map limit

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started

Add a 5k world boundary?

Poll ended at Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:01 pm

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes: 52

Ellidon
still building aboveground

Re: map limit

Post by Ellidon »

By the way, what do you want out of PvP, Xestia. I ask, because PvP seems like it hasn't really been defined.
Xestia
OP

Post by Xestia »

I define pvp very loosely: combat.

That is any competition between several players, from somebody backstabbing somebody during a trade to full out clan war. Just quite simply any combat between two or more players.
Ellidon

Post by Ellidon »

Then, I would like to point out that quite a bit of that happens around spawn on a daily basis.
Xestia
OP

Post by Xestia »

A bit does happen, but mostly among unarmed people. That is of course pvp, but not particularly fun pvp.
Xestia
OP

Post by Xestia »

oh and /sethome
RevStoningpot
Moron
Location: first star to the right and straight on till morning

Post by RevStoningpot »

Okay I think i may have to step out of charecter here and explain myself. This is a video game. You are all nothing more to me than video game charecters. And i would expect to be nothing more than that to any of you. I'm not angry about any thing. I do my best to conduct my self as a chaotic neutral type anarchist. So get some shit through your fucking cock-brained heads. You want fighting make some fucking enemies. When a piss ant little noob asks where the trees are don't say "there just a couple hundred out' say "up your fucking ass noob get the fuck out of here and go play a pussie ass free build server" And as for you people saying i need to conduct myself better. You can look back and see i've had my moments of niceness and for a while i was the only one making an argument for the no limit side. now that more are speaking up i'm just going back to having some fun. In summery The good Reverend Stoningpot loves all the humans of the world even if they play annoying game charecters. But RevStoningpot the minecraft charecter wants you all to choke on a giant chode and dying writhing in agony.
Ellidon

Post by Ellidon »

I see, well in that case I think the main issue you have is that some people on this server find PvP to be somewhat, and I believe this was previously touched apon, frivolous. It can see like a waste of hard earned diamond to kill a player that you just meet on the road, so to speak. Now I'm not saying that this is always the case, sometimes you will stumble apon a player with diamond or a rather wealthy base, and in those cases it is profitable to kill, steal, or grief away, but I don't see limiting the space you can move in helping you with that. More so, I see there just being an increased amount of frustrated players and abandoned mine. To combat the this PvP problem I suggest that there be sponsored, I'm looking at you Yukar, mock wars where people fight for large sums of wealth, the definition of which would have to be decided apon by the community.

By the by, I'm not talking about events. Thoughts?
Ellidon

Post by Ellidon »

RevStoningpot wrote: In summery The good Reverend Stoningpot loves all the humans of the world even if they play annoying game charecters. But RevStoningpot the minecraft charecter wants you all to choke on a giant chode and dying writhing in agony.
Ha, I can appreciate that. Though I don't think a forum discussing the future of the server is a good place for role playing.
SolFuji
in iron armor

Post by SolFuji »

Xestia wrote:I define pvp very loosely: combat.

That is any competition between several players, from somebody backstabbing somebody during a trade to full out clan war. Just quite simply any combat between two or more players.
Xestia wrote:A bit does happen, but mostly among unarmed people. That is of course pvp, but not particularly fun pvp.
I do not define pvp as combat. I define pvp as competition between players. Combat can be one of them, but not in Minecraft, because the game ist not designed for constant combat between players. As allready said, it takes time to prepare for a fight. You need at least a good weapon and armor. If you want to be good, it should be diamond, and this takes time. As of 1.0 you will also be able to use potions and enchanting. Especially enchanting takes very much time. And if you loose the fight, you loose everything. You do not restart with your equipment like in other games, but with nothing. And then there is the fact, that you can still loose to some poor equiped people with iron weapons and nothing else. I would not risk a fight just for fun. This is why there are so many unarmed fights. And when there are some armed people arround spawm, new players will not be happy to have found a place to do combat-pvp, they will leave, because the have no chance. In Minecraft everything takes its time. And the more time it takes the less likely they are to risk it. And most people will not risk their equipment for nothing.
Xestia
OP

Post by Xestia »

Well honestly it doesn't take more than 90 minutes to get a fully prepared set ready from scratch. Of course it takes more time to prepare than fight, but that shouldn't be used as a pretext to avoid all fighting. Then there's the point that should the pvp in this game get going, there will be a whole lot more to gain than just fun. Now, I personally don't attack any unarmed person at spawn unless they attack me first, and as I've just proven to piani, it's nearly impossible for a spawn camper to kill a specific (clean inventory) person if they try to run.