World Boundary

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started

[UNOFFICIAL] Opinion poll on what's preferred

Boundary stays up and nothing else is done at all
5%
Boundary stays up, but we try one or more other options
18%
Boundary is simply removed, nothing else happens
14%
Boundary is removed, and we try other solutions
34%
More events
16%
Remove beds
2%
Add teleportation
11%

Total votes: 44

EggThief
in iron armor

Re: World Boundary

Post by EggThief »

LoneSoldier55 wrote:After reading 50 additonal posts on this topic, I'd like to say a few things:

1) Youngs, you need to stop forming opinons for me and using me an example, I'm not your fucking tool.
2) I don't like the idea of Teleportaiton commands or portals because that negates the need of the building of quick and effective transportation. This means that minecart rails and nether passageways are rendered completely obsolite. The reason that the nether was added and as well as functional minecart systems is BECAUSE it takes so long to travel by foot in minecraft, if there is a frequented area you can go through, you can build a railway to and from it to ferry you, other players, and supplies along. And you can even save 8 times the rails by simply using the nether. Now of course, there are complications to things like this. There are pro's and con's to making a frequented rail system that you have to keep in mind. What if someone finds it? Make a failsafe.
Teleportation commands and portals render the modes of transportation added to minecraft completely useless. "Why should I spend 32 iron and gold blocks on rails when I can just use 10 obsidian to make an instant teleportation to anywhere?"

Just consider that.
I agree that having the power to make your own portals would get out of hand, thats why I want set ones at a minium of 5k because it decreases the journey without taking ALL of the work out of getting to spawn and back. I know there may be better solutions but not many have been brought to light yet.

Also with reguards to Rev's /spawn idea, I think it would be way too easy to flee from battle or from people. Take for example(I know this sounds a bit sinister) if you stumble across a lesser equipped group, they realize they are at a disadvantage and so do you. You pretend to befriend them with the idea of betraying them but they decide to gather their valubles and slip away using /spawn when youre not looking. I feel like it could take away some of the danger of an anarchy server.
RevStoningpot
Moron
Location: first star to the right and straight on till morning

Post by RevStoningpot »

some one said somewhere else about delays or some such that could possibly be implimented to make escape tp less a problem. of coarse i wouldn't be in favor of any tp that can be used as a life saver.
FoSchnizzle
Moron

Post by FoSchnizzle »

It was me that said that, unless someone else brought it up, but yeah. On previous servers I played on there were things like the fact that after a /home or a /spawn command, you had to stand still for 3 seconds, and you couldn't use any of them within 30 seconds of using such a command.
Gnatogryz
hated the previously assigned rank

Post by Gnatogryz »

TP commands are everything the word "vanilla" stands against. But maybe when it's just the /spawn command, set up with a long cooldown and pretty long charge-up time, it won't have a negative impact on the vanilla "feel".
Bloop the poop
Moron

Post by Bloop the poop »

No, I think it would be a useful tool for combatloggers, regardless of the charge-up time and all that shit. We need a modded version of it that prevents the use of it within maybe 10-30 seconds of taking damage.
Gnatogryz

Post by Gnatogryz »

Bloop the poop wrote:No, I think it would be a useful tool for combatloggers, regardless of the charge-up time and all that shit. We need a modded version of it that prevents the use of it within maybe 10-30 seconds of taking damage.
As far as I remember, Essentials provide that kind of configuration.
FoSchnizzle
Moron

Post by FoSchnizzle »

And Yukar has said. This server was NOT MEANT AS A VANILLA SERVER. Just simplicity. No complications. No pages of reading to learn the server mods.
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

Still, this cuts down the cons of making a base far out. You have to choose between the either "Constant PVP and easy acsess to spawn, but at the cost of being very close to it, thus increasing chances of being found" or the "Lesser PVP very far away from spawn, however transportation to and from spawn increases to deal with PVP."

Any form of teleportation means that living far away from player contact doesn't have any consequences, only benefits. There should be a penalty for living far away from spawn, and that means it takes much longer to travel to and from events and general PVP areas.
worldruler086

Post by worldruler086 »

You make a point. That also makes me wonder why we added the damned limit then. We're just saying "you can go far out guys, but you can be at spawn at an instant." Being far out only would be really far out if you didn't live there.
Box
in iron armor

Post by Box »

Then again, what we all seem to want, or pretend to agree on, is that extra bit of interaction between players regardless of distance. This might very well outweigh the need of pe.. everything.