This is for the Staff

General simplicitypvp.net related topics
worldruler086
hated the previously assigned rank

Re: This is for the Staff

Post by worldruler086 »

I doubt you could abuse cobble generators. The main reason cobble generators are used isn't because cobble is hard to get, but mining a lot of cobble leaves a lot of ugly holes, which cobble generators don't do. While the obby generator abuses a glitch, the cobble generator abuses a feature (that flowing lava and flowing water make cobble). It's no more an abusement than a mob trap. If the obby generator made something that was actually a big thing to make endlessly (like diamonds, or iron), it'd be a problem. I'd say the iron golem farms are more a "unhappy medium" between the two, as how you spawn iron golems is much more complicated than "make an area dark enough to spawn mobs", and is more "cheating the system" into thinking it should spawn iron golems. However, cracking down on it would be very difficult, and given how complicated it is, it'd be a small minority of players who know how to make one, let alone actually make one.
MisterStrawman
Donator

Post by MisterStrawman »

I'm not in favor of a long list of rules, my post might have come off that way. I guess I just don't consider some of things to be unfair or bothersome, it's all stuff anyone can do, regardless of how complicated it is, and I tend to think the more useful it is, the better. I also think discovering these sorts of things, and how to most effectively use them is a very large part of what makes Minecraft so fun. I can't really see myself banning for something other than x raying or duplicating when it comes to glitches, in my eyes, a lot of that stuff, iron farms, gold farms, etc, just adds to the game. They take a lot of work to make, and are thus very rewarding. My own standard for banning, I suppose, would be glitches that "break" the game, if that makes sense.

So it's not the gray areas I disagree with, so much as it is the whole "If uncertain, assume it is forbidden" thing. I don't think there's anything wrong with players who are patient enough to look up/discover/build things like this to be able to reap the rewards, as that's really how everything else works in this game. The more you're able to do, the more fun the game is, and as such, we should try to allow as many things as possible. I've always thought of this server to be one that takes on that sort of philosophy. All in all, I just think we should raise the standard on what we're calling a glitch, and what we're allowing. This is the only server I've been on where the legitimacy of obsidian generators was even in question.
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

worldruler086 wrote:I doubt you could abuse cobble generators. The main reason cobble generators are used isn't because cobble is hard to get, but mining a lot of cobble leaves a lot of ugly holes, which cobble generators don't do. While the obby generator abuses a glitch, the cobble generator abuses a feature (that flowing lava and flowing water make cobble). It's no more an abusement than a mob trap. If the obby generator made something that was actually a big thing to make endlessly (like diamonds, or iron), it'd be a problem. I'd say the iron golem farms are more a "unhappy medium" between the two, as how you spawn iron golems is much more complicated than "make an area dark enough to spawn mobs", and is more "cheating the system" into thinking it should spawn iron golems. However, cracking down on it would be very difficult, and given how complicated it is, it'd be a small minority of players who know how to make one, let alone actually make one.
To compact world's point to something non-paragraph worthy, here is my stance.

Cobblestone generators make use of a well known and impletemented function of the game, the fact that water over flowing lava creates a cobblestone entity.
Obsidian generators work on the principal of something that wasn't intended to happen, such as that redstone somehow makes obsidian, which realisticly and game-wise does not make sense.

Therefore, because Obsidian Generators weren't intended to be created, they should not be allowed.
worldruler086

Post by worldruler086 »

LoneSoldier55 wrote:
worldruler086 wrote:I doubt you could abuse cobble generators. The main reason cobble generators are used isn't because cobble is hard to get, but mining a lot of cobble leaves a lot of ugly holes, which cobble generators don't do. While the obby generator abuses a glitch, the cobble generator abuses a feature (that flowing lava and flowing water make cobble). It's no more an abusement than a mob trap. If the obby generator made something that was actually a big thing to make endlessly (like diamonds, or iron), it'd be a problem. I'd say the iron golem farms are more a "unhappy medium" between the two, as how you spawn iron golems is much more complicated than "make an area dark enough to spawn mobs", and is more "cheating the system" into thinking it should spawn iron golems. However, cracking down on it would be very difficult, and given how complicated it is, it'd be a small minority of players who know how to make one, let alone actually make one.
To compact world's point to something non-paragraph worthy, here is my stance.

Cobblestone generators make use of a well known and impletemented function of the game, the fact that water over flowing lava creates a cobblestone entity.
Obsidian generators work on the principal of something that wasn't intended to happen, such as that redstone somehow makes obsidian, which realisticly and game-wise does not make sense.

Therefore, because Obsidian Generators weren't intended to be created, they should not be allowed.
You partially missed my point. My point with the Obby generators was that, A) They use glitches, not features, thus B) whether they are allowed depends on the worth of obsidian, which isn't much due to obby being used more for defenses and enchantment tables. Since they aren't of much advantage, whether they are allowed or not depends more on what the mods think. I don't really give a shit, since Obby isn't a big thing if it were abused.
KennyKatsu

Post by KennyKatsu »

I say that the obby generators don't give you an unfair advantage, anyone can use it and obsidian has less uses than cobblestone.
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

Uses of Cobblestone: Building, Minimal Crafting

Uses of Obsidian: Defensive Building, TNT cannons, Enchantment Tables, Nether Portals, Area Denial

No, you're wrong again. Obsidian Generators abuse a mechanic that was never meant to be implemented, they should not be used.
KennyKatsu

Post by KennyKatsu »

So if I use string and make obsidian will I get banned?
RevStoningpot
Moron
Location: first star to the right and straight on till morning

Post by RevStoningpot »

what is an area denial? I never built one of those
MisterStrawman
Donator

Post by MisterStrawman »

LoneSoldier55 wrote:Uses of Cobblestone: Building, Minimal Crafting

Uses of Obsidian: Defensive Building, TNT cannons, Enchantment Tables, Nether Portals, Area Denial

No, you're wrong again. Obsidian Generators abuse a mechanic that was never meant to be implemented, they should not be used.
You missed a couple uses for cobblestone.
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

KennyKatsu wrote:So if I use string and make obsidian will I get banned?
Was string meant to be turned into obsidian? No, get banned.