map limit

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started

Add a 5k world boundary?

Poll ended at Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:01 pm

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes: 52

EggThief
in iron armor

Re: +/- 5k Map Limit

Post by EggThief »

I'm all for it, I'd like to be able to find more people instead of broadcasting my own coordinates. Plus the reduced lag would be phenominal and make fighting all the better.
EliteChowder
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

Post by EliteChowder »

This is Kilvian IGN voting 4 5k map limit.

See Ya,
Kilvian
lavadude42
[rawr]

Post by lavadude42 »

It's lavadude42 voting in favor of the map limit
pianiseemo
OP

Post by pianiseemo »

This is pianiseemo voting in favor of the map limit (haha, if it wasn't obvious already)
Kienanners
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

Post by Kienanners »

i am in favor of this map imit
Xestia
OP

Post by Xestia »

I like the idea (although I think if we're going to add a limit, make it more like 3k rather than 5k, at 5k people can still hide easily).

I just have one question, how do you plan to implement this? Forcing everybody more than 5k from spawn (95% of everybody) is gonna cause a shitload of ragequits and people pissed over having to move.
trouble_354
[rawr]

Post by trouble_354 »

I'm in favour of a smaller map limit.

I have a giant floating castle within 2k of spawn I made it about a week after the map was reset, its been discovered by random wanders only twice since its been up (its still standing today)

also the limit would be easy to implement - reset map, build a bedrock wall around the boarders.
ccrh
[rawr]

Post by ccrh »

personally, i am all for a limit but i would rather have a 10k limit
i live at 6k and love the peace and quiet but i am only living here as a safety precaution. i would rather not log in one day and see that my base had been burned, tnt'd and lava'd, but i understand that this is pvp. does that mean everyone is required to pvp? i hope not =/ but if it does then you can find me be preparing for battle in my little island fortress =p

oh and i would be more inclined to join/start a clan if the faction plugin was installed, i just dont like telling someone where i am and then expecting them to share my stuff nicely and then they could potentially steal all my stuff, nuke my base and run off laughing. but i understand that this is pseudo vanilla and that the server will probably not use factions, but if it did i would be more inclined to pvp and join/start a clan =D

oh and you wouldnt have to build a bedrock wall, that would prolly crash the server, just get borderguard
Xestia
OP

Post by Xestia »

IMO ccrh the fun of this is not knowing when one of your allies will betray you. I think it's fun and it gives a major drawback to people who want to make a big clan. But some sort of private group chat ingame would be pretty awesome (limited to invite only ofcourse, so the enemy doesn't hear your plans).

10k is so far that people can still easily hide and never come out. I think 3k is perfect, at 2.5k you're safe but still close enough to make it worthwhile to go to spawn.

trouble, how do you plan on getting the map reset?
pianiseemo
OP

Post by pianiseemo »

Xestia wrote:I like the idea (although I think if we're going to add a limit, make it more like 3k rather than 5k, at 5k people can still hide easily).

I just have one question, how do you plan to implement this? Forcing everybody more than 5k from spawn (95% of everybody) is gonna cause a shitload of ragequits and people pissed over having to move.
First off, thanks to everyone for their inputs! I really do appreciate it.

Xestia, I was originally going for +/- 3k, however, it's simply not going to get passed. Many people are concerned that even +/- 5k is too small, so we'll have to compromise.

It's definitely going to be annoying for people who are currently far out from spawn to move. My plan for implementation is that we give them a 1 week period to move to within the +/- 5k limit. Their structures would be copied over to a location that they walk to and choose, if they want.

Don't worry about tons of players leaving the server. I've asked around a lot and the vast majority of the server is in favor of the map limit, the ragequitters really will be a minority. I think we'll have to be more worried about people getting bored and leaving though...