoming more and more challenging. In the first days, people just could hunt for animals direct at spawn - most of them additionally had their stuff form before the reset anywhere - but then animals started to disappear as trees and even grass. Some time ago, you still could just walk in one direction and find food and trees long time before hunger got a problem. Today, you can't. You have to fight for your food now without weapons.

Yes, it is possible, but the level of challenge is increasing every day. I thing it's a point of fairness for new people and more important, a way to tell them "This world is challenging, but these things are everything you'll need to survive for yourself. Go!" instead of "This is wasteland. Survive or leave!"

I'm not sure if it is a good idea to reset a part of the map from time to time. Resetting from time to time will make the place,... I don't know... I just don't like the idea...
But giving people some kind of starter kit will be good.

No food, just something to "create" food. At least one sampling should be there, because trees will go further away in the future. So some bonemeal and one sampling should be enough.
Last edited by SolFuji on Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waronchickens97
in diamond armor

The fact that you mentioned a map reset means everything you said becomes invalid.
SolFuji
in iron armor

Post by SolFuji »

Whatever... Do you have anything useful to say or any reasonable arguments, too? ...or just ... that?
waronchickens97
in diamond armor

Leaving spawn Is easy atm, and we don't need to sacrifice what's left of our vanilla aesthetic to appease all the noobs who are just to retarded to get out.
Gnatogryz
hated the previously assigned rank

Post by Gnatogryz »

Directly giving free stuff kinda conflicts with the simplicity philisophy in my opinion. Maybe just make a hidden chicken spawner in the spawn town (place it in a way that would limit its efficiency to like 10%)?
waronchickens97
in diamond armor

NO. NO HELP FOR NOOBS.