Old Spawn Topics

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started
Xestia
OP

Re: Spawn protection

Post by Xestia »

Versus me, with me having a completely empty inventory. Like I said, I guarantee I'll get away on my first try.
Xestia
OP

Post by Xestia »

I'm not sure you understand where my suggestion to revert back to the old spawn protection stems from: me getting backstabbed whilst trying to trade.
And a trade post would fix this how? You would be protected during the trade, sure, but if somebody is going to backstab you, doing it after the trade is just as good as doing it during the trade.
CaptainKirov
OP

Post by CaptainKirov »

The thing is, trades aren't supposed to be safe. Remember that this is still a vanilla server where people are supposed to be backstabbing eachother.

When I was a newbie at this server, I was doing some trading myself. I arranged a meet with someone to trade some brick blocks. When I arrived at the meeting point, there was a guy on a dirt pillar with three creepers beneath it. I decided to kill the creepers so he could come down. Then the guy I was supposed to be trading with arrived.

I said: "Here is the stuff" and dropped some ingots I would pay for the bricks. But the other guy didn't drop anything so I asked if he didn't have the stuff. I already started smelling that something was wrong here, so I drew my diamond sword. I purposedly didn't take any armor or arrows with me, just a sword and some food. Then he said "sorry I don't have it", and the guy I saved from the creepers AND the guy I was trading with started attacking me at the exact same time. I stood no chance. It was 2v1, I was surprised and they both had swords. Turns out I was set up, and very smartly. When I was dead I wasn't mad, because I could ony blame myself for my mistake and I could miss what I lost. I just congratulated them with their new items.

This is the beauty of pvp and survival, and the social engineering that comes with it. The two players that double crossed me were new to the server. I think it's a bad idea to take opportunities like this away from the new players. This server is about the strong being strong, and the weak being weak, but remember that once we were all weak. We should grant new people the opportunity to grow stronger, imho.

If you want to trade, there is the netherside of the spawn to do it. If you don't like that location, fine, but just deal with it. If you don't like it, go back to freebuild or Single Player. I am going to say it again: players are supposed to be backstabbing eachother. The reason the spawn protection was removed is because we want to resemble a vanilla minecraft experience. At spawn players weren't playing Minecraft, but something like "The Sims 2".
Xestia
OP

Post by Xestia »

I agree, the spawn protection is there to prevent people from spawnkilling, and to give new players a chance. Not to let people sit around and chitchat, do trades, or form groups.
Blazyd
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

Post by Blazyd »

It still get's extremely annoying when all people do is just kill each other at spawn instead of wandering outside of spawn and doing things. If you go to the spawn with any items, you are automatically a target to everyone and everyone just teams up on you and kills you. It is a pvp server but the spawn needs to be protected like the old spawn.
leofanx
still building aboveground

Post by leofanx »

And a trade post would fix this how? You would be protected during the trade, sure, but if somebody is going to backstab you, doing it after the trade is just as good as doing it during the trade.
Exactly my dear friend! That's what I'm looking for.

To answer the rest of your question: More often than not a player will get bored with you if there's no interaction and will leave you alone and/or will bother someone else. Another thing you can do is disconnect for a few minutes and wait till it's safe to leave.
if somebody is going to backstab you, doing it after the trade is just as good as doing it during the trade.
This same concept applied to the old spawn: sure you were safe in the spawn, but as soon as you stepped out onto those bridges, you were fair game. However, at least you were guaranteed a safe trade (Therein lies the difference). After that, it was up to you to find a way to not get backstabbed and go back to your base safely, which is why I don't think it *really* goes against the vanilla mind-set.

I think I found the happy middle I was seeking though, this "trading post" idea already exists, thank you Captain Kirov for poiting it out; I'll simply use the Nether since that's partially protected, which is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for your inputs/opinions everyone, happy mining :)
If you don't like it, go back to freebuild or Single Player.
Or people can take your sound advice and simply go to the Nether :) - an overall more friendly suggestion, with better results for both the players and the server. :)
Last edited by leofanx on Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainKirov
OP

Post by CaptainKirov »

Blazyd wrote:It still get's extremely annoying when all people do is just kill each other at spawn instead of wandering outside of spawn and doing things. If you go to the spawn with any items, you are automatically a target to everyone and everyone just teams up on you and kills you. It is a pvp server but the spawn needs to be protected like the old spawn.
Then don't go to the spawn.

Oh and just a warning, the new nether will not have a protected area, so enjoy it while it lasts.
sliderride
[rawr]

Post by sliderride »

I liked the old spawn much more.

Now I can not access the craft box nor read the signs-examples of chest hidding or watch jail without danger of being attacked. I miss that.

Also I miss possibility to attack people leaving spawn but that is not improved too well now either.
RevStoningpot
Moron
Location: first star to the right and straight on till morning

Post by RevStoningpot »

BOOOOOOOO This server isn't supposed to be Gay Kid Coffee Club If you don't like getting killed at spawn they run away from spawn. And set up trade on your own grounds in a secluded location agreed on with /tell.
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

Doubt we'll reach a consensus, so I'm just gonna start a vote.